Coeur Mining

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
2.5

Mitchell Krebs

overall it was good - a lot of organizational / communication / planning problems led to a lot of headaches

Current Employee - Ore Control Geologist
    Current Employee - Ore Control Geologist

I have been working at Coeur Mining full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule was good, a lot of fun work to be done, can lead to a lot of training in different areas of mine geology. There is a lot of room for work to be done. Expect things and plans to change, constantly - all needed to be done yesterday.

Cons

Really hard to stay ahead - the lack of communication and planning on some affects everybody at different levels. I found myself stretched too thin with responsibilities that I was not being compensated for - yet responsible to respond to when something was incorrect or needed fixing.

Please, meetings suck, we all know, but if the upper levels had a more clear picture of what to do on a weekly basis then we wouldn't be running around like chickens with thier heads cut off.
    Pay your employees the position title you give them!!!!!!

Reactionary Leadership / No Accountability

I worked at Coeur Mining full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was fair and the offices in Chicago are well outfitted and located centrally. On average, all of the people that work here are nice but its bad apples certainly do spoil the environment.

Cons

The indecision (moodiness/reactionary nature) of senior management make it difficult. As another reviewer commented, leadership says one thing yet their actions do not match their words. Policies that are championed to the company as a whole are circumvented by the very people championing the initiative when they have a smaller audience or when they think circumstances require a shortcut.
    The in-fighting between operations and development is comical (as is the air of superiority many people in the office possess).

All the cliches apply here... Hold people accountable, including yourselves. Practice what you preach. Address policies and procedures and then enforce them.
    Finally, I would suggest they get some perspective. The company hasn't become an innovative industry leader just because it moved to a first class city. It's a mining company and the people doing the real work are at the mines. Some personnel in the corporate office should be reminded that they aren't the ones doing the real work.

Typical mining company

I worked at Coeur Mining

Pros

Can't think of any pros.

Cons

Can't trust any of the executives; they say one thing and do another. They use people and then lay them off once they get what they need from them. Complaining to HR will get you no where and most likely fired. Very political company where someone will stab you in the back if they can get ahead or make themselves look better.

Replace the toxic VP's that are ruining your company.

Unique learning experience in a beautiful setting.

Former Employee - Environmental Technician in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Environmental Technician in Juneau, AK

I worked at Coeur Mining full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The range of professionals provide a unique working environment with lots of educational opportunities. Flexible work schedule allows setting aside vacation time easy. Compensation is generally reasonable considering cost of living in Alaska. Benefits are great.

Cons

Inter-departmental communication is difficult at times. Opportunities for advancement is limited, meaning it takes several years to make any change in position, which is difficult for someone starting out.

Share the workload with lower level employees to provide opportunities for advancement and career growth.

a good start in the mining industry

Current Employee - Mechanic in Juneau, AK
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Juneau, AK

I have been working at Coeur Mining full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok and the pay is fair for a mining job. There is room for growth and chances to climb the ladder with in the mine. If you like being out side it is a beautiful area with black bear, eagles, whales, witch makes it the best view from a office you could have.

Cons

Company does not stick to their policies, and is very unorganized. Makes it very frustrating to do your job efficiently. They also give a lot of false promises about moving expenses and raises. It also is a camp job so your time from home is a huge con in my opinion. I work 14 days on and 7 days off. Would be nice if they would change the schedual so when I have time off it is more at one time.

Make people liable for the things they do wrong and make the mine more organized

Great Internship

Former Employee - Mine Engineering Intern in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Mine Engineering Intern in Juneau, AK

I worked at Coeur Mining as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Varied work assignments. Extremely competent and knowledgeable direct supervisor. Supervisor and co-workers would take the time to train me in new skills. Friendly work environment.

Cons

I can't think of any major negatives.

Lack of Senior Leadership

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Coeur Mining full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good people at the mine sites and technical team at the corporate office.

Cons

Senior leadership totally missing...it is a free for all with executives fighting tooth and nail for territory. No communication; you do what you are told and no more.