Cogent Communications

www.cogentco.com

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Cogent Communications – Washington – “Cogent's Corporate Headquarters”

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer

Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions(in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time(in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change(in 5 reviews)

Tough at times, but compensable.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNice comp plan - account manager base salary and total earning potential is pretty good. Casual atmosphere. Well-designed network with plenty of expertise available to sell and support it. Very sellable price points (too low at times).

ConsThe work can be tedious (hundreds of cold calls). Managing the CRM so that you don't lose accounts requires diligence and focus - if you lose one you could lose a sale. The process for getting an account back (or any other approval) involves at least three layers of management. The management team lacks leadership ability (generally). Too many administrative rules (don't document this, do document that, don't work after this hour or before that hour).

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow hiring/firing to be at the discretion of the manager, but hold them accountable to the headcount based on team production. E.g., if the manager believes he/she can consistently bring $20,000 in revenue monthly with 9 employees, let him but he must have a minimum of 7). Focus on higher-level matters of importance. The notes and rules of the CRM should not be a daily topic of conversation. Finally, all "promos" need to be case-by-case (I shouldn't have to wait four months for a "3yr on a 1yr" promo to roll around if that would get the deal sold today).

Achievable quota and great commission payout!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCogent offers a simple product set making it easy for new sales reps to understand and sell even without background in telecoms. They provide sales and technical training and the opportunity to meet and converse with the top executives of the company, including the CEO. The pre and post sales processes are not complex and you are provided with great tools to efficiently and effectively do your job. With the right attitude, anyone will have the potential to be successful and make a lot of money.

ConsNo work from home policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more attractive base salary and benefits package to promote employee retention and satisfaction and attract more interests from prospective employees. Revisit rules of engagement and make it less stringent. Expand referral program.

good technology firm

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

Prosgreat pricing on product
    simplified product set
    good benefits and fair pay

Consnot a great support structure
    niche market
    high quotas
    low advancement opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementwork on employee development will go a long ways including developing future managers out of exsisting staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Career. 5+ year employee

Global Account Manager (Current Employee)

Proseasy to penetrate new business
    great support team
    transparent data base.
    aggressive pay structure
    easy to obtain over-achievement bonuses

I have been with Cogent over 5 years and have worked my way through the ranks. started as an entry level regional account manager and got promoted 3 times within 5 years. They have thought me everything about the telco world. Management vigilantly tries to help you progress within Cogent. Anyone who writes reviews about Cogent clearly did not try hard enough. This could be one of the easiest ISPs to work for.

Consyou can get caught up in administrative work but if you organize yourself this should not be an issue.

Great experience so far and already received a pay-bump with plenty of potential down the road.

Customer Account Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

Pros- Cogent has one of the best products in a very competitive industry (ISP) and does not have a convoluted product set that is impossible to support
    - Easy access to technical experts/support, each office is designated an Engineer
    - Evert month the customer base and revenue stream grow and a publicly traded company
    - Eligible for pay bumps every 6 months and can use a rolling average
    - Professional atmosphere with a casual feel - No suits!
    - Do your job well and you will not be micro-managed
    - Company trips
    - Great relationships with management
    - Open door policy, not a top-down organization where recommendations are scrutinized
    - High quality assurance and process oriented. Can be tedious but it is for the best
    - Plenty of coaching opportunities. You are not thrown into a shark-tank and left in a sink or swim environment

Cons- I do miss face-to-face meetings
    - Commute not the best (at least for me)
    - Some outdated hardware (PC's, printers, etc)
    - Quota is hard to obtain, but bumps are not based on full quota
    - Does not offer an HSA
    - Can take awhile before commission on a certain deal is paid out

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the product top notch and keep growing the network and Cogent will continue to flourish.

Ready to be another one of the cattle...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIn a year...the only one is that if your manager likes you, you will go far. Embrace the "group think" mentality and your comp will soar.

ConsPeople are just a commodity at Cogent in this job market. The impression is that, either do what you are told, or there is someone waiting to fill your shoes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat current employees well by acknowledging service. Provide opportunities for continuting ed outside of the 'sales' channel, regardless of the CW.

HR and Management are sales people. Don't believe what they say.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-If you consider paying $300/month for basic healthcare and benefits package, then they have one.
    -Expense reimbursement. Taking clients out for drinks-Dinner can be fun.
    -If you're smart, you can use it as a good stepping stone to make real money
    -Almost guaranteed employment for 6 months.

Cons-With the way their incentive plan is set up, management is rewarded for having more staff on deck no matter how little they produce so are the recruiters so they'll flat out lie about commission to get you in.
    - If you last a year, you'll be a veteran
    -Negativity. Every sales employee wants out and is miserable so things are pretty catty.
    -Managers are to busy trying to replace employees to actually help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blaming employees and finally take a look at your business model. What worked in 1999 isn't working with competitors evolving and 10X the sales force.

Networking Bootcamp

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWith this being such a small organization we work on issues and equipment comparable positions at rival companies would never have access to. Its a great position and company to learn the ins and outs of edge networking.

ConsThe pace can be pretty brutal at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement overall is great. It would greatly assist workers to have a defined way to move around within the company. As it stands finding other intra-company positions can be pretty political.

Poor culture

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere are no pros to this job.

ConsABC transaction based sales only. Very little room to grow professionally or personally

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your reps do their jobs the way they know how to,

It's an okay job, not easy, long hrs.

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsAlmost guarantee work for the 1st 6 months, if you do your daily activities and stay out of trouble...

ConsFor the most part, It's repetitive work, depending on the market you are in... as a RAM, you'll do well if your immediate mgr knows what he/she's doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive promos more time to run.

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!