Cogent Communications

www.cogentco.com

Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Cogent Communications – Washington – “Cogent's Corporate Headquarters”

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer

Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions(in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time(in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change(in 5 reviews)

Great company with good opportunities to cash in.

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood commission structure and competitive, yet fun, environment to work in.

ConsFelt at times as if I was fighting for sales internally as opposed to against the competition based upon the structure. For example, one could have completed the sale for ABC Company, but lose the commission if someone else was already working this company under a different DBA or rendition of said company name [A.B.C. Co.] within the CRM database.

Above average

ProsIndependence, flexibility, awesome manager and co workers

ConsThe office is 2 floors under ground

Advice to Senior Management.

Crazy Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros4k bonus and 2 free trips to DC for training. You know something is up when a company has to pay you to work for them

ConsMicromanaged to death and CRM siebel system is total joke

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way for sales employees to succeed instead of having them be cut throat and watch each others leads all day

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You get what you pay for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe CEO is very business savvy. Unlike similar companies in the same market space, Cogent's business is stable (largely due to focusing on core competencies and product) and so are their positions (which they've slowed added in recent years). Low to mid-level upward mobility in tech side. Good benefits and place to "learn the ropes" if you are just starting out in the industry.

ConsThe CEO is very frugal and all but controls most aspects of the business. Because of that, if he were hit by a bus (not suggesting, just being hypothetical) I do not know how long the company could keep running. I akin this to being the "Superman" from Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Also IMHO, it is being run like it is still small, which I feel is now holding the company back in various ways.

Despite what the CEO kept claiming, salaries that I have seen were below the market and was reflected in the turn-over rates. On the tech side, no company provided training is available. The technology/product is just a means to an end to make the stock holders money, I saw little evidence for any care or passion for supporting it. All of this makes Cogent an atypical, "you get what you pay for" place to work.

"Who are we calling? who are we calling?"

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Tysons Corner, VA

ProsSalary is decent and the commissions are better. The health insurance is great! They have an awesome training program and they have free soda and coffee. Dave (CEO) is really down to earth and approachable. If you are willing to put in the effort, be patient and stay focused you can do really well here. The new CRO is/has implemented changes that should positively affect the company as a whole. They have monthly competitions that yield some great prizes (Gift cards, televisions, iPad, etc). They have a monthly call blitz which when done correctly can be amusing. Free lunches if your teams hits monthly goals and you get free lunch the end of every month

ConsI have no major company wide complaints. It really depends on the office you're in and the type of manager and director you have. There is too much in market competition with other sales teams. There are no protected local territories, it is like the wild west. You have 30 days to crack the egg on a lead. If you can not and it is not documented, you lose the account: So if you've had a lead for 20 days and you finally get a hold of a decision maker on the 21st day, but they want you to call back in three weeks. If your manager does not feel its viable and you lose the account, someone else can pick it up where you left off. There is not enough focus on outside sales calls so you sit and make cold calls everyday! Most of the leads provided are not businesses that fit a good customer profile.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more time for Reps to work accounts. Give them enough time to have effective qualification calls. The longer reps are allowed to hold an account (w/activity) decreases the amount of phone calls a prospect gets every month from a different person at the same company. There seems to be a disconnect between sales managers and training. Reps are told in training to focus on local markets and go out into the market. Some managers just want you to smile and dial. Instead of having boiler rooms selling a commodity focus on consultative solution selling.

Tenured Rep - 2 Years with Cogent

ProsNice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set.

ConsContinually changing rules of engagement. Used to be if you held an account it was yours. Now, reps can cheat and lie and steal and are rewarded with the account and the business you worked for. New CRO made some changes, and has now reversed them after too many people hit quota. Its now harder to hit bonuses, quota is completely meaningless, since bonuses are not based on 100% of quota, but 115%. Be prepared for endless cold calls and micromanagement, unless your manager is one of the good ones in an isolated market.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what you say you are going to do. Reward your top performing reps. Paying the top 10% of your reps, who are well over quota on a quarterly basis, should not be a problem. And most importantly, respect the rules of engagement. Without them, no one is safe and no one will stay. For a company supposedly focused on tenure and growing the salesforce, you aren't showing it.

You put in what you get out.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsStructured day, allowing you to make your own business.

ConsConstant new hires of reps and managers makes it difficult to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive with reps that need help in order to succeed.

Fair

ProsTelecom Experience, fast paced environment

ConsWorking under a lot of pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging

Ok job if you love "hunter" type job sales where you find your own leads.

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsManager does not micromanage.
    The job itself is not a difficult job if you can handle making 30+ cold calls a day.
    Decent base salary and very high commissions.
    Come in at 8, leave at 5 and you can leave the job at work, and not think about it at home.

ConsNo leads, all of your potential deals you have to find, qualify, and close yourself.
    Very long sales cycle.
    Software system tracks your every move- how many phone calls you make, how long the calls are, how many emails you get in and send out, etc.
    You don't get paid on your sale until after the installation, which in most cases is 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your reps a small percentage of the sale when they close the sale and the rest of the commission when it is installed.

micromanagment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbase salary is pretty nice

Consmicromanagement, little opp for advancement, stuck in old product set consistently 2-5 years behind

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!