Cognizant Technology Solutions

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Cognizant Technology Solutions President & CEO Frank D'Souza

Frank D'Souza

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The most unethical company & money hungry.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany is growing, managers are having good time...

ConsThey hire people from US (mostly Indians who are 1-2 years near visa expiry) with all sort of verbal promises about green card.
They initiate the PERM process when the time for visa expiry is less than a year. For the PERM process they will post the advertisement incorrectly so that PERM application gets audited. In the past three years they are near to 95% audit on all PERM applications.

They do all this to send associates to India at 1/4 the package they give in US. This way they don't have to spend money for direct hiring in India and they get the creamy layer for a very low price.

This is not the end, when they move people to India they won't pay the full lease breakage. The max is two months rent. They don't pay for relocating household items. Above all, the managers will screw your life if you raise your voice.

Very honest advice don't join this company in US
If you have green card or US citizen things could be different otherwise be ready to shell out money and don't expect any support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about people who work and makes money for you to achieve your revenue target. If they are gone, this company will not grow.

Stagnant

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions

ProsThere is good experience to be had with some clients.

ConsLack of promotions, insulting salary increases for promotions, no career path defined, no recognition for employees going above and beyond. Poor environment to work in. Poor leadership communication within the North American division and the company in general. Poor HR communication regarding the many changes in policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Quality is going down

Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLot of opportunities to learn.

ConsLot of politics.
No respect to individuals with great potential.
Extremely long hours or work.
Poor salary compared to the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the best talent has already left. Please retain the the talent. There is a lot of nepotism in the teams. There are some excellent resources that have not been recognized as they deserve.

Moderate, not so exciting

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong client relationship makes job stable, long term. Processes green card.

ConsNot so attractive salary package. High medical copay, only 10 days vacation per year. Managers are unhappy when employees want to use vacation time. Appraisal system totally subjective depends solely on the discretion of the manager

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit pay structure. Also revisit the appraisal structure - involve HR persons to conduct appraisals, not PMs.

Better than many Indian IT firms

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions

ProsDecent salary compared to other companies in the same category. Open communication with supervisors

ConsNo transparency in appraisals and promotions. No career path guidance. Compensation still below standard for the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent in the performance reviews and promotions process. Treat employees as assets and not just as resources to get mileage out of. Managers should have a vision for each associate and should also act as a mentor.

Good for the short term, not the long term

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions

ProsFinancial stability - hard work is not rewarded but mediocrity is ignored. Good work-life balance.

ConsPromotions are often delayed, and there is much ambiguity and very little structure when it comes to moving up the ladder. There is no process for career growth leading to lack motivation across the organization. If you want to be comfortable, stay here. If you want to grow, stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more structure to career development

Cognizant- a great business process outsourcing company struggling to expand service offerings.

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions

Pros-- Cognizant offers a strong work/life balance for US based resources.
-- Cognidant offers the opportunity to work on very large/complex projects for some of the top US companies.

ConsLimited career opportunities for US based resources outside of business process outsourcing management. Cognizant has recently started a management consulting career track, but they haven't quite worked the bugs out of the system. Examples would be 3 month delays in promotions, and annual salary increases, and limited job opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCognizant needs to clearly define a management consulting career path if they want to retain experienced management consultants including a well presented service offering to the clients and a competitive career path for employees not focused soley on business process outsourcing.

Emphasis on outsourcing only

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cognizant Technology Solutions

ProsIt is a wonderful place to work if you are from India. Great opportunities for those on an L1 visa. Low pay and bad living conditions seem to be the norm, but the Indian workers do not seem to mind that. I was shocked at the living conditions of my coworkers.

ConsHigh emphasis is placed on supporting the Indian workforce. Employees from the States have higher expectations of how they should be treated. As a result, American workers are not a good fit for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think there is advice I could give on this point. It is difficult to fight established policy. Management wants to edge out more demanding American workers so that they can rely on workers that work for much less, but are also less invested in the customer. It seems to be an increasing trend in consulting these days.

Inflexible offshore teams, zero talent retention, and corporate policies/applications that hinder rather than help

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions

ProsIt's easy to shine and be a standout employee given the quality of your peers (Although what that says about the overall quality of CTS employees is not flattering). However, the ability to shine doesn't matter, since promotions are not based on performance, but rather are apples to oranges tiering among 70K+ employees.

ConsLimited career options. Pigeon-holed into accounts/technologies. Corporate support is the ABSOLUTE worst in the industry (HR, Finance, etc.). Lots of work with offshore (translation: hand-holding and all-night calls) and general incompetence/inability to be flexible to meet client expectations. CTS sells itself to clients as a company that has transparent teams, but clients only stay happy due to on-site manager's ability to buffer stakeholders from the true day-to-day chaos that defines Cognizant.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage bench consultants/managers to run corporate ERP projects (Finance, HR, etc.). Clean house in Teaneck and re-evaluate current systems. Promote based on ability, intelligence, drive and client satisfaction. Do NOT promote based on tiering. Pay US-based employees what they're worth, and prevent brain-drain from dissatisfied employees jumping ship for other consulting organizations.

Low salary & no work-life balance

Senior Architect (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cognizant Technology Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSponsorship of Green Cards, opportunity to grow

ConsCompensation, work-life balance, unpaid overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review time-off policy. 2 weeks per year is too low. Especially when employees are expected to put in regular unpaid overtime that is often billed to the customer

Worked for Cognizant Technology Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cognizant Technology Solutions reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cognizant Technology Solutions CEO Frank D'Souza. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Cognizant Technology Solutions employees.