Coghlan Financial Group

cfgretire.com

Coghlan Financial Group Reviews

3.6

J. Graydon Coghlan

Great team to be a part of!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling with a friendly work environment. Co-workers are nice and easy to get along with. Family type atmosphere. The location is right across from the Westfield UTC mall. The courtyard is a very nice setting with ponds and waterfalls to eat your lunch by. The CEO is very friendly and tends to take care of his employees more than any other employer I have ever worked for. I am appreciated for my talents and get compensated for my input and efforts. This is the definition of getting out what you put in.

Cons

There may be times that you have to stay late, or come in early, but then again, most jobs can say the same. Saturday work is a possibility. Parking can be a real pain, and the traffic coming and going from work can take its toll as well.

Up-close look at financial advising

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Chance to work closely with top executives on financial planning. Would recommend this to anyone interested in becoming a financial advisor down the road. You get ample face time and the ability to ask questions regarding financial planning strategies. Advisor's here seem to truly care about their clients, which is a rarity in this industry. Co-workers seemed willing to help answer all of my questions.

Cons

Parking in the garage costs money, so I typically had to park on the street and walk to work. The office is sandwiched between two major freeways so traffic before/after work is tough.

Keep it up! I appreciate the level of care you take when handling your clients savings

Internship

Current Employee - Financial Consultant Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn more about retirement planning, wealth management, and overall -- the finance industry. Ample opportunities to have meetings and one on one discussions with the CEO. Upper management takes the time to answer all of your questions and gives you periodic feedback in order to guide you towards success. Gives great perspective for those interested in becoming a financial consultant. In addition, it is an easy commute for UCSD students and CFG works with your class schedule!

Cons

Parking can be quite challenging around 11am-3pm, especially on Fridays. However, if you work in the mornings, parking is a piece of cake and is a 2 minute walk to the building.

Good job!

I worked for CFG Wealth Management, formerly Coghlan Financial Group

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Very realistic look at how the financial services industry operates. If you are interested in becoming a Financial Advisor at some point down the road, this internship will provide a clear-cut look into what the career will demand and whether or not you will like the industry.

What I was initially concerned about was the lack of training I would be receiving. However, the company has instituted a new training program that resembles what I experienced during my time at both Wells Fargo Advisors and another independent advisory firm. So I'd consider that a plus.

What I also found curious is that multiple reviews mention the lack of face time with senior management. Perhaps there has been a change in the company culture, but I do not remember a time during my employment when I did not speak with one of the top producers. Upper management is demanding but what I woul

The financial services industry has a very high dropout rate due to the demanding nature of the work. This is what makes it consistently one of the top rated careers year after year. The high demand and even higher compensation is going to come with the territory. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Cons

* May have to work the occasional Saturday
    * You have to enjoy talking to people, you will spend a good amount of time on the phone, not a internship for a reserved person
    * High net worth clients/prospects means high expectations of the staff
    * Parking is difficult

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really open and friendly upper management. Have daily meetings with Graydon, the financial advisor here, to discuss any questions/concerns we have for the day. The job is pretty straightforward. Call prospective clients and get them in for a consult. Salary is great for an entry level job. Great for networking and getting your foot in the door if you want to be a financial advisor. Very professional and friendly work staff as well. Lots of bonus opportunities if you can get a high net worth client in, so hard work definitely doesn't go unnoticed!

Cons

They want you to work a 20hr/week minimum schedule. Kind of hard to manage if you're a full time student. I'd recommend easing back on classes if you want to work here.

Keep up the great work!

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to meet other interns

Cons

There is really no training. All you do is cold call all day. The leads are almost impossible to get. Bonus incentives are beyond reachable.

Create a training program for the interns and develop a growth path

Internship Review of Coghlan Financial Group

Current Employee - Financial Consultant Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship is marketing/sales-based and deals with the service perspective of finance. It aims to develop interdisciplinary skills that can be applied to relatively any job. Skills you will develop cater to the areas of Customer Service by dealing with a clientele ranging from ages 55 to 70, Strategic Sales by approaching each individual prospective sale differently based on altering circumstances, and also Administrative Duties by reporting your data in manners that will help your leads develop into sales during future call dates.

Another plus is that the advisors are not only open to questions, but also understanding that academics are priortized over work. Like any other job, just have a confident attitude and hard work ethic and the advisors will recognize it. I had a family issue that came up, and the senior advisor was more than willing to accomodate my needs so long as I met the internships' needs after it was resolved.

Cons

The internship does require a lot of hours per week, so if you are a full-time student taking four or more classes per quarter, then you better be prepared to dedicate most of your time to only school and work.

Great job! Only one piece of advice:

On top of interviewing for work ethic qualities, a practical application should be applied. Perhaps the management could provide a call script with responses from prospective clients based on different scenarios, and they could have the interviewees practice for five or ten minutes. Then the management would test the applicants by running different scenarios individually with them. This way, the applicants would know more what they're getting themselves into before accepting the internship position, and the management would get a better sense of the potential of applicants to excel in the internship.

This internship prepares you for the financial advising world

Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Greatly increases your interpersonal skills.
    Prepares you for an advising career by learning how to deal with potential clients
    The calls are not always easy but it teaches you discipline and calmness when dealing with an upset or dissatisfied person.
    The financial advising business is conducted mostly through calling, so this is a great way to prepare yourself to speak well and alertly on the phone; you only get one chance to make a good impression on potential clients so you need to learn how to verbalize clearly, to the point, and with confidence.
    The management is not afraid to explore new marketing techniques and is not afraid to listen to the intern's perspective and new ideas.
    The hours are very flexible with your school schedule.
    If you are dedicated and work hard, your loyalty will be rewarded.
    Possible upward movement if you put in the time.
    Pays very well for an internship...

Cons

Experience is limited to marketing techniques

Integrate teaching investments into this internship,
    I would love to see an internship where investment and marketing are taught hand in hand.

Well paid internship at a reputable comany

Current Employee - Retirement Planning Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retirement Planning Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Face time is the best tool to utilize here. Here interns get ample opportunity to interact with established and seasoned financial professionals, especially with higher level advisors such as senior VPs and the CEO
    There is also a good amount of hands on experience in the service side of the financial industry such as seminars and other events in which interns are able to meet both clients and potential clients.
    Finally the people who work here are great. The employees at the company work well together at all levels which creates a stimulating and cohesive work environment and comraderie.

Cons

It can get monotonous because the majority of the work done here by interns is on the phone, though the hours are manageable.

Treat this internship in a way which will incentivize interns to stay long and seek a career in the field of retirement planning.

Nothing special, it's a $14/hr job

Former Employee - Financial Advisory Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisory Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It pays decent for a student/entry position job.

Cons

You and a few others work in a backroom with no windows, cold calling for literally from the start of your shift 'til the end.

Get some new numbers to call, change your method entirely, whatever.