Cold Stone Creamery

Updated November 18, 2014
3.3

Cold Stone Creamery President Dan Beem
Dan Beem

Pros
  • Free Ice cream, discounts in cake & friendly coworkers, good for a first time job (in 127 reviews)

• You get free ice cream when you work and half-off ice cream when you're not working (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Now people can enjoy the great ice cream that the franchise has to offer (in 40 reviews)

• Because you are a tipped employee, your employer does not have to pay you minimum wage (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun til it's not

Former Employee - Staff in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Staff in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, you get free ice cream and it's rare to be bored working there.

Cons

Management plays favorites and doesn't take the time to make sure you're trained properly and will still somehow expect you to know everything.

Take more time to care about making sure your employees know how to concoct all of the dishes that the customers might order and take the time to answer questions during lulls in the store so the employees aren't overwhelmed when the place gets crowded.

Shift Leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in New York, NY

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

Low pay, rude customeers, disorganized management

Extremely easy work, not so rewarding.

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a really easy job. I have heard wonderful things about certain stores and owners. Easy to learn combinations and tips and tricks along the way.

Cons

I can only speak for my store. At my former store, the owner was incredibly cheap. She only replaced things that were broken if it's absolutely necessary. There is little to no appreciation from upper management no matter how well you do. Raises are awful. They'll expect more of you than what's in your job description and will avoid promoting you unless necessary.

If you do not care about your store or employees, find someone who does and do your employees a favor.

Good job, but terrible management

Former Employee - Crew Member in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Cranston, RI

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great customers, great cowokers, fun job, good starter job for high schoolers

Cons

I personally had terrible management at my store. No free ice cream like others say, gave me only about 5-8 hours a week, cared more about money than the customers and the employees. Never directly got the tips, so I have no idea if i even got what I worked for. My manager also threw dishes at me at one instance, and another he caused an anxiety attack and then laughed at me. I would still be working here if I had different management.

Look at who you're actually hiring to run your stores and franchises and make sure they're treating their employees and customers with respect. I used to work with two other employees who actually had to serve customers while they were crying because our manager screamed at them.

Great First Job

Former Employee - Crew Member in Valrico, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Valrico, FL

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cold Stone Creamery has a fun environment. Singing for tips and interacting with customers always make for a great day. This job is what you make it so be friendly with customers, have fun with the songs, and be happy!

Cons

Because you are a tipped employee, your employer does not have to pay you minimum wage. I will be honest by saying that your tips will not always be great. I opened a lot, therefore I ended up making below minimum wage almost all of the time and was never reimbursed for that. If you work nights (especially weekend nights) then you have the potential to make a decent paycheck.

I suggest corporate sets a starting wage all owners have to abide by. There should be a starting wage for crew member and a starting wage for crew leader. I ended up leaving the company after being offered a promotion to crew leader. My boss offered to pay me a lousy $0.10 more an hour. I put in my two week notice then and there.

Great first job

Current Employee - Team Member in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very fun and learn about yourself

Cons

A lot of work when closing

Fun, enjoyable, and a good first job

Former Employee - Hostess/Lead in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess/Lead in Upland, CA

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Don't work Thanksgiving and Christmas. Positive environment and good people.

Cons

No health benefits, there are some guests that are demanding, overall good first job for teens.

Very friendly and very nice. Don't change anything.

Great!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Cold Stone Creamery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very fun atmosphere and great opportunity for any resume.

Cons

No benefits. Lots of young kids with bad work ethic.

A Fun Job...depending on franchise owner

I have been working at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

First owner at franchise was great: employee and family discount, free ice cream at every shift, positive leadership and understanding of outside demands (family, school, sports, etc.). Usually decent tips and most customers are nice and easy to deal with. Good job if you get the right owner.

Cons

New franchise owner expects too much of young crew members and is unreasonable and demanding. Majority of crew has quit or plans to. Sad to see a great place to work go so bad so quickly

Corporate management needs to sell these franchises to people who have a clue about managing people and running the business. Owners supposedly go to training before taking a store -- definitely need to do a better job making sure they know what theyre doing before you give them.

A great learning experience!

Current Employee - Part-Time
    Current Employee - Part-Time

I have been working at Cold Stone Creamery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is lots of training, they never throw you out to the wolves. At the store I work at there is a unique blend of personalities high school, college, adult. I have met a lot of good people. A fast paced work experience that will keep you on your toes. I am blessed with a very caring,and hands on owner.

Cons

Singing I am awful and it can be embarrassing, but I understand its purpose. A small staff which means shifting hours and times. Work can be very stressful, there are few sub positions at the actual stores so employees have to be very well rounded.

Wish there was a larger staff.

Cold Stone Creamery Photos