Cogent Communications

www.cogentco.com

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Cogent Communications – Washington – “Cogent's Corporate Headquarters”

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer

Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions(in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time(in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change(in 5 reviews)

Simple Product to Sell

Sales (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompensation is adequate, hours are predictable. Product set is easy to learn.

ConsThe price of bandwidth has dropped, and quotas have not. The environment can be very condescending at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to try and create a a better compensation plan, and not micromanage young business professionals.

A great place to work with awesome compensation if you are motivated, not for the lazy.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat compensation and benefits. Thorough training and upward mobility. Cogent Communications really invests a lot of time and money into the representatives training and development. The role turned out to be exactly what was described/promised so no surprises which is a nice change compared to some other firms in the area. Contests, spiffs and awards are top notch.

ConsFast paced environment, not for slackers or those who want to blame their failures on everything and everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on high energy recruits who understand what it takes to be successful in sales and skip the whiners.

This is Heaven if you are into being Micromanaged 24/7

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsSalary average, vacation time average, and I can not think of one other positive thing to say.

ConsGot hired and within the first 9 months had 4 different Directors each with their own process and way of managing managers ( no real training or consistency). I was manager in title only, could not interview applicants for my team (not even look at their resumes), had to submit daily checkout sheets ( YES!! Checkout sheets for managers), no support from upper management. I could not let go of any reps even when the reps were not performing (hitting their quota) and when they tested positive for drugs (HR turned a blind eye) in the workplace. No training program for managers more importantly this job is all about do what I say not as I do.Quota unattainable if you have reps that have less than 1 year tenure no shot. (you live off your base).Definitely a good ol boys club type of work environment. By far one of the worst organizations I have ever worked for. Unless you absolutely need the money many more opps out their that give you full support from upper mgmt to HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo little too late..1 VP of global sales got let go of due to poor sales and leadership... Nurture your talent maybe then your turnover rate wont be one of the highest in your industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company provides me with everything I deserve as a top performing sales professional and supports me all the way!

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI know how to sell. I have always known how to approach people, prospects, and ultimately close the deal. This is all Cogent is asking for...and in return they provide me with a seriously competitive base salary, a sexy bonus schedule, and the uncapped commissions that keep my activity level high. I was supported and nurtured throughout the training process and receive a lot of appreciation for my hard work. Most companies let their people bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars and expect to only pay their sales reps the bare minimum. Not Cogent! I will make over $123k this year and the sky is the limit!!!

ConsSeeing the unexperienced sales reps come in a complain when they realize sales can be frustrating. Of course! But if you know the sales game, you will love Cogent. If you expect money to walk up and beg you to put it in your wallet, this is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps top grading would help to keep the teams as competitive as possible. A little competition goes a long way!

Good Small Company

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood potential, good managment, high quality product

Consniche market, have to find your own leads

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Terrible Experience

ProsBase salary okay. Otherwise, little opportunity for growth and sustained employment.

ConsUnrealistic expectations leads to mass turnover. Use of Siebel and governing rules, pits sales reps against each other.

Regional Account Manager

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDue to the high demand for employees with experience selling fiber circuits, you will find Cogent is a good place to cut your teeth prior to moving on to somewhere else as all they sell is fiber.

ConsMaking good money here takes a LONG time and it will take you far longer to make your first sale here than in other telecom companies which sell voice services as well. Internally, there is a battle between the local sales leadership and upper sales management about the plan to attack the market. Upper sales management believes this to be an inside sales job while the sales managers want it to be an outside sales job. Sales reps are very confused about how to attack the market because the directives from local sales leadership and corporate are in conflict. Turnover rate at least in the my market is VERY HIGH and has been for several years. The base salary is also quite low and more in line with an entry level sales position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the message more consistent from corporate down through local sales leadership. Reassess the starting salary as more senior sales reps cannot live on it while they ramp up through the long sales cycle. You have a good product and you should do more to advertise it to the public at large as business owners do not know who we are. BUY SOME LAPTOPS FOR THE SALES PEOPLE SO THEY CAN WORK FROM HOME!!! They don't have to be top of the line, but for pete's sake some people would like to be able to work from home in the evenings with full functionality and not use VMWare and their personal computers because you guys are so cheap.

Sales

Sales (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Proslearn a lot about the industry

Cons100% Outside sales position. flaky managers. unstructured. favoritism. constant yelling and unprofessionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people are actually doing what you ask, rather than implementing there own techniques.

Good money but management is terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat commission if you are willing to put in that work!

ConsTerrible management, micro management. Reps undercutting you for sales. High turnover rate in offices. You will meet a new rep every other week.....and a new manager if he can handle the stress. You can get promoted and demoted in one week.....with no reasons.
    They make up policies as they go.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management with 15+ years of experience.....

Couldn't wait to get out of this company

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI can't think of any

Cons- Sale cycle is extremely long -takes forever to make a sale.
    - Compensation isn't up to par with the work that you do
    - Manager was not smart
    - Manager made fun of resumes that came in with current employees
    - Atmosphere was racist

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!