Coffman Engineers

Updated December 18, 2014
4.7

Coffman Engineers Founder, Chairman, CEO David Coffman
David Coffman

What a wonderful company!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My initial attraction was to find a great engineering firm that didn't require a commute to downtown LA. What i found was an excellent group of people to work with, with interesting projects, who pay competitive salaries and provide excellent benefits. The leadership is very smart and has a lot of integrity. Great company!

Cons

Honestly, none big enough to mention. I'm very happy.

Coffman Engineers has been a great place to advance my career, without sacrificing my personal life and goals.

Current Employee - Engineer I in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work we do is very diversified, which allows each employee to grow in a broad way. Specialization is also encouraged here, with the goal that each person would do the work that they enjoy and are good at. Employers are very accommodating of requests for time off, and encourage employees to have interests and responsibilities apart from work. The culture is great, it is a fun place to be but everyone is working hard as well.

Cons

the majority of my time is spent in the office, not too many opportunities to get outside at job sites.

Great company, bright future!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great people. Plenty of opportunities for personal growth. Company is always on the look out for new markets and committed to finding great people. Opportunities to travel to other offices for larger projects and training.

Cons

Huge variety in work, difficult for some to switch between projects, I see the diversity on work as a huge perk!

Great place to work

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time

Pros

A growing company that values keeping the small company mentality that has worked so well. Very personal coworkers and everyone works well together. Family is valued at this company.

Cons

Nothing notable at this time.

Great Consulting Engineering and Employer

Current Employee - Engineer III in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Engineers, and all other employees, are given opportunities for growth and development. Supervisors provide employees tools and advice needed to be successful, but do not micromanage. Company size is large enough to handle big projects but still strives to maintain the small company atmosphere. Variety of project types typically keep workload interesting. Fair compensation, benefits, and bonuses. Flexible hours and paid time off. Coffman values an employee's time and family outside of the work place. Overall, fun place to work.

Cons

Staff, particularly engineers, are expected to be able to handle a wide variety of project types; not necessarily the place for people who would like to specialize in a certain area of expertise. Salaries typically cannot compete with some large oil companies.

Continue to maintain the Coffman Culture during the company's rapid growth. Resist adopting corporate policies and the corporate environment that stifles individual's opportunities and make offices less enjoyable places to work. Take care in leadership transitions. Coffman has excellent leaders nearing retirement, and some good up-and-coming 30+ year old engineers, but few 40+ year old engineers inline to fill potential voids in leadership positions.

The best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For a relatively large company with presences in multiple locations, Coffman is refreshingly non-corporate. Everyone seems to genuinely like what they do, care about their coworkers, and want to be here. I have experience with several major Seattle-area engineering firms, and Coffman is by far the best I've worked for.

Cons

There are a few employees, that while pleasant, can be at times too overzealous about certain policies.

Continue to give younger staff opportunities to grown and move up within. As great as Coffman is, it's possible that eventually some will feel like their isn't room above them and will seek an opportunity to move up somewhere else.

Continue to help department managers grow in their ability to shepherd and manage their staff.

great place to work, great environment and people

Current Employee - Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think they value their employees. Little things like beer and get togethers go a long way for office moral. Yes I truly believe in office moral! If you do not have to go each day to a job but instead a place you enjoy it makes work that much easier. I appreciate the effort from everyone to make this place what it is.

Cons

I think the base salary is low. The benefits costs are on the higher side and coverage isn't that great. I think if they improved the benefits and retirement the base salary could stay where it is.

It might be nice for other departments to know what your department is doing and visa versa. This would ensure that no single department is slammed for months on end!

supportive work environment, high performance team work and overall great company culture.

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive and productive teams, high employee engagement and a good work life balance.

Cons

Typical cubicle office setting without much large rooms for team collaboration.

Expanding into another floor in the building while expanding more collaborative shared space for multiple disciplines to work together.

Coffman Engineers is my second family and a great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Coffman are all professionals - from our receptionist to the President. Integrity mixed with a can-do attitude blend to make this a very exciting place to work. Management is always looking for more ways to make our office a special, fun place to be. This is not your normal company.

Cons

Sometimes our customers, who just keep coming back year after year, want us to do a large portion of their projects. It is hard to say no and that sometimes results in some deadlines that require some overtime...but we get paid for those hours or can take the hours as comp time to extend vacations, etc.

Keep doing what you are doing and listening to the great suggestions that come from the whole staff. I plan to retire here!

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Coffman Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A whole lot of perks. The perks come in the form of company sponsored events that most places do not offer but Coffman seams to encourage. The principals encourage an employee driven culture and they help foster a fun work environment by allowing a lot of company sponsored events that were suggested by the employees. For example we have a company picnic, company golf tournament, carousel night in Riverfront Park, Third thirsty Thursday (night at the local pub) Halloween party, Christmas party, ping pong tournament, Office putt-putt tournament, birth day celebrations, and many more.
    In conclusion Coffman Eng. Is a group of very intelligent and competent individuals who take pride in the work and in the atmosphere they work in.

Cons

Work load can get a bit large.

Keep your hands on the wheel of the company culture.