CohnReznick

CohnReznick Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

CohnReznick CO CEO'S Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino

Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino

Pros:
  • "Just a notch below the Big Four with relatively good work-life balance (compared to the Big Four)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "After busy season, work/life balance is great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Busy season, but not a huge factor since it's over the winter (for the most part)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Reznick is trying very hard to diversify from it's niche roots which focused exclusively on low income housing tax, audit, and consulting work"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work!

ProsHours aren't as long as other public accounting firms.

ConsNot as many Fortune 100 firms to audit

Senior Associate - CohnReznick

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat company that will keep growing.

Conswork/life balance and compensation is merely adequate.

Great if you're interested in affordable housing.

ProsSalary is good, work is simple during tax season, nice office, great exposure to low-income housing and tax credit industries, decent all-around exposure to all parts of the audit process.

ConsManagement is very inclusive (staff-level associates are involved in no meetings ever, are not involved in planning at all, etc.). Promotions definitely don't always come as deserved. Not much of a "we're all in this together" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue lower-levels of the audit team more, and they will be more likely to succeed and stick around within the company!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tax Accountant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training is very good at associate level.

ConsThe feedback about your performance is at the last minute. There is no strategy to help employee improvement and even not a plan/approach to do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet your strategies to better your employees either by interacting them or by getting and giving the feedback at the right time for mutual benefit of employer and employee.

Challenging but the pay was pretty good

Audit Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsPay was commensurate with the work performed.
    Office attempted to arrange for various socials to promote togetherness
    Partners took time to meet with employees to help them with the career paths

ConsHigh volume clientele with little time to complete them
    Time budgets do not reflect the time necessary to perform the tasks

Leaves something to be desired

Audit Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Farmington, CT

ProsThe best part about working at CohnReznick is being able to have a large national firm's name on my resume. I also like a number of the managers and the partners. They are generally approachable and willing to answer questions without making it seem as if it is a grand imposition.

The time off policy is also very generous. Staff receive 20 PTO days per year; seniors receive 25.

Parking is paid for by the firm. Even when the offices move to Hartford, employees will park in the garage at no expense of their own.

Flexible work schedule; even during busy season (depending on what jobs you are on)

ConsWorking in the Farmington office has been quite the experience. The first thing I noticed (and was taken aback by) is the lack of professionalism. The amount of F-bombs that get dropped make me feel like I am in some sort of war zone. I assume that part of the reason such behavior is accepted is due to HR not being on-site; I have heard that things will be much different when the Farmington and Glastonbury offices merge in November 2014. The staff are young and very cliquey and there is a real high school feel to the office. The boys' club is also alive and very well here.

In terms of client work, be prepared to get inundated with affordable housing audits. Considering that this firm is considerated a large national firm, the lack of SEC clients leaves something to be desired. Many staff and seniors (and even some managers) do not get exposure to technical accounting issues. Instead, you will spend a good amount of your time cleaning up client records and preparing financial statements (hello glorified bookkeepers).

Lastly, the benefits are expensive and the coverage is poor. The tuition reimbursement policy is a joke. The way the policy is written, the firm will basically only pay for a Masters in Taxation. The kicker? You have to already be a CPA in order to qualify.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture needs a complete overhaul. You should consider some initiatives to entice employees to want to stay with the firm. As public accounting goes, the busy season hours are not terrible - which is an advantage you have over other firms. Leverage that. Offer better performance based pay and perks to your seniors; it may work to your advantage since you seem to have a hard time keeping them.

CohnReznick is a good balance of personal relationships, top clients and strong accounting expertise to learn from.

Associate (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsMany different experiences in a short amount of time. Access to partners.
    Good co-workers who become friends - how could they not when you work so many hours during busy season? Good PTO and hours outside of busy season. Cares about community service. Offers growth opportunities based more on merit than time in the job.

ConsToo many hours required during busy season. Too many staff have too little productive work outside of busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the merger too many processes have gotten bureaucratic. Communicate more in person and less via email.

Good place to start

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Roseland, NJ

ProsNice marketing team, strong processes and procedures, good benefits, most partners are very approachable.

ConsHard to grow, rarely promote within for other departments, promotions for accounting staff can be selective, salary not competitive for long-term employees, low morale with younger staff, high turnover due to lack of promotions/long hours for accounting staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more internal promotions for other departments, work on changing morale and culture, offer bonuses or other incentives.

Used to be a nice place to work

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Tysons Corner, VA

ProsThe PTO and Flexiblity the company gives to its people are great when work/life balance is taken into consideration

ConsFrom the practice management standpoint no much integrity as far as pay, raises etc. Management has an Elitist vibe/attitude

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrative staff is not THE HELP. Learn to treat everyone with the same level of respect no matter the position they hold.

I did not like it. Upper management did not care about what I wanted.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were no pros to working here.

ConsNo one listens to what you would like in your career.

Worked for CohnReznick? Contribute to the Community!

CohnReznick Videos

CohnReznick – Why Work for Us?

CohnReznick is ranked among the top 20 accounting firms in the United States, providing accounting, tax and business advisory services to clients nationwide. Well-known for our depth of knowledge in the affordable… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CohnReznick reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CohnReznick CEO Kenneth Baggett & Thomas Marino. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by CohnReznick employees.