Coldwater Creek

Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean

Jill Dean

Pros
  • The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with(in 19 reviews)

• Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of consistency in direction from upper management(in 28 reviews)

• There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do(in 6 reviews)

At the mercy of incompetent store management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay for non-exempt employees. Excellent treatment for medical crises. Most employees very pleasant.

ConsPromote incompetent store management with no skillset. Honest communication is lip-service. Candid conversation is punished by a reduction in hours. Feedback and best-practices are non-existent except in a very passive-aggressive way. Management is immature and childish. Very few able managers or DMs. Corporate people are snobbish and treat staff like dirt under their feet. Need a return policy that prevents spoiled customers from returning old, used merchandise. Too many ever-changing discounts and coupons. Lower the price and increase the quality of the merchandise.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour reactionary and inefficent decision-making forces store staff to focus on tasking rather than customer service and selling. Inconsistencies with all your policies makes customers and employees alike take advantage of the system. Stop hiring store managers with no skillset to run a store.

Great Place to Work!!!

ProsGreat work environment. Love the open door plicy with my District Manager. Excellent discount. Great co-workers.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Could be better - morale is declining at an extremely rapid rate

Prosentrepreneurial, decisive, new CEO is fantastic and has a great disposition and treats everyone with respect and is open to doing what is right for the business, there are so many talented executives that have been with the company that have great business sense and sense of doing the right thing for employees as well. Recently hired senior managers do not subscribe to this philosophy and need to be brought into the fold.

Consnew Sr Mgmt member is destroying the morale in almost every department in the company.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to what is going on around you at corporate headquarters

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

love my peers and perks- management, not so much

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Coeur d'Alene, ID

Prosthe benefits rock-generous paid time off, reasonable cost insurance, 401k, gym, cafeteria, well maintained building, nice discount

Consmarketing-the entire department needs an overhaul in their view of the customers, the representives and how they communicate with and treat the other teams within the company. despite repeated and ongoing complaints from the customers and representites, this dept. has continued to attend solely to their own misguided agenda, losing customers daily. returns policy...desparately needs to be modernized. if these 2 things are addressed, the company could save millions and avoid further employee layoffs

Advice to Senior Managementplease follow thru and act on the feedback we are providing instead of giving us empty lip service and 'we'll look into it". the commitee meetings that petered out with no results, the micromanagement, the extreme requirements for productivity-these things foster low morale and a lack of enthusiasim for our jobs.

Fun place to work

Esthetician (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt was a happy place to work in a sense that you receive a lot of encouragement and appreciation for your work. Also great for those that are just out of beauty school as they provide a nice fundamental training. A wonderful working environment. Flexible schedule.

ConsLow commission, no benefits for part-timers, no real growth potential.

Not a good company to work for.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOkay pay, nice customers, nice discount.

ConsWhen your hired your told you work 2 closing shifts a week, you work 4. You work 9 days straight til your next day off. Mirco managed.

STORE MANAGER

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat teammates, good employee discount

ConsStore manager, store manager, store manager

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current store manager is a new promotion. Since she has been at the store, employee morale is subpar. Team members are treated in an unprofessional, disrespectful and demeaning manner - even in front of customers. She does not like to train and when she does - she speaks rapidly and does not appreciate someone taking notes. When questions are asked - she is impatient and abrupt. New hires do not like asking her questions. She does not take responsiblity for her actions or words. Rarely will she say "hello" to team members or "Thank You" for a job well done. When she works an early shift (7am) you can bet she will be in a bad mood and will not speak. When she is angry with you she will not speak to you at all, even on the sales floor. When team members cannot work when she calls them in - she will take it out on them by decreasing their hours. She is not open to dicuss new ideas - it's only her way. She has spoken disrespectfully about team members, giving them cruel nicknames, in front of other team members. She is not a good communicator and does not share information. She does not "creek in" employees on a daily basis. Information is shared more readily through team members than through her. She has absolutely NO people skills to be in a management position. When team members do a good job - she hardly gives any credit; however, she is always announcing what she has done. She stays within a short distance to the register to ring up sales, then goes back to her office, stays there until it get's busy - then returns to the register. She does very little stocking. She will start a project - then leave it for days or until she tasks someone else to finish her job. Her management style is one of intimidation and manipulation. For the Holidays, team members asked if there was to be something for store employees, her response was "you-can-do-something-yourself". Just about every team member has had unpleasant dealings with her and have paid the price for it. When she is not in the store - it's pleasant, team members work together, and it's less stressful. Staff is just happier. Attitudes are this: punch in- do what you are tasked to do - punch out. Management should do a better job of promoting personnel. At least make sure the Store Manager has excellent people skills (not just customer skills) to be qualified to BE a store manager.

Coldwater Creek allowed me to grow within my career and add to my overall skillset.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsEmpowerment to take care of customers

ConsOverload of work and too promotion driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic expectations for leadership

They expect too much of their employees/managers.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPay is good. My coworkers are nice. They finally took away double discounts.

ConsWe are expected to do too much work. We are rated on customer surveys, rewards cards, personal shopper appointments, emails and credit cards, among other things. The merchandise has gotten too expensive, even with our 40% discount. We don't get raises. Performance reviews don't really matter (just going through the motions).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have a return policy. You would make more money by not letting people return old, worn clothes without any receipt. You need to be more in touch with what is going on in the stores. You spend too much labor on the visual aspects of the store. Yes, the stores look amazing, but people want better prices/quality on the clothing.

Great co-workers

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsThe co-workers are great to work with. It is a very relaxed and friendly place to work. The manager is great and really friendly.

ConsThere aren't many downsides. I think it would depend on what specific branch you work at, and who the manager is, but this is a great part-time and/or seasonal opportunity.

Worked for Coldwater Creek? Contribute to the Community!