CohnReznick

CohnReznick Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

CohnReznick CO CEO'S Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino

Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino

Pros:
  • "Just a notch below the Big Four with relatively good work-life balance (compared to the Big Four)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "After busy season, work/life balance is great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Busy season, but not a huge factor since it's over the winter (for the most part)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Reznick is trying very hard to diversify from it's niche roots which focused exclusively on low income housing tax, audit, and consulting work"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great learning opportunity

Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat co-workers, abundant vacation time to offset seasonal work schedule, fair compensation and commitment to improving work / life balance whenever possible. Good position for coming out of school however my experiences were mostly contingent upon who I worked with.

ConsLong hours during busy season and focus on few core industries. Career opportunities and advancement become more competitive after a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on appropriate compensation for quality work and maintaining the office culture.

Decent employer but poor experience and internal culture

Intern (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Pros-Low Pressure
    -Decent pay
    -Good HR team

Cons-Lack of motivators for good work (Motivation is largely salary only)
    -Disconnected superiors
    -Lack of support

It could have been my experience with the particular group I was in, but I was not inspired

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a little more on your internal culture and make people more excited to be involved at work. People are your greatest asset.

Good place to start your career

Audit Associate (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsGreat people, lax atmosphere, upper management is very involved, you get to see a project from beginning to end, concerned with your well being, want to help better you as a person and employee

ConsIt's accounting/audit let's be real there's nothing too exciting about this job, except for the people you work with and for. The people are what keeps me here. I'd say a little less than half the time I enjoy working on the specific project I'm on.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think upper management is doing the best they can to make accounting exciting by bringing personality. The people here are very outgoing and try to make you feel important to the project. At the end of the day you like accounting or you don't. The people keep you here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Audit Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people with a focus on Real Estate. Great opportunity to advance.

ConsReal Estate focus. Need to diversify industry focus

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify

Unprofessional and toxic work environment - Doesn't appreciate employees.

Skokie, IL

ProsPublic accounting experience
    20 days of PTO, but frowned upon when you use them.

ConsOffice politics, gossip and drama, Co-workers stalk your time, Terrible clients, Under staffed,
    Low income housing real estate experience only leverages you for real estate opportunities.
    Management talks bad about staff behind there back.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour strongest assets are your employees. Treat them well and they will give back more. Management should not be trash talking employees behind there back rather than dealing with issues in a professional manner.

Senior Manager

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsGood experience, good pay, good work/life balance

ConsNo room for growth, a lot of company politics

Not a bad place outside of the Big Four.

Bethesda, MD

Pros- Just a notch below the Big Four with relatively good work-life balance (compared to the Big Four).
    - Collegiate atmosphere; partners have open door policy.
    - 20 days PTO to start.

Cons- Before the merger and when it was called Reznick, the client base was mostly real estate partnerships. The work became tedious and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to build a more diverse client base.

Good public experience in a high demand industry

Audit Manager (Former Employee)
    Roseland, NJ

ProsGood pay, flexible hours, great people to work with, well known and more prestigious.
    As with every public accounting firm, the fight is always the long hours vs the good pay. However, here, at least you're not working until 12am like as in the big four. And honestly you're learning and doing the same thing, just on smaller companies.

ConsBusy season, long hours, limited culture

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping good employees instead of trying to attract new ones

Decent introduction to a CPA Firm

Baltimore, MD

ProsPut the interns right to work with meaningful tasks; Compensation is slightly less than the Big 4 but on par; Full week of training in the beginning. Once in a while management would throw us a happy hour or provide us lunch even during heart of busy season to "refresh" us.

ConsEven during my limited time, I can see there is too much focus on billable hours. Employees dedicating numerous hours that went unbilled. Not a very good feedback system for interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little less focus on billable hours and more time on viewing your employees as assets.

Be prepared to get chewed up and spat out!

Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsDue to various mergers and acquisitions, in addition to organic growth into new markets, CohnReznick is experiencing an incredible period of expansion. If you are hard-working and ambitious, and make solid connections with the right people, you will find lots of opportunity here.

