Cogent Communications

www.cogentco.com

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Cogent Communications – Washington – “Cogent's Corporate Headquarters”

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer

Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions(in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time(in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change(in 5 reviews)

Just a job

ProsIf you work for a good boss, it can be fun and a good job. If you don't... outta luck!

ConsJust hope management likes you...

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base for larger cities!

Good job, great pay with bonus ramp up the sales cycle is a bit long.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMoney, great paid training in Washington D.C. great way to learn to effectively prospect.

ConsThe Micro mangers killed the cat, my manager tried to treat us all like we were on the same entry level and get on every call and usually blow them sky high.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the micromanagement it really goes to some of the managers heads.

Great Sales Organization

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsObviously the genius claiming that Cogent is dishonest for creating fake reviews failed to realize that the repetitive introduction on the review is pre-generated from a field entry when you submit a review. With that being said, I am no stranger to sales, but I am new to telecom. My initial impression of this highly sales-centric organization has been surpassed in a variety of ways. The upper management is readily available to assist the reps in anyway they can. I can literally dial Dave's (CEO) VoIP extension, if he'll pick it up. While the base salary is modest, the commission and bonus structure is fantastic for people who are willing to work hard. 99% of people that complain about how terrible a sales role in a company is happens to be that lazy person making 10-15 calls a day complaining about closing 1 deal every 2 months, instead of making 50-100 calls a day and closing 5-6 deals a month. The quota is easily attainable with the proper work ethic.

ConsThe sales territory is much too large (all of North America).

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire new reps to focus on their local market for at least 6 months, if not a year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall positive experience

Pros- Great pricing
    - Casual environment
    - Large sales territories
    - Improved employee retention policies

Cons- Limited product set
    - Reps don't get paid to retain customers
    - CRM policies result in potential customers getting annoyed with new reps calling each month

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to add new services product set (i.e. voice, security, cdn)

Transactional Sales

Global Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun place with a lot of young people. Sales were quick, products are simple, processes streamlined.

ConsHigh turn over for those who were not able to figure out the"system'. Salary low for industry.

You know things are pretty bad there when a company has to make up positive reviews

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHow can you list a pro when a company is this dishonest?

Cons1st Notice how every review with 4 stars or more starts with the same "I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than X years"?

2nd There aren't that many people that have worked at Cogent that long

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of making things look like they're not to prospecting employees, just improve the work environment

Entry Level Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Good place to gain sales experience
    * Good training programs for their products
    * Standard hours - no overtime needed

Cons* micro-management
    * quota is not realistic
    * pitch to potential employees is misleading regarding income potential
    * limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time
    * policies and procedures make most employees feel like children - unless entry level

Great place for motivated Sales people

Account Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- great product & very competitive pricing
    - several merit-based salary increases & no commission cap
    - experienced management team from top to bottom
    - easy access to technical & sales resources
    - relaxed but professional atmosphere

ConsCogent is not a good fit for a temporary job (6-12 months) or someone seeking a Sales position that involves minimal effort because they just want to get by on their base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove certain systems and processes to enhance overall efficiency.

Working at Cogent Communications is a pleasure, great company, very competitive products.

Global Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat teams, great support, assistance from management

ConsAggressive low prices make it more chalenging to reach full quota

Achievable quota and great commission payout!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCogent offers a simple product set making it easy for new sales reps to understand and sell even without background in telecoms. They provide sales and technical training and the opportunity to meet and converse with the top executives of the company, including the CEO. The pre and post sales processes are not complex and you are provided with great tools to efficiently and effectively do your job. With the right attitude, anyone will have the potential to be successful and make a lot of money.

ConsNo work from home policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more attractive base salary and benefits package to promote employee retention and satisfaction and attract more interests from prospective employees. Revisit rules of engagement and make it less stringent. Expand referral program.

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!