Coinmach

2.3

Robert M. Doyle

Good Company - plenty of room to grow

I have been working at Coinmach full-time

Pros

Hours, People, Compensation package very lucrative

Cons

Major merger has things a bit bogged down. Too many chiefs at the moment. Slow to start making commissions but the base salary is excellent until you start earning your commissions. If you enjoy selling commercial laundry or think you do this is the place.

Was Once Great, Terrible Now

I worked at Coinmach full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, awesome coworkers, initial training is top notch, instant benefits and vacations, Coinmach side of things great, two years working for company with no complaints whatsoever. Straight 40 hours, salaried drivers, everything paid for. Company vehicle, and many managers great, the ones who weren't were at least friendly.

Cons

Since merging with several other companies things took a down turn. First was the merger with Air Serv which resulted in a bunch of people asking such stupid questions as why it takes longer to collect a laundry location over an air machine location (I've had 54 machine locations in laundry, most at any one air location was 4). Then we merged with Mac Grey. After a transfer I ended up being a Coinmach employee working for a Mac Grey branch. Coinmach at one time gave a crap about the quality of their work, but these Mac Grey people didn't. Poor documentation, worse dedication to their customers. Multiple times managers would make promises to meet with customers directly and then would cancel and not inform the customer resulting in us entry level guys getting yelled at. Not to mention that because the two companies were in the same industry but did things differently resulted in a ton of problems adapting. There was also this certain level of performance Mac Grey demanded that wasn't accounting for this difference in policy which was never amended properly. For example, yes it is possible to open a bunch of laundry machines all using the same key but at times I had over 20 keys on me because Coinmach locations would use that many. Just the whole entire operation was screwy. I did my best, I worked my fingers to the bone, day and night, rain or sun, sometimes many unpaid hours of overtime that I would be further punished for if my manager ever found out I worked them, but none of it matter. In the end I was fired.

Please for the love of all that is Holy start listening to your employees when they tell you you're over working them and rather than blaming them for that listen to WHY! I told my manager SEVERAL times that Coinmach machines take longer, and that the Mac Grey machines at times were so beaten up and rusty I had to open them with tools just to get the money out! I shouldn't have to break out the pliers every location I go to just to open coinboxes!

Solid business model and infrastructure - Not necessarily employee friendly

I worked at Coinmach

Pros

Stable. Reliable vendor partners. Employees with a lot of experience.

Cons

Salaries are below market. Large seperation in pay/treatment between local teams and senior management

Dig into what is actually going on in each of the regions. Listen to the input of employees other than the local management.

Service tech

I worked at Coinmach

Pros

Paid time off, nice and helpful co workers hands on training not much else too say offered benefits not the best but better then nothing

Cons

Empty promises benefits could be that's all gonna say Not sure what else too say I mean I've worked at better and I've worked at worse places

Stick with what was said in interview

Stay Away

Current Employee - Service Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at Coinmach full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Monday-Friday have a life, can make plans, stable job. Some Saturday work but run easiest cases if you know the area.

Cons

Pay, talked to a guy who's been employed 25+ years and only is making $17.25 and hour. Work alone in very bad areas, no help or back up in those places.

Instead of y'all buying companies and increasing the workload on your workers, you should increase our pay and give nice Christmas bonuses as well!

Stable company.

I have been working at Coinmach

Pros

Stable. Financially sound. Strong executive management.

Cons

Not customer friendly. No upside potential

Stuck In A Rut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Route Collector in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Route Collector in Dallas, TX

I worked at Coinmach full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle take home and gas card

Cons

no pay raise in over 3 years or cost of living raise overloading with big routes more than what you are capable of completing

no raises here unless you are corporate

Current Employee - Collector and Jack of All Trades
    Current Employee - Collector and Jack of All Trades

I have been working at Coinmach full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

their truck, their gas, good health ins... vacation/sick days/personal days. $25.00 walmart card for safe driving every qtr

Cons

do get paid untill 30 minutes you leave home, mandatory lunch break, dont get paid last 30 minutes of day. their truck but they look at it as yoou are driving to work in your own car. even though you drive 1500 miles in a week. you eat in your truck ( if you want to) and just sit there for 30 minutes when you could be on the road. NO raises---was here for 10 years and only have a 60 cent raise!!!!!People at the top get hundreds of thousands plus bonuses that

Take care of your hourly employees. they are struggling while you get millons. no body can live on $23,000/year

Large, disorganized company with no sense of action or urgency

I worked at Coinmach full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coinmach rarely fires employees, which is both good and bad. On the one hand, you know you have job security; on the other, it increases the number of ineffective people in the organization, which can create headaches for employees who truly want to be effective.

Coinmach also offers great benefits in terms of life and health insurance, along with a great 401K contributions.

Cons

I worked in the New York/New Jersey branch, so I can only speak for this office. The company is incredibly disorganized with poor management and leadership.

1. When employees quit or are moved around in restructuring (which does happen frequently), remaining employees are expected to absorb extra roles. At one point, I was juggling four different roles! Several of my key contacts in different departments were also juggling multiple roles, and everyone was so overwhelmed that responsibilities and tasks kept slipping through the cracks. We were always reacting to crises and could never act proactively.

2. Nothing ever got done. Literally. We would go into meetings with our supervisors and say "These are our goals, this is how we get there, and these are the resources we need and this is how it makes sense in our department budget." We'd get lots of sures and yeses, but then the funds or resources would never materialize. It once took us four weeks and six different approvals to onboard a new, badly needed employee. Not one, not two, but four Coinmach employees told me that the only way to survive here is to "not care if anything gets done." Ouch!

3. No way to finance purchases. There is no company credit card and everyone is expected to expense anything under $100, which seems like not a big deal until you learn that it takes weeks to get expenses reimbursed and they mail you checks over $100. Also,everyone from marketing to sales to operations to HR is expected to expense ALL needs, including office supplies. Ouch!

However, I have heard other branches of Coinmach are much more professional and organized, and I certainly hope that's true!

Disorganized Company with horrible communication and pay rates.

I have been working at Coinmach full-time

Pros

Weekends off is about all I can come up with. There's only one thing that I learned, to not care anymore as working hard gets you nothing. And there is one very good reason I stay, but can't disclose that of course :) But, as for the company, no respect, they have lost it all, and it seems by most all employees and customers.

Cons

Horrible Management, constantly hear from our customers of repeated unreturned phone calls, emails etc. Everyone does multiple jobs outside of their own. Employee burn out and very low pay when factoring in how much insurance takes out as well. No raises or very little laughable ones that are more a slap in the face. No incentive to go "above and beyond" because it will only cause you health problems in the long run. Management lies about pay raises or promotions, get it in WRITING with an effective date! Or don't except the lie. Security Department is a joke, things that should be done aren't, and things that are irrelevant are put under a microscope. Certain higher ups in the Security Department are borderline paranoid schizophrenic it seems.

You get what you pay for. And some of the ideas that are dreamed up have no real world advantages.