Cohn & Wolfe Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Donna Imperato

Pros
  • Friendly people and interesting clients (in 3 reviews)

• Promotion is centered around independent success, occasional summer Fridays, work environment feels small and not lost in the corporate jungle (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work-life balance, sorority-like cliques, long hours, pay is not the best (in 5 reviews)

• Vindictive supervisors, no work life balance, low pay, miscommunication, high turnover rate of staff at every level (in 3 reviews)

1. Talented Group of People who are Fun to Work With

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cohn & Wolfe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

C&W has some of the most creative minds in the industry, and I'm constantly inspired by the energy and talent of those I'm surrounded by. Additionally, the environment is not political which means we can focus on doing work that's rewarding, rather than draining energy navigating egos (as I've seen elsewhere).

Cons

Compensation is on par with industry standards, but not above.

Advice to Management

Continue offering employees opportunities for growth and benefits that match the work put in!

Reputable agency, but no focus on growing their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Big brands, established company, decent work/life balance.

Cons

No HR in the SF office. There was no system in place for growing and training employees. No professional development sessions, and not much opportunity for growth. The pay is not competitive and neither were the benefits.

Advice to Management

Hire an HR person in the SF office and invest actual time and energy into developing your employees.

3. Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cohn & Wolfe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice colleagues; Summer Friday's (but you can't actually HAVE them!)

Cons

Vindictive supervisors, no work life balance, low pay, miscommunication, high turnover rate of staff at every level.

Advice to Management

Things may have shifted, but when I was at Cohn & Wolfe in SF the hours were nuts and all our supervisors seemed to have very little connection to staff. Management was removed from daily life, leading to unreasonable expectations of our team. They also held onto one particular manager to made life hell for many of us (lots of crying in the bathroom). I lasted just under a year before I gave my notice.

5. Great team of coworkers and comfortable work environment.

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cohn & Wolfe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotion is centered around independent success, occasional summer Fridays, work environment feels small and not lost in the corporate jungle.

Cons

Positions can be stagnant and getting promoted has more to do with budget than work ability.

Advice to Management

There are many ways to increase efficiency and create new processes that would streamline the office structure but management seems slow to address these opportunities, if at all.

6. Great people, good culture

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cohn & Wolfe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, good leadership. Satisfying work/life balance and job flexibility.

Cons

Can be fun or frustrating depending on which clients you get. Unless you have a strong hand in new business, there is little choice which clients you are assigned to. Typical of many agencies.

7. Public Relations firm with great staff, poor work-life balance

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cohn & Wolfe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and fun environment

Cons

Low salaries, poor work life balance

Great location, awesome office, not the best atmosphere.

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent benefits, beautiful office. The building has lofted ceilings and views of the bay bridge. Near public transportation and restaurants.

Cons

The HR department has favorites and only helps those people. Others are treated very poorly. Management lies to staff about layoffs.

Advice to Management

Give some credit to the employees who work there. No one believes those emails about employees who mysteriously disappear seeking other career options.

Creative, Collaborative, Respectful, Employees Empowered and Supported

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've worked at/with many big firms, like Fleishman-Hillard and Burson Marsteller, where employees are worked to the bone, turnover is high, morale is low, there's a lack of respect and little support, training is non-existent, and there is little to no positive reinforcement for a job well done. C&W is completely the opposite. In the SF office specifically, we're like one big family. People show respect for one another, chip in to help out where they can and genuinely like working together. Respect for others, Quality Work, Personal Accountability and Work Life Balance are core values that define the culture. Developing Creative Campaigns and programs is a top priority that results in happy clients and employees truly enjoying the work we do everyday. And I love the fact that C&W is a forward thinking company; being one of the first to develop world class offerings and expertise in such areas as Digital Media and Sustainability. There is also a ton of cross-office and cross-practice collaboration and ideation that brings together the best thinking for current clients and helps us shine in new business presentations. And on the training and professional advisor front, employees have been thrilled with the ongoing webcasts, on-site trainings and support we receive from our Professional Advisors to help us advance our careers, learn new skills, and become the best we can be. Over the last six years, I've met great people across the network that truly are some of the best, brightest and most creative in the industry. I'm proud to say I work here and expect to be here for years to come.

Cons

The biggest con at this time is more about the economy than C&W. The reality is that our clients are unsure of their own job security, and have had budget and staff cuts, so they are working twice as hard themselves. In addition, expectations are high and results need to directly demonstrate how PR has helped drive sales. As a result, we and our clients are having to work longer hours and are under extreme scrutiny and pressures from senior management. In 2009, Marketing also faces several key challenges that we as integrated marketing strategists are helping our clients address on how to: â?¢ Speed time-to-market for new campaigns to gain a competitive edge â?¢ Target new global markets while protecting brand messaging consistency â?¢ Increase sales leads and conversion rates while reducing overall marketing spend â?¢ Build customer communities to enhance market insight and customer loyalty â?¢ Boost sales force and channel productivity while lowering training and roll-out costs In addition, our clients are desperately trying to navigate the rapidly changing digital media landscape to move from one-way marketing channels to authentic, two-way conversations in order to achieve business results and competitive advantage. So we spend significant effort to stay on top of it all and to update/train employees ongoing. It's a very busy time and I think most of us are uncertain as to when the economy will make a real rebound. That said, I'm hopeful that we try our best to continue to be a supportive and collaborative team--both at the agency and with our clients--so we can all get through this together.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the ball. Continue to be watching both the day-to-day as much as the "what's next" for our clients, our industry and our craft. And don't forget, we all win or lose together so please continue to push for cross-office teaming.

RSS Feed </> Embed