Cogent Research Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Christy White

1. Working at Cogent was an amazing career builder.

Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cogent Research was a great experience for the 5+ years I worked there - as an employee and then as a consultant. (I stayed connected even when I went back to school because it was such a great opportunity.) I was able to work on interesting projects while building skills I have applied in the research industry and beyond. The staff and particularly the co-partners are very supportive and kind. They care about the company and the employees. I can honestly say that the experience was a critical piece of the foundation for my career.

Cons

Like all good challenges, my experience at Cogent required some extra hours at times. But it was well worth the investment!

A company trying to be relevant

Former Employee - Project Assistant/Market Research in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Assistant/Market Research in Boston, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An small office on which everybody knows everybody but besides that there is no much else positive about an small competing with much larger organizations.

Cons

A family type of business run by two people trying to be relevant and doing all kinds of things to growth and generate revenue by all means possible. An small MR firm that does not have the breadth and deep of much larger and professional organizations where knowledge and expertise is respected and encouraged.

Not at the top of the industry

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many positive things about a company that is a small MR firm that chases the latest fad trying to be relevant. The only advantage is size and the fact that now is part a much larger organization that at least could give you more room to growth; not being managed by the former owners that were interested on only one thing.

Cons

The organization is very much the creature of the owners that are extremely interested on only one single thing: generate cash as fast as possible. All gravitate around this simple concept: What revenue have you brought last week, No money no job.

Leadership is not an enlighted group of people

Former Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Boston, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros for an small organization that constantly tries to be relevant and end doing whatever everybody else is doing. Not much room to growth

Cons

The top management is just interested on generating revenue no matter the consecuences.Trying to find revenue using whatever ideas or tactics are necessary to reach a goal. People are just instruments to do that. Shouting it is a common way to handle employees and then fast firings if one does not reach the revenue goals .

Pay particular attention to the dates of the "positive" reviews

I worked at Cogent Research

Pros

If you like to promise clients the world, and then massively underwhelm them - this is the place for you!

Cons

It's amazing how all the wonderfully positive reviews were submitted during one week in April (in fact, most were on the same day) and what a coincidence it just happens to be among a mix of current and former employees. Pretty slimy that company would submit their own positive reviews to try and deceive people using this site. Guess that should tell you something about how the company is run, huh?

Advice to Management

If you're going to plant a bunch of positive reviews about yourself on this site to deceive people, consider spreading out the dates you submit them

7. A Chance for Mentorship

Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of people at Cogent, but I remember working with Christy the most. I learned a lot from her, such as keeping calm under pressure, how to revise my work efficiently and effectively, and how to negotiate various matters. I enjoyed my time working with her because she knows how to balance managing a business, but she is also sympathetic to her employee’s needs, as well as discreet with personal matters, e.g. family deaths, illness, etc. I found her to be a supportive, approachable boss, and I hope to emulate her in future positions I myself hold.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so sometimes you need to wear more than one hat; however, it is usually temporary. As long as you have good time management skills, and know how to effectively prioritize, it should not be a problem.

8. Tremendous experience for those interested in managing the end-to-end research process as part of a great team.

Former Employee - Project Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cogent Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is driven, hands-on, and client-centric. In particular, Christy White is a role model with whom I still engage years after leaving Cogent. She's a no-nonsense & proven leader who refuses to compromise on insight quality. While I can understand she may be polarizing based on what some others have posted here, my opinion is that those who don't like her, don't get it. Project Directors are given independence to oversee their own client relationships. Those with skills, self awareness, and a passion to win will thrive here. Team has a great sense of pride in the culture and work that comes out of Cogent. --Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed my years at Cogent and look back fondly on the entire team. I only left to pursue my MBA full-time, then accepted another position at a large CPG. Although the scale of my work now is quite different, I still carry much of what I learned w/ me and look back fondly on my experience.

Cons

Amount of work can be overwhelming to some, though no more than expected for a company of Cogent's size.

Advice to Management

Be unapologetic in your approach to your core work. In the increasingly commoditized world of market research, the human resources of a firm are often the biggest differentiators. It's often said: people don't join companies, but join the leaders who run them. As long as Christy, John, & Tony are @ the helm, MSI/Cogent will be in very good hands.

9. Rewarding work, Great colleagues

Current Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Project Director, Market Research in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogent Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The caliber of the work done at Cogent is outstanding. Incredible commitment to quality, representative data and insights that change clients businesses. Good place to build career as you get visibility at the c-level among clients, exposure to the market via press coverage, and the ability to work on sophisticated challenging research projects. Colleagues are smart, hard working people who chip in to support each other.

Cons

Long hours, travel, and all the other accoutrements of consulting work.

10. Tremendous career-building opportunity

I worked at Cogent Research full-time

Pros

Small group of incredibly intelligent and motivated people, all driven by a desire to produce top-quality research that was meaningful and actionable for clients. Opportunities to grow in work experience, industry knowledge, and professional networking abounded. A challenging and extremely rewarding work environment, balanced by a lot of fun off-work activities that promoted camaraderie.

Cons

Expectations were high and not every new hire was up for the challenge.

11. Great opportunities for career development

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogent Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, great people Interesting and challenging work Established client base including top tier brands Strong reputation in the industry Experienced leadership team with strong vision Growing company with positive future outlook

Cons

As a client driven business, work load can have peaks and valleys with extra hours required at times

RSS Feed </> Embed