Coghlan Financial Group Reviews

3.4
J. Graydon Coghlan

1. Got My Foot In The Door

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coghlan Financial is an outstanding company to work for. The knowledge and sales skills I gained in working here have been extremely useful in building my career and in the day-to-day world. I appreciate the hands on approach this firm has in educating employees in retirement planning and giving them a realistic view on what its like if one wants to "make it" as a financial advisor. CFG has helped cultivate me into a person with vigorous sales skills and extensive knowledge in retirement, giving me the upper hand in the competitive world of finance.

Cons

Because this job is mostly composed of fast-paced, high volume sales it really isn't a job that everyone can do. If you are tenacious, positive, personable, and like a challenge- this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Casual Fridays! Just kidding. I have no advice for management, however, I do want to thank them for the opportunity in working at CFG Wealth Management. As mentioned, I gained valuable skills and knowledge into the financial world. I can attribute part of my success in this industry to what I learned in working at this company.

Up-close look at financial advising

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chance to work closely with top executives on financial planning. Would recommend this to anyone interested in becoming a financial advisor down the road. You get ample face time and the ability to ask questions regarding financial planning strategies. Advisor's here seem to truly care about their clients, which is a rarity in this industry. Co-workers seemed willing to help answer all of my questions.

Cons

Parking in the garage costs money, so I typically had to park on the street and walk to work. The office is sandwiched between two major freeways so traffic before/after work is tough.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I appreciate the level of care you take when handling your clients savings

Great team to be a part of!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling with a friendly work environment. Co-workers are nice and easy to get along with. Family type atmosphere. The location is right across from the Westfield UTC mall. The courtyard is a very nice setting with ponds and waterfalls to eat your lunch by. The CEO is very friendly and tends to take care of his employees more than any other employer I have ever worked for. I am appreciated for my talents and get compensated for my input and efforts. This is the definition of getting out what you put in.

Cons

There may be times that you have to stay late, or come in early, but then again, most jobs can say the same. Saturday work is a possibility. Parking can be a real pain, and the traffic coming and going from work can take its toll as well.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really open and friendly upper management. Have daily meetings with Graydon, the financial advisor here, to discuss any questions/concerns we have for the day. The job is pretty straightforward. Call prospective clients and get them in for a consult. Salary is great for an entry level job. Great for networking and getting your foot in the door if you want to be a financial advisor. Very professional and friendly work staff as well. Lots of bonus opportunities if you can get a high net worth client in, so hard work definitely doesn't go unnoticed!

Cons

They want you to work a 20hr/week minimum schedule. Kind of hard to manage if you're a full time student. I'd recommend easing back on classes if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. Don't waste your time

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet other interns

Cons

There is really no training. All you do is cold call all day. The leads are almost impossible to get. Bonus incentives are beyond reachable.

Advice to Management

Create a training program for the interns and develop a growth path

This internship prepares you for the financial advising world

Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greatly increases your interpersonal skills. Prepares you for an advising career by learning how to deal with potential clients The calls are not always easy but it teaches you discipline and calmness when dealing with an upset or dissatisfied person. The financial advising business is conducted mostly through calling, so this is a great way to prepare yourself to speak well and alertly on the phone; you only get one chance to make a good impression on potential clients so you need to learn how to verbalize clearly, to the point, and with confidence. The management is not afraid to explore new marketing techniques and is not afraid to listen to the intern's perspective and new ideas. The hours are very flexible with your school schedule. If you are dedicated and work hard, your loyalty will be rewarded. Possible upward movement if you put in the time. Pays very well for an internship...

Cons

Experience is limited to marketing techniques

Advice to Management

Integrate teaching investments into this internship, I would love to see an internship where investment and marketing are taught hand in hand.

Well paid internship at a reputable comany

Current Employee - Retirement Planning Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retirement Planning Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Face time is the best tool to utilize here. Here interns get ample opportunity to interact with established and seasoned financial professionals, especially with higher level advisors such as senior VPs and the CEO There is also a good amount of hands on experience in the service side of the financial industry such as seminars and other events in which interns are able to meet both clients and potential clients. Finally the people who work here are great. The employees at the company work well together at all levels which creates a stimulating and cohesive work environment and comraderie.

Cons

It can get monotonous because the majority of the work done here by interns is on the phone, though the hours are manageable.

Advice to Management

Treat this internship in a way which will incentivize interns to stay long and seek a career in the field of retirement planning.

9. Nothing special, it's a $14/hr job

Former Employee - Financial Advisory Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisory Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It pays decent for a student/entry position job.

Cons

You and a few others work in a backroom with no windows, cold calling for literally from the start of your shift 'til the end.

Advice to Management

Get some new numbers to call, change your method entirely, whatever.

10. Do not waste your time with their "internship", learn absolutely nothing.

I worked at Coghlan Financial Group

Pros

management doesn't really monitor you so its easy to do hw

Cons

All they do is have you cold call people who have already been spammed before by past interns . Most of these people are usually pissed off and do not want to talk to you. There are no goals provided and you go uncompensated no matter how hard you work. You may be desperate for internship but do not pursue this as it has gained a bad reputation among other businesses for taking advantage of college students. In my 3 months there I met with management once and it was to reprimand us for not getting enough leads.

Advice to Management

Shame on you guys for taking advantage of college students. How about you actually do some teaching instead of playing internet poker in your offices while you have 5 interns cold call potential clients. Idiots.

Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Coghlan Financial Group

Pros

Coghlan provided me with guidance in the service side of the finance industry. This internship isnt for people who are looking to be on the Corporate side. It was 3 months and 15 hours a week, It was flexible with my school schedule they had plenty of computers there so I dont understand what the below post was regarding. Their team was well trained and this is a good beginner internship

Cons

It was a lot of calling so that was a drag, but if you want to be in the sevice side you should expect that

RSS Feed </> Embed