Although bonuses can leave a bit to be desired, annual pay raises are usually generous.

During busy season, the firm provides dinner four nights a week as well as breakfast and lunch on Saturdays. Management does a good job of making sure the food is not the same night after night and that there is a good variety of items to choose from. Vegetarians, vegans, and those with food allergies will have their preferences looked after.

ConsCheck your ideas about work/life balance at the door. They will not apply here.

Partners and managers have a fixation on billable time that is almost pathological, and this concern seems to trump all others. They set very ambitious billable hour goals for their seniors and staff to meet, but then pressure them to eat time (and shift time between clients) so that their engagements don't go over budget. During my last busy season at Reznick, I received the following emails from four different people on the very same day. To paraphrase:

-- Partner A: You were one hour short of your billable hour requirement last month. Why aren't you billing enough time?
    -- Manager B: "Why are you billing so much time to my clients? You're making me look bad!" (exact quote)
    -- Partner C: Why didn't you finalize your time sheet yesterday? Our firm policy yadda yadda yadda...
    -- Senior Manager D: (addressed to the whole department) We're requiring everyone to work this Saturday and Sunday and bill a minimum of 20 hours over the weekend.

In short, you are forced to play this game of "bill as much time as you can, but don't bill too much to anyone." It's a game that very few seem to master. In addition, almost all non-billable time (other than PTO and CPE) is highly scrutinized and frowned upon.

The overall message that all of this sends seniors and staff is that they are viewed as little more than cogs in a machine to help generate revenue for the partners of the firm. This message is reinforced at almost every turn.

Morale is incredibly low and turnover seems very high, even compared with other CPA firms.

During recruitment, management likes to loosely throw around the buzz phrase "we work hard, but we play hard." Really, that just means that they work hard. Any perk they consider "play" is largely forced and done at a minimum of expense, and it shows.

Manager busy season bonuses are paid in November of the same year, but senior busy season bonuses are delayed until the subsequent busy season (i.e., your bonus for busy season 2012 won't be paid until March 2013). A clever retention tool, but it has the downside of further demoralizing the group of staff on whom the work demands are often the greatest.

Office politics is rampant and flagrant. I witnessed serveral instances of managers throwing administrative and professional staff under the bus in order to save face. It's also painful to watch managers regularly schmooze the partners (listening intently to their long stories, forcing a laugh at their jokes whether or not they're funny, etc.) in a shameless effort to advance their careers and make partner themselves.

A rude and insulting client will have free reign to treat associates however he/she chooses, especially if their engagements are relatively easy and the client has a history of paying their fees in a timely manner.

Overall, firm management has little idea how to properly motivate their staff (and relies mostly on negative feedback and fear), nor do they seem to care. Also, it is clear that management prioritizes billings and firm revenue over all else, including the health and well-being of their staff. This firm's reputation in the Atlanta market for being a sweatshop is richly deserved.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know change is tough, but try to free yourself of the limiting mindset that productivity can only be measured in terms of billable hours and time budgets. There is more to it than what you can quantify. Quality of client service is also important. Other firms are making great strides here -- research what is working for them and don't be afraid to try something new.

Taking your team out to lunch at El Azteca in mid-April, and spending $6 a head, is not a proper way to "say thank you for all of your hard work this busy season." My manager did this after my first busy season and it was, quite frankly, insulting.

I realize that there are tax and cash flow incentives to delaying bonus payments until March 15 of the following year, but consider how this is received by your senior associates. And having one partner tell us each year that "this is a shame and I will push for this to change next year," only for change to never come, is further insult to injury.

Worked for CohnReznick? Contribute to the Community!

CohnReznick Videos

CohnReznick – Why Work for Us?

CohnReznick is ranked among the top 20 accounting firms in the United States, providing accounting, tax and business advisory services to clients nationwide. Well-known for our depth of knowledge in the affordable… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CohnReznick reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CohnReznick CEO Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino. All 91 reviews posted anonymously by CohnReznick employees.