www.cognos.com

Cognos Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.6

Cognos Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer IBM Corporation Samuel J. Palmisano
Samuel J. Palmisano

Best people, best job

I worked at Cognos

Pros

talented and smart colleagues, great product

Cons

sold business to IBM ,..

Great environment when it was Cognos, an Ottawa based company

Former Employee - Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Cognos

Pros

It was a positive environment/culture. Very smart people with great ideas that were heard. People were committed to provide tools for sales & services to make and keep the customer happy. The training and services team always helped each other- sharing knowledge, best practices, tips & tricks at any hour of the day. Ron Zambonini was the most passionate and engaging CEO.

Cons

A bubble burst when Ron stepped down as CEO in '04.
    I think the prod dev had a big miss with the web dev of analysis studio, very weak against PowerPlay.
    Was a boys club and not everyone was allowed in.

They hired or promoted many people to managers, who didn't have mgmt experience, the right skill set, or the right fit to our culture, which led to people moving to other dept. or leaving the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cognos

Pros

Training available to advance knowledge and career. Flexible hours and schedule. Lots of good people work there. Friendly Hr Group.

Cons

Distant management. Constant re-orgs. Stress. Lack of communications between different groups. Some mangers setup kingdoms. Some line managers are out of their league.

More communications between groups.

Cognos: A "star perfomer" culture where you can be highly rewarded, but watch your back.

Former Employee - Director Level Sales Position
    Former Employee - Director Level Sales Position

I worked at Cognos

Pros

The pay scale was excellent, meaning the base compensation and bonus opportunity was at the high end for my seniority level and job grade. There was a high level of professional independence and people were treated like adults in terms of their schedule and time management. This means that senior level sales and services managers were allowed to make their own schedules and decide how much time to spend on the road with clients or in the office. Cognos is flexible about spending time in one's home office, versus the company office (obviously, you are expected to be available and responsive via phone and email). Results are all that matter. Cognos is also very good about making goals clear and reporting results rapidly. Performance bonuses for sales and services managers with revenue quotas are based on monthly data and are paid monthly. Reports that allow one to accurately track one's own performance and measure it against others are made available. Monthly financial review meetings are held to review departmental performance against goals. The quality of the information about financial results is very good.

Cons

While everything in my "best reasons" answer is true, there is a downside to the short term-focused, pure numbers culture. People know that they are only as good as their last quarter's numbers. Everyone is out for themselves including the senior managers. It's a bit like major league baseball, without the teamwork. If your numbers are not going to help your manager "win", if you are the weakest link, you are not going to last long. Cognos, in my experience, does not foster mentoring relationships or loyalty between managers and their team. The culture encourages employees to avoid blame by blaming issues on someone else.

Take the longer view and emphasize long term client relationships and client success in the goals and compensation plans, in addition to short term revenue. Take a more positive and team-oriented attitude toward issue resolution. Give managers incentives to help everyone on the team be successful, rather than simply incentives to eliminate people who are perceived as underperforming as quickly as possible.

Neutral

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cognos

Pros

I like BI, and have fun at what I do. I have worked for lots of other companies in the past including Oracle, SAP , Peoplesoft., and Business Objects.

Cons

It is disorganized, and stuff is duplicated. I am not going to bash the company or say it is great, it is just ok and what you make out of it. Some people are happy and others are miserbable i would say that i am in the middle of that.

Not crazy about them. They sold the company to IBM. I dont know why they had to sell the company, I think that we will eventually get lost in the shuffle or mired under the unbrella like lotus notes.

Great place to work

Former Employee - IT Trainer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Trainer in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Cognos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company genuinely cares for it's employees and provides an exciting place to work and develop your skills. The product sets are great and are rated in the magic quadrants of all the analysts reports.

Cons

Now part of IBM so that makes it part of a very large company that is fairly inflexible and not as nice place to work.

Great employer!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Cognos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- excellent colleagues, world class products which are market leading in many areas. Great development opportunities if you are up for it and interesting clients and projects.

Cons

- long working hours as one would expect. Great reliance on on-the-job training without any real room or opportunity to attend courses since expected to invoice. As working with any software vendor, focus on just one toolset but this is not significant to just Cognos

Welcoming

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cognos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Temwork, Salary, flexible, frindly, possitive

Cons

Stressful at times, Lateshifts, 24x7, weekends, Some stat holiday work

Allow support staff with more job shadowing experience in other departmets

A place to contribute to new technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cognos

Pros

Great place to contirbute ides and push concepts through to prototype. Good mobility options within the organization that include out of country postings.

Cons

Top-heavy, inward facing management. Spurts of brilliance followed by imaginable incompetence should be cause for concern to anyone looking to work there or... acquire them.

Remember that meetings in board rooms don't reflect the reality of the market place. Often, your customers (even the unhappy ones) are a good source of inspiration.

Can be good career if you live in Ottawa

I have been working at Cognos

Pros

Bright employees who try to do the right thing for the customer
    Financially a strong company
    Work / life balance is good

Cons

Difficulty cracking the code on the new BI technology reality (open source solutions, etc.)
    IBM can make Cognos even more bureaucratic

Don't discount field realities, Ottawa does not have the sum of all knowledge