Cogent Research

Cogent Research Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014

Christy White

Working at Cogent was an amazing career builder.

Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cogent Research was a great experience for the 5+ years I worked there - as an employee and then as a consultant. (I stayed connected even when I went back to school because it was such a great opportunity.) I was able to work on interesting projects while building skills I have applied in the research industry and beyond. The staff and particularly the co-partners are very supportive and kind. They care about the company and the employees. I can honestly say that the experience was a critical piece of the foundation for my career.

Cons

Like all good challenges, my experience at Cogent required some extra hours at times. But it was well worth the investment!

Leadership is not an enlighted group of people

Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Boston, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many pros for an small organization that constantly tries to be relevant and end doing whatever everybody else is doing. Not much room to growth

Cons

The top management is just interested on generating revenue no matter the consecuences.Trying to find revenue using whatever ideas or tactics are necessary to reach a goal. People are just instruments to do that. Shouting it is a common way to handle employees and then fast firings if one does not reach the revenue goals .

Pay particular attention to the dates of the "positive" reviews

I worked at Cogent Research

Pros

If you like to promise clients the world, and then massively underwhelm them - this is the place for you!

Cons

It's amazing how all the wonderfully positive reviews were submitted during one week in April (in fact, most were on the same day) and what a coincidence it just happens to be among a mix of current and former employees. Pretty slimy that company would submit their own positive reviews to try and deceive people using this site. Guess that should tell you something about how the company is run, huh?

If you're going to plant a bunch of positive reviews about yourself on this site to deceive people, consider spreading out the dates you submit them

Rewarding work, Great colleagues

Current Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogent Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The caliber of the work done at Cogent is outstanding. Incredible commitment to quality, representative data and insights that change clients businesses. Good place to build career as you get visibility at the c-level among clients, exposure to the market via press coverage, and the ability to work on sophisticated challenging research projects. Colleagues are smart, hard working people who chip in to support each other.

Cons

Long hours, travel, and all the other accoutrements of consulting work.

Tremendous career-building opportunity

I worked at Cogent Research full-time

Pros

Small group of incredibly intelligent and motivated people, all driven by a desire to produce top-quality research that was meaningful and actionable for clients. Opportunities to grow in work experience, industry knowledge, and professional networking abounded. A challenging and extremely rewarding work environment, balanced by a lot of fun off-work activities that promoted camaraderie.

Cons

Expectations were high and not every new hire was up for the challenge.

Great opportunities for career development

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogent Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, great people
    Interesting and challenging work
    Established client base including top tier brands
    Strong reputation in the industry
    Experienced leadership team with strong vision
    Growing company with positive future outlook

Cons

As a client driven business, work load can have peaks and valleys with extra hours required at times

Market research and analytics taken to the next level - my time at Cogent was key to my skill and career development

Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your only limitation at Cogent is your own initiative -- senior management is incredibly supportive of (and rewards) continuous development and innovation in terms of methodology, analytics, visualization of data, etc. The result is access to industry leaders and the most senior levels of corporate leadership, which is one of the most exciting parts of the experience here.

Specific to the financial services industry and group that I worked in, the development of my own (alongside the firm's) knowledge and insights into the market was an exciting undertaking, driven top-down by senior management that was laser-focused on providing best-in-class insights to the industry. No two days were ever the same (a definite pro in my book) and while there were a lot of challenges and obstacles to overcome, there were many gratifying accomplishments and team successes to celebrate.

Senior managers/principals are hands on, but do not micromanage - all are helpful in problem solving, resource allocation, client management, etc.

Compensation is slightly above the industry average, in my opinion, and nice extra benefits such as flexible time off in the Summer, etc. are great efforts to balance the work/life equation. Senior managers are incredibly family-oriented for themselves and their staff and acknowledge the value of personal time.

Working alongside Christy, John and Tony provided incredibly valuable, and very different, experiences - Christy is incredibly strong at process improvements/optimization and data visualization - a true market researcher. John is a talented writer and dives deep into data to find the most compelling issues and insights and shares Christy's passion for continuously challenging the firm's capabilities. Tony brings an incredible knowledge of the financial services industry, marketing research and analytic applications, etc. and was one of the greatest managers I've ever had - easy to talk to, calm, action-oriented and just a really good person.

Cons

It is an entrepreneurial spirit that drives Cogent, which means that continuous development of capabilities and aggressive sales goals are the norm - for some this can be daunting, for others, it provides a great opportunity to flourish.

In my opinion, the ideal candidate for this company is someone who has a strong internal sense of balance between their work and family life, and is able to effectively manage/apply that to their daily routine. Much of the work is deadline-oriented in a field that requires timely and actionable findings - so the ability to plan and anticipate is essential.

Passion is also essential -- Cogent Research is built upon an innovative spirit and those who are looking for a "job" instead of a "career" may not be a good fit for most roles there.

I learned so much working at Cogent Research.

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a pleasure to work at Cogent Research. There were so many opportunities to learn about the research process, client services, professionalism, survey methods, reporting, survey software, etc. Management was very open to feedback. They offered fair salaries and very good benefits.

Cons

Even if the projects were at times challenging, management was always working as hard, or even harder, right alongside their employees.

Continue to provide the exciting and enjoyable work atmosphere that you always have.

A Chance for Mentorship

Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of people at Cogent, but I remember working with Christy the most. I learned a lot from her, such as keeping calm under pressure, how to revise my work efficiently and effectively, and how to negotiate various matters. I enjoyed my time working with her because she knows how to balance managing a business, but she is also sympathetic to her employee’s needs, as well as discreet with personal matters, e.g. family deaths, illness, etc. I found her to be a supportive, approachable boss, and I hope to emulate her in future positions I myself hold.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so sometimes you need to wear more than one hat; however, it is usually temporary. As long as you have good time management skills, and know how to effectively prioritize, it should not be a problem.

Tremendous experience for those interested in managing the end-to-end research process as part of a great team.

Former Employee - Project Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is driven, hands-on, and client-centric. In particular, Christy White is a role model with whom I still engage years after leaving Cogent. She's a no-nonsense & proven leader who refuses to compromise on insight quality. While I can understand she may be polarizing based on what some others have posted here, my opinion is that those who don't like her, don't get it.

Project Directors are given independence to oversee their own client relationships. Those with skills, self awareness, and a passion to win will thrive here.

Team has a great sense of pride in the culture and work that comes out of Cogent.

--Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed my years at Cogent and look back fondly on the entire team. I only left to pursue my MBA full-time, then accepted another position at a large CPG. Although the scale of my work now is quite different, I still carry much of what I learned w/ me and look back fondly on my experience.

Cons

Amount of work can be overwhelming to some, though no more than expected for a company of Cogent's size.

Be unapologetic in your approach to your core work. In the increasingly commoditized world of market research, the human resources of a firm are often the biggest differentiators. It's often said: people don't join companies, but join the leaders who run them. As long as Christy, John, & Tony are @ the helm, MSI/Cogent will be in very good hands.