Cognex

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cognex President, CEO and Director Robert Willett

Robert Willett

It sucks, management changes too fast and has no long term thinking.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsFun culture
    OK pay
    Good place for engineers
    New CEO
    Frisbee at lunch

ConsPoorly defined role for product marketing managers
    Senior leadership is very short-term focused
    Do not treat employees with respect
    Niche area, you will be stuck in this industry
    Poor bonus

If you need a job, you can get one here.

Cognoid (Former Employee) Natick, MA

ProsFun coworkers. Parties and socials. Halloween celebration. Listening to Doctor Bob pontificate, if only for the laughs of disbelief.

ConsLittle chance for advancement. Raises are tiny to non-existant. Bonuses are microscopic. Stock options are a nice perk but not lucrative unless you've been there for 15+ years. Employees are seen as interchangeable and easily replaceable spare parts. HR is a hopeless mess and defers to management without fail. Company considers parties, movie nights and other perks as part of employee "total compensation."

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the economy improves, Cognoids are voting with their feet. You say you don't care, but there's been a revolving door in certain areas of the company recently. It will be hard to hang on to good people--even good engineers--unless you start paying better wages and giving cost-of-living raises as a start.

Professional environment, good food, nice people.

CMS Web Administrator (Former Employee) Natick, MA

ProsThough this was only a short contract the environment was professional and the people were friendly.
    The cafeteria food was also pretty good.

ConsFor some reason my hiring manager was bothered by the Christian web site I had on my resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't discriminate against Christians.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine until I find something better

ProsThere is lots to be done and you can own as many things as you want if you ask for them.

ConsCulture is stifling, people are so over-loaded that no real work with meaningful progress can get done, work life balance is a joke.

Cutthroat corporate culture with arrogant middle management.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsThe technology is very cool. The algorithms developed by Cognex are world class. Some very smart engineering talent works in Natick. Also, the sales force is extremely motivated, so it is a great place to learn how to effectively sell a technology product.

Company is global, so there are many opportunities to work/travel internationally.

ConsThe Cognex culture in Natick is far more corporate (back-stabbing) than you are initially led to believe. The turnover rate, especially in the sales force, is higher than at any other company I've worked for in the past 5 years. In two years, I have seen over 5 people in HR come and go, including an HR Director.

The game room, the cultural events, etc. are all tools used to help people forget how underpaid they are relative to the market.

Also, the cost of living in MA is such that the below-average pay makes it very difficult to work at Cognex and maintain a comfortable quality of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that you need to compensate your developing talent, or else they will take their skills elsewhere. People who have the ability to gain employment elsewhere will eventually leave if they don't feel respected by management. You can gain more through positive motivation rather than threatening people's jobs.

Quick working temple, shall moving fast

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Hsinchu (Taiwan)

Prosleading company in machine vision industry
    excellent brand in machine vision products

Consterritory decides achievement rate, means commission high or low is very in destiny.

Great place to work if you don't stay too long-was better 5 years ago

(Current Employee)

ProsSmart, fun co-workers, casual environment. Promotes a "work hard, play hard" corporate culture. Tends to have low employee turnover.

ConsEmployee contribute health care plans, management doesn't believe in pay raises, the longer you work here the less they value you, not a lot of development/promotion options. Once you top out start looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of us work for money not only for fun. Share some of that cash you have with your employees. Management could communicate more with the rank and file. Stop trying to do everything with minimal headcount.

Old Cognex is Gone. Not so sure about the new one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits
    Good people to work with
    Exciting tech
    Recognition awards when you are lucky to be chosen
    Very profitable

ConsLack of communication from upper management
    Local management hit and miss
    No real clear vision of where the company wants to go
    Too much rivalry between groups that hampers cohesiveness and communication

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to find a way to communicate with it's staff at all locations. Cognex is a growing company with multiple locations that all have a significant role to play but they treat anyone who is not at the HQ like the whipping boy.

Worked for Cognex for over 5 years. Certainly a company with a prominent and unique work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is where I cut my teeth as a manager, which I much preferred to writing code, although I still contributed at the architecture level.

ConsForced shut down and either no pay or use vacation hours for a specific week in the summer, decided by the Executive Team.

Working with a team of highly skilled colleagues, trying to build the best machine vision systems available.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros* international teams
    * great company culture
    * inspiring results

Cons* in engineering teams, success stories should be shared more often

Advice to Senior Managementprovide better progress on how the employee is performing throughout the year

Worked for Cognex? Contribute to the Community!