Coffey Communications, Inc.

www.coffeycomm.com

Coffey Communications, Inc. Reviews

3.5

Alan Coffey

Staff has great creative energy, but rigid policies can get in the way

Former Employee - Editor in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Editor in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Universally excellent co-workers, creative, dedicated, hard-working, young, energetic and kind. Family owned company really makes an effort to create good company culture with fun events. Generous profit-sharing bonuses. Above-average PTO. Convenient office in a growing town.

Cons

Compensation well below market rate for the NW. HR department when I was there was only one person, managing HR duties for 100+ employees. Management was very tight lipped, people would just disappear from the office with no explanation. Mostly men promoted to manager/director level and up (lots of young female creatives being managed by middle-aged men.)

Get control of the rumor mill by being more transparent about firings. Update dress code and compensation policy to attract and retain creative talent.

Nov 15, 2013

Our CEO often says that he wants our company to be “the best at getting better.” In response to these particular comments, we have been striving over the years to improve in many of the areas ... More

Good people, poor team makeup, wasted potential.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• Small family owned company with genuinely nice people.
    • CEO always present and available for conversation.

Cons

• Very strict and rigid, micro-managed, little room for creativity.
    • Low compensation and raises are hard to come by.
    • Little diversity in staff, most employees have been at Coffey for many years and do not work well with non-senior employees.
    • Very little blending of ideas and poor communication.
    • Co-workers "tell" on one another to superiors for mistakes and issues rather than working together. This goes along with very poor team makeup and collaboration.
    • Work load varies greatly, some weeks are overwhelming followed by weeks of no work at all.
    • Atmosphere lacks energy and inspiration, very quiet and somber environment with lots of checklists and micro management.
    • Very little responsibility and opportunities given to non-senior members of team.
    • High turnover rate for new hires.
    • New hires are undervalued and under appreciated. I have seen many creative and talented people frustrated and eventually leave Coffey because they were not given an opportunity to express themselves and furher their career.

Study and respect the individuality of each player and handle them accordingly. – John Wooden, UCLA Basketball Coach from 1948 to 1975

I was hired based on my work and achievements of years throughout school, internships and professional employment. Months later I found myself with less responsibility and challenges than any job or internship I had ever had. I was undervalued as an employee based on my age and years of experience. Unfortunately it was to such a degree that I did not learn or grow in my field since I never had much of a challenge to take on. Coffey was important as a financial crutch in my life post recent graduation but it was a road block for career development.

In conclusion, my advice would be to listen to employees, understand their strengths. Work on a more balanced team. Give employees opportunities to grow and shine, not sit and rot.

A good employer for a smaller town, great employer for families.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walla Walla, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coffey fosters a positive and respectful work environment, and encourages a healthy and well-balanced life outside of the office. Work is variable and engaging.

Cons

Pay scale is consistently slightly below average and opportunities for personal growth can be variable.

Fantastic place to work!

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc.

Pros

Friendly, creative coworkers and a leadership team that truly cares about the employees. It's a collaborative environment, and the work is interesting and stimulating. Good benefits. Walla Walla is a cool little city, and Coffey has a great reputation in the community (makes getting approved for your first apartment lease a breeze!).

Cons

If you're from a big city, Walla Walla can take some getting used to—but it has a lot to offer.

Wonderful coworkers, but management could use some work

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc.

Pros

"Salt of the earth" coworkers, a team-based organization, staff events, a very structured environment

Cons

Very political environment, lack of respect from supervisor, expect overtime, micromanagement, favoritism to certain coworkers,

Listen to your employees, seniority doesn't merit management role

The people are great, pay is not

Current Employee - Web Designer in Walla Walla, WA
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Walla Walla, WA

I have been working at Coffey Communications, Inc.

Pros

Excellent co-workers, supervisor, Christmas time at Coffey

Cons

The crappy health care benefits

Talk to the little people

Nov 15, 2013

We appreciate the frustration of this former employee and are sure they are referring to our switch from a $250 deductible PPO to a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2007. This was undeniably a ... More

Weird Vibe

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc.

Pros

strictly 9-5, easy commute if you want to live in Walla Wall. You don't.

Cons

Most unhappy, depressing company I've worked for. Some nice people, but mostly not. ZERO laughs, really weird vibe. Wanted to leave after the first day.

Nov 15, 2013

This is obviously something that is very unsettling for us to hear. Through our selection and recruitment process, we try to ensure that it will be a good fit for every new employee, but it’s not ... More

Coffey Communications -- Not perfect, but close.

Former Employee - Production Editor
    Former Employee - Production Editor

I worked at Coffey Communications, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the positive work environment. The people I worked with were very nice and were always ready to help you if they could. I worked a fair amount of overtime, but it was always because I found it necessary to meet a deadline, never thrust upon me arbitrarily.

It's a family-owned and operated company that I believe actually cares about its employees and its community and that is evidenced by the number of community events and causes the company supports, both at the corporate level and by encouraging and enabling the involvement of individual employees in their own service projects.

It would be easy to say the company should pay better or that its benefits package should be more extensive. But I found it fair and I believe the company provides its employees with all that it can while still maintaining its profitability. After all, companies are not in business as community service agencies. Their goal is to prosperr. And Coffey does so the right way -- by growing its business and adapting to the changing needs and demands of its client base, not by slashing payroll and laying off workers.. And, as an employee, one got the feeling that in a dire personal emergency, the company would do what it could to help out.

I can't speak for the perceptions of others -- one can always find people who had a bad experience or who just didn't work out for one reason or another) but I have worked for an number of companies in 35 years of consistent employment and Coffey is unique in its affirming, service-oriented approach to its customers, its employees and its community service.

As the title of this review suggests, there are no perfect companies and one will always find former employees and others whose viewpoint is far less sanguine than my own. I can only speak from my own experience working at Coffey Communications and say that I found it excellent. If you are a hard-working, conscientious employee who enjoys doing good work for a progressive, growing company, Coffey stands an excellent chance of earning your loyalty. It certainly did mine.

Would I recommend this company to prospective employees? You bet! Would I go back and work for them again? If the circumstances were right, I definitely would.

No company is perfect. I'm sure Coffey has its flaws -- and people only too happy to point them out -- ,but as an organization and a corporate citizen, it is among the best.

Cons

Hmmm...Sometimes the workload was a little heavy, but not unbearable. Besides, I asked to be loaded up, so I can't blame management for complying with my own request. And if the pay was a little better I never would have left. But then, I never asked for a raise, so I can't blame Coffey for that. Maybe I should have.

Same advice I would give to all senior managers: Make it a point once a week to walk through the building and just say hello to people and even chat for a moment. No big production or anything, just a simply Hi lets employees know they are thought of as people and not just cogs in the machine. It's great for building loyalty too. (As a caveat here, however, I would point out that Coffey execs may be doing this already and I was just too busy with other things to notice. But I would point out that when I did bump into Coffey executives, they knew me by name, which is something I greatly appreciated.)