Coffman Engineers Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
4.6

Coffman Engineers Founder, Chairman, CEO David Coffman
David Coffman

Great company, bright future!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment, great people. Plenty of opportunities for personal growth. Company is always on the look out for new markets and committed to finding great people. Opportunities to travel to other offices for larger projects and training.

Cons

Huge variety in work, difficult for some to switch between projects, I see the diversity on work as a huge perk!

Great place to work

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time

Pros

A growing company that values keeping the small company mentality that has worked so well. Very personal coworkers and everyone works well together. Family is valued at this company.

Cons

Nothing notable at this time.

Great Consulting Engineering and Employer

Current Employee - Engineer III  in  Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engineers, and all other employees, are given opportunities for growth and development. Supervisors provide employees tools and advice needed to be successful, but do not micromanage. Company size is large enough to handle big projects but still strives to maintain the small company atmosphere. Variety of project types typically keep workload interesting. Fair compensation, benefits, and bonuses. Flexible hours and paid time off. Coffman values an employee's time and family outside of the work place. Overall, fun place to work.

Cons

Staff, particularly engineers, are expected to be able to handle a wide variety of project types; not necessarily the place for people who would like to specialize in a certain area of expertise. Salaries typically cannot compete with some large oil companies.

Continue to maintain the Coffman Culture during the company's rapid growth. Resist adopting corporate policies and the corporate environment that stifles individual's opportunities and make offices less enjoyable places to work. Take care in leadership transitions. Coffman has excellent leaders nearing retirement, and some good up-and-coming 30+ year old engineers, but few 40+ year old engineers inline to fill potential voids in leadership positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a relatively large company with presences in multiple locations, Coffman is refreshingly non-corporate. Everyone seems to genuinely like what they do, care about their coworkers, and want to be here. I have experience with several major Seattle-area engineering firms, and Coffman is by far the best I've worked for.

Cons

There are a few employees, that while pleasant, can be at times too overzealous about certain policies.

Continue to give younger staff opportunities to grown and move up within. As great as Coffman is, it's possible that eventually some will feel like their isn't room above them and will seek an opportunity to move up somewhere else.

Continue to help department managers grow in their ability to shepherd and manage their staff.

great place to work, great environment and people

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think they value their employees. Little things like beer and get togethers go a long way for office moral. Yes I truly believe in office moral! If you do not have to go each day to a job but instead a place you enjoy it makes work that much easier. I appreciate the effort from everyone to make this place what it is.

Cons

I think the base salary is low. The benefits costs are on the higher side and coverage isn't that great. I think if they improved the benefits and retirement the base salary could stay where it is.

It might be nice for other departments to know what your department is doing and visa versa. This would ensure that no single department is slammed for months on end!

supportive work environment, high performance team work and overall great company culture.

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive and productive teams, high employee engagement and a good work life balance.

Cons

Typical cubicle office setting without much large rooms for team collaboration.

Expanding into another floor in the building while expanding more collaborative shared space for multiple disciplines to work together.

Coffman Engineers is my second family and a great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people at Coffman are all professionals - from our receptionist to the President. Integrity mixed with a can-do attitude blend to make this a very exciting place to work. Management is always looking for more ways to make our office a special, fun place to be. This is not your normal company.

Cons

Sometimes our customers, who just keep coming back year after year, want us to do a large portion of their projects. It is hard to say no and that sometimes results in some deadlines that require some overtime...but we get paid for those hours or can take the hours as comp time to extend vacations, etc.

Keep doing what you are doing and listening to the great suggestions that come from the whole staff. I plan to retire here!

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A whole lot of perks. The perks come in the form of company sponsored events that most places do not offer but Coffman seams to encourage. The principals encourage an employee driven culture and they help foster a fun work environment by allowing a lot of company sponsored events that were suggested by the employees. For example we have a company picnic, company golf tournament, carousel night in Riverfront Park, Third thirsty Thursday (night at the local pub) Halloween party, Christmas party, ping pong tournament, Office putt-putt tournament, birth day celebrations, and many more.
    In conclusion Coffman Eng. Is a group of very intelligent and competent individuals who take pride in the work and in the atmosphere they work in.

Cons

Work load can get a bit large.

Keep your hands on the wheel of the company culture.

Great people. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Structural Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than a year

Pros

A strong, secure company plus ethical and sincerely caring about their family of employees. I've been in the industry for over 30 years and never have seen such a great combination. I love working for people who want to help me as much as I want to help them.

Cons

You are given all the responsibility that you request, so sometimes people take on more than they can handle. Management is supportive, but you need to be ready to admit you need help.

Try to improve the sense of connection between offices. Principals are well connected, but the employees don't interact enough to feel like they're part of the large & happy group.

This is a positive, solutions and team oriented company where the final result and not individual egos drives the team.

Current Employee - Engineer III  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have long appreciated the understanding of the human element everyone brings to their job. As peers we look to support each other professionally, socially, personally, and even spiritually. I have never felt I couldn't bring a need to my management and ask for help in addressing that need, whether it was professional or personal. Clients often bring us their challenging problems and I greatly enjoy our collaborative approach to problem solving. I appreciate how fun and relationships are valued as well as our quality of work.

Cons

Workload is not always consistent.. Some clients delay, some require difficult deadlines. This can lead to times when work unexpectedly overlaps and there is just a lot to do. Because we are customer service oriented, sometimes we push hard to finish something for a client even if what they need or want means some sacrifice on our part. The good thing is that we all recognize that we can't operate that way all the time and the company does not have that kind of expectation of its employees.

It's always important for management to keep in mind the tension between shaping the client's expectations and desires, tempering their most extravagant requests, while still being "yes" oriented and customer service focused. Our continued emphasis on team cohesiveness is important too. We do a good job of that now, and I want to see us keep that up.

Worked for Coffman Engineers? Contribute to the Community!