Cogent Communications Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.8

Cogent Communications Chairman and CEO Dave Schaeffer
Dave Schaeffer

Pros
  • Decent base salary and very high commissions (in 8 reviews)

• Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • limited product set makes them un-competitive most of the time (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate - I was there for less than a year and saw nothing but non-stop change (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Tenured Rep - 2 Years with Cogent

I have been working at Cogent Communications

Pros

Nice base, some managers are great, lots of free caffeine, great but limited product set.

Cons

Continually changing rules of engagement. Used to be if you held an account it was yours. Now, reps can cheat and lie and steal and are rewarded with the account and the business you worked for. New CRO made some changes, and has now reversed them after too many people hit quota. Its now harder to hit bonuses, quota is completely meaningless, since bonuses are not based on 100% of quota, but 115%. Be prepared for endless cold calls and micromanagement, unless your manager is one of the good ones in an isolated market.

Stick to what you say you are going to do. Reward your top performing reps. Paying the top 10% of your reps, who are well over quota on a quarterly basis, should not be a problem. And most importantly, respect the rules of engagement. Without them, no one is safe and no one will stay. For a company supposedly focused on tenure and growing the salesforce, you aren't showing it.

You put in what you get out.

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Structured day, allowing you to make your own business.

Cons

Constant new hires of reps and managers makes it difficult to keep up.

Be more proactive with reps that need help in order to succeed.

Fair

I have been working at Cogent Communications

Pros

Telecom Experience, fast paced environment

Cons

Working under a lot of pressure

Stop micromanaging

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok job if you love "hunter" type job sales where you find your own leads.

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

Manager does not micromanage.
    The job itself is not a difficult job if you can handle making 30+ cold calls a day.
    Decent base salary and very high commissions.
    Come in at 8, leave at 5 and you can leave the job at work, and not think about it at home.

Cons

No leads, all of your potential deals you have to find, qualify, and close yourself.
    Very long sales cycle.
    Software system tracks your every move- how many phone calls you make, how long the calls are, how many emails you get in and send out, etc.
    You don't get paid on your sale until after the installation, which in most cases is 3 months.

Pay your reps a small percentage of the sale when they close the sale and the rest of the commission when it is installed.

micromanagment

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time

Pros

base salary is pretty nice

Cons

micromanagement, little opp for advancement, stuck in old product set consistently 2-5 years behind

Simple Product to Sell

Current Employee - Sales  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is adequate, hours are predictable. Product set is easy to learn.

Cons

The price of bandwidth has dropped, and quotas have not. The environment can be very condescending at times.

They need to try and create a a better compensation plan, and not micromanage young business professionals.

This is Heaven if you are into being Micromanaged 24/7

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary average, vacation time average, and I can not think of one other positive thing to say.

Cons

Got hired and within the first 9 months had 4 different Directors each with their own process and way of managing managers ( no real training or consistency). I was manager in title only, could not interview applicants for my team (not even look at their resumes), had to submit daily checkout sheets ( YES!! Checkout sheets for managers), no support from upper management. I could not let go of any reps even when the reps were not performing (hitting their quota) and when they tested positive for drugs (HR turned a blind eye) in the workplace. No training program for managers more importantly this job is all about do what I say not as I do.Quota unattainable if you have reps that have less than 1 year tenure no shot. (you live off your base).Definitely a good ol boys club type of work environment. By far one of the worst organizations I have ever worked for. Unless you absolutely need the money many more opps out their that give you full support from upper mgmt to HR.

Too little too late..1 VP of global sales got let go of due to poor sales and leadership... Nurture your talent maybe then your turnover rate wont be one of the highest in your industry.

A great place to work with awesome compensation if you are motivated, not for the lazy.

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation and benefits. Thorough training and upward mobility. Cogent Communications really invests a lot of time and money into the representatives training and development. The role turned out to be exactly what was described/promised so no surprises which is a nice change compared to some other firms in the area. Contests, spiffs and awards are top notch.

Cons

Fast paced environment, not for slackers or those who want to blame their failures on everything and everyone.

Focus on high energy recruits who understand what it takes to be successful in sales and skip the whiners.

This company provides me with everything I deserve as a top performing sales professional and supports me all the way!

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

I know how to sell. I have always known how to approach people, prospects, and ultimately close the deal. This is all Cogent is asking for...and in return they provide me with a seriously competitive base salary, a sexy bonus schedule, and the uncapped commissions that keep my activity level high. I was supported and nurtured throughout the training process and receive a lot of appreciation for my hard work. Most companies let their people bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars and expect to only pay their sales reps the bare minimum. Not Cogent! I will make over $123k this year and the sky is the limit!!!

Cons

Seeing the unexperienced sales reps come in a complain when they realize sales can be frustrating. Of course! But if you know the sales game, you will love Cogent. If you expect money to walk up and beg you to put it in your wallet, this is not for you.

Perhaps top grading would help to keep the teams as competitive as possible. A little competition goes a long way!

Good Small Company

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good potential, good managment, high quality product

Cons

niche market, have to find your own leads

none

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!