Cogent Communications

Updated September 19, 2014
2.6

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer
Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions (in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Freedom with a price.

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom to be accountable for yourself.

Cons

They make you feel like just any other rep.

Train more. Not just at the beginning of career.

Schizophrenic

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Free Soda and Coffee - chance to make money if you work it. Chance to be recognized if you can find the sales to get recognized.

Cons

Senior and VP Managment seems to be find their way out of a paper bag. Managment strategy (oxymoron in this case) changes with the temperature and you wonder if they really know what they are doing at all...

Hire real managers and not people who are "dudes" and like yourself but with no real business experience or ability to create strategy and execution.

Business Professionals

Current Employee - National Account Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simplicity in Global is achieved here.

Cons

2014 has seen many changes for the better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like sitting in an office all day making 50-100 calls a day then is a great job for you! If you do well you get paid well and can get promoted.

Cons

Health benefits were OK, training was great!! but what they teach you in training isn't what your managers convey so their is always a contradiction. Employees will not help you! There are no territories, so all employees can be calling on the same accounts, the market is saturated. Comments like "you cogent sales people are used car sales people." They only care about quantity not quality. They have 85% turnover rate!! People are constantly leaving or getting fired.

Help or fire all managers who are not on board with the training and what the new CROO message is and give them the right support. Upgrade and use Salesforce, get a lead generation program in place so employees aren't spending so much time prospecting. Help new hires transition or ensure managers are useful and helpful!

Regional Account Manager

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cogent offers very compelling value prop with in the data center space. Great training if you are new to the industry, offers compelling commission structure,

Cons

Constant infighting between CRO, VP, Director and Managers, constant 2 sides to everything very distracting and stressful even at quota, managers hire reps who are also agents who frequently shark deals from within because they will get paid wither way, very small group of employees who seem to care, no communication with other parts of the company (i.e. if you are a sales rep and need to communicate with a delivery coordinator you can get in trouble), very high turn-over, poor work life balance for a modern company you can only work from the office, no lead gen, management has a very 1980's style make lots of phone calls don't worry about LinkedIn or email mentality.

Clear out middle management, stop managers from hiring reps who are agents and can sell other providers, enable your employees to get work done from home, work on the culture no one wants to work somewhere there is constant infighting. I have seen 1 rep become a manager it took them 7 years and then after 1 year as top manager in the company he was passed over for a director position by someone from outside the industry. I have seen this more than once, this is unacceptable. Need to promote from with-in.

A mundane experience, like working for popular 17 year old at a high school, the one no one really likes.

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is decent. Training is good. People on my team were nice enough (SM not included). Hours are fair.

Cons

Overall there is a huge lack of regard for the 300+ sales reps. Especially the new hires coming in. Getting any fresh ideas, focused strategies and implementation, really depends on who your Sales manager and Director are. In my case one of the unlucky ones. Also they play favorites, every policy way possible for the 100+ seasoned (national & Global account managers), all looking to take piece of your action, which more than likely is already taken by them. New business has been hard to find because of this, so they have been trying to focus on off-net deals which are harder to come by due to pricing and lack of relationships or they are with a whole seller we do business with that we cannot go after as not to get them angry for going after business they a selling form a another provider. Sales cannibalism are this company's strengths. Which sucks for anyone looking to start off here but great for the higher ups who can just replace them with a fresh set of reps at its whimsy. If you are new to telecomm or against a telesales environment, then I would recommend not working for this company.

"Every promise that you make/break, is one less sale you are going to get and one less rep you are going to have and one more investment on a new rep you have to make. A high turner over strategy (8% of sales staff retained) is not a long term successful one."
    Adios...Cogent, the short time I have been here was quick and meaningless.

Great company with good opportunities to cash in.

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good commission structure and competitive, yet fun, environment to work in.

Cons

Felt at times as if I was fighting for sales internally as opposed to against the competition based upon the structure. For example, one could have completed the sale for ABC Company, but lose the commission if someone else was already working this company under a different DBA or rendition of said company name [A.B.C. Co.] within the CRM database.

Crazy Company

I worked at Cogent Communications

Pros

4k bonus and 2 free trips to DC for training. You know something is up when a company has to pay you to work for them

Cons

Micromanaged to death and CRM siebel system is total joke

Find a better way for sales employees to succeed instead of having them be cut throat and watch each others leads all day

Above average

I have been working at Cogent Communications

Pros

Independence, flexibility, awesome manager and co workers

Cons

The office is 2 floors under ground

You get what you pay for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

The CEO is very business savvy. Unlike similar companies in the same market space, Cogent's business is stable (largely due to focusing on core competencies and product) and so are their positions (which they've slowed added in recent years). Low to mid-level upward mobility in tech side. Good benefits and place to "learn the ropes" if you are just starting out in the industry.

Cons

The CEO is very frugal and all but controls most aspects of the business. Because of that, if he were hit by a bus (not suggesting, just being hypothetical) I do not know how long the company could keep running. I akin this to being the "Superman" from Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Also IMHO, it is being run like it is still small, which I feel is now holding the company back in various ways.

Despite what the CEO kept claiming, salaries that I have seen were below the market and was reflected in the turn-over rates. On the tech side, no company provided training is available. The technology/product is just a means to an end to make the stock holders money, I saw little evidence for any care or passion for supporting it. All of this makes Cogent an atypical, "you get what you pay for" place to work.

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!