Coldwater Creek

Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean

Jill Dean

Pros:
  • "The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management really needs to walk a day in our shoes"
    in 23 reviews
  • "no raises, DM's/ RM's and above do not understand the store level work environment"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Misguided leadership sending this company downhill FAST

Former Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCWC provides some of the best customer service, hands down. I worked with an amazing group that was flexible, hard working, and did everything smiles on their faces.

ConsThere is nothing consistent in this company except that you can expect a storewide promo or deep discount every weekend. Although my team knew that "customer first" were our words to live by, I feel we were often set up to fail from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine your target customer and stick with it. The models in our in-store marketing often looked far younger than the demographic you defined! Give your manager pathways to promote, and don't leave key positions (DM's) open for months on end. A store can't perform at an optimal level when they have no guidance. You're losing your customers, and quickly. And your top talent is following suit.

Going down

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe staff, everyone feels like a family.

ConsDealing with a home office and field staff who are out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in the stores so you will understand what is truly going on. Nor raise in 3 years.

Lost identity

Second Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey offer good health care coverage, I have great co-workers, we enjoy a generous employee discount, finally have decent store leadership.

ConsDisconnect between upper management and reality of actual environment at store level. Cookie-cutter approach to all phases of business even though stores in rural areas have a vastly different customer base from stores in urban areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be something you are not. This company started as a life-style business and somewhere along the line they decided to be a fashion leader, competing with well-established companies in that field. Stop placing the burden of driving business on the shoulders of the field employees, the majority of whom are part-time and over the age of 50.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going downhill

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people at the store level. Fun place if you have a good manager and a great team

ConsPoor quality of product and prices are too high. Too many confusing promos and it seems the company is grasping at straws trying to stay afloat. Way too much turnover at the DM level says that we aren't hiring the right people. We need motivators that inspire their teams instead of DM's that are deflating and try to Lord over those who are working very hard to keep this company going.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the great people you currently have. Stop trying to get more for less because all you will get is much less. Listen to your customer and stop re-inventing the wheel. Respect and motivation goes a long way. Stop with the fear factor already.

CWC has the best customers!

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsThe customers are the best! Just like family. I loved helping the customer put together outfits also enjoyed helping husband or boyfriends shop for special occasions.
The associates are mature ladies and hard workers, they are also like family. Most of the ones in our store have been there since the store opened 5 yrs ago.
Good employee discount 40% off sometimes 50% off.

ConsCompany took away "star cards" for us to reward the associates for their hard work, for getting rewards cards, credit cards and reaching their goal for the day.
No advancement within the company. Hired outside company for a store manager when the asst manager was very very qualified and had been with that store for 5 1/2 yrs. Instead hired a very young girl for store manager...who sits in the office. Even didn't know a floor set was due took off and let the asst manager handle it.
Health insurance doubled, cut one second asst manager to part time. (And she didn't know it until she called HR about her PTO days...store manager didn't the maturity to tell her)
I was very glad when they revised the return policy, but wished the quality of the clothes were like in the beginning of CWC.
I would have stayed with the company but didn't appreciate be used durning the holiday season with no store manager and not allowed to hire seasonal help. I had another job offer and am taking it for fear CWC will not be around much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet quality back. Take care of your employees...appreciate them! Floor sets to often.
Don't hire young under qualified store managers.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros40 hour work week, benefits, paid vacation, paid holiday.

Consnone at this time...been with the company for a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer some online only product back into the stores.

Very little support

I have been working at Coldwater Creek

ProsGreat discount. I was able to grow career.

ConsNot enough hours to get done what was expected. Was hard to keep part - time associates when hours were not regular. Corp. was not upfront and honest with major decisions. Every week corp asked for feedback but then was edited to what they wanted to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the time to train new staff members.

Very disappointed

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time

ProsColdwater Creek associates are the best of the best in the field of customer service. I have made life-long friends here and have sharpened my sales and customer service skills.

ConsEvery week a new sale or promotion is thrown at us. Our employee incentives have been removed but we're still expected to provide the same amount of work. It's very difficult to keep the morale among us at a high rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure who is running the show here but whoever is at the helm is apparently under the influence of a mind altering substance. I have NEVER seen a more dysfunctional group of managers in my entire working career.

When You Grind Your Staff...

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat clothes. Their product will be missed and their absence from the market will leave a void.

ConsUpper Management grinds the staff, paid sweat shop wages. The company refused to listen to the customer, instead opting to try to dictate style and trends. They treated their associates on the floor with disdain, sending memo's that indicated they considered them brainless. The company turned a deaf ear to store managers who know and understand the market. Employees hired to sell clothes were forced to push credit. A company will not survive when deaf to the needs of the consumer and the staff. Failure was inevitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou forgot who drives the enterprise. The customer, the associates. It is of little surprise that this company will soon be out of business.

Corporate Management needs to get a clue!

Part Time Sales Associatea (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Staff! everyone gets along and tries to help each other

ConsMANAGEMENT- What are you people in Sandy Point doing?! Floor sets every other week that go on for days; I have heard reports that there have been a ton of accidents from falling off ladders while hanging banners and moving fixtures. You have no business expecting a bunch of middle-aged women to be climbing around on 12 foot ladders all the time! Promotions change every week and they are confusing as hell!! We spend half our time changing the signage. If customer service has suffered, it is because we spend all of our time changing signs and moving fixtures - and by the way, moving the merchandise around every week makes it impossible for any of us to know where anything is, and that makes us look like idiots when customers ask for a specific item and we cannot find it because it has been moved 6 times!! You have 3-4 different promotions going on at the same time every week, yet nothing is programmed into the register - we have to remember everything and it makes it very difficult to ring people up. I cannot tell you how many times a day customers come in with receipts where merchandise was rung up incorrectly because of all the confusing promotions. And the returns are off the chain - people complain constantly because of quality and fit. We are not given enough of some products either. Anyone remember the red and cream scarf that was in every single print add at Christmas? They sent us three of them! we should have had 3 cases of them at least!! This place is a sinking ship!!

Advice to Senior Managementto corporate in Sandy Point - GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BUTTS AND GET A CLUE!! We can all see the mistakes being made, and you make them over and over again. If the lowly sales associates and store managers can see it - WHY CAN'T YOU!!!! You do not deseve the great people you have working for you in your stores - you are losing your company and you have no one to blame but yourselves!!!

Worked for Coldwater Creek? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coldwater Creek reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Coldwater Creek CEO Jill Dean. All 217 reviews posted anonymously by Coldwater Creek employees.