Coldwater Creek

Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean

Jill Dean

Pros:
  • "The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of consistency in direction from upper management"
    in 26 reviews
  • "There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not managed well for several years.

I have been working at Coldwater Creek

ProsGood people, enjoyed to type of work, Set schedule, reasonable pay and benefits. Cross training opportunities. I can't think of anymore pros.

ConsRaise freeze for the last 6-7 years. Minimal opportunities to advance. Bad management in many areas and poor executive strategies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it is to late now, you should have taken the advice of many of your hourly employees in regards to product quality, long term goals, etc. Sad that 6,000+ people will now be out of a job. Mostly because of bad executive decisions.

You have to dance with the one who brought you to the party!

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe women I work with are high class. We work as a team with no back biting. Friendship and hard work that I will miss terribly.

ConsManagement had no idea how to run a clothing company. None. The owner apparently thought he knew what women wanted. He did not. I do not know if the wrong people were hired or if their hands were tied, but there seemed to be no connection between those running the show and the associates and customers. Clothing quality was horrid in the last few years. I saw identical copies of some of our products at Old Navy and Cracker Barrel. The company thought they could buy cheap goods and maintain the high prices and stay afloat. Customers are not stupid. Too many deals with the banks...people got tired of having credit cards crammed down their throat every time they came in. Every. Time. And who was the core customer? Old lady shirts and leggings?? Really?? AND...the Fedex bill must have been the final straw for the company. Free shipping all the time. Boxes coming in with one tshirt in them. In the end...just a poorly run company. What a shame. Locations are lovely. Customers and coworkers are great. We needed a company the fell between the froo froo frills of Chicos and the business climate of Talbots. We almost had it. So Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess there is nothing to say now. I love the women I work with and I will miss this job terribly. Every time I opened a box of clothing to prepare for the floor...I hoped it would be the stuff we needed to steer the ship in the right direction. Sad days.

A great place to work, focus on customer service and sales building

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's not a big box store, very customer-oriented. Good product

ConsReduced staffing makes maintaining service challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the front line; provide them what they need: stock, staffing levels

At one time it was a great company to work for and the mdse was unique.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany really cares for customer and the customer service is #1.

ConsCulture has changed tremendously with changes in leadership at home office. Reacting to changes in a difficult retail environment is necessary but the message is sometimes inconsistent.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to comments from the field regarding product.

Sinking ship

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company provides a great balance between work and family needs. It is a friendly environment with great people, great leadership. The atmosphere is light and the associates are willing to help!

ConsPoor communication from corporate to field reps regarding business decisions.

Awesome

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

Prosi love the fun atmosphere and love working with clothing and the customer base is amazing aswell The managment is flexable wth almost everything and the employee discount is good

ConsSome of the challenges of working here are when floorset is due you have to work till like 3 am and the job is very demanding

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise

Nice work environment

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfriendly atmosphere, loyal customers, visually appealing store.

ConsPay is not high enough

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees more.

Educational, fast paced and fun.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, ME

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployees were a fun group, high paying, lots of training

ConsHigh expectations in little time

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication !

Great Team Envirionment

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Team Environment, Great Pay, Good Benefits, Maximum Merchandising Flexibility, Real Customer Service Environment, Employee Empowerment

ConsLots of Red Tape, Company In Transition Period, Little Training

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my management team.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPTO is pooled together, with sick time, personal days and vacation as paid time off about 152 hours for the first year.
friendly co- workers.

ConsColdwater Creek is a dying retail brand. It is always trying to figure out who, its customer is. For a company in the business for 25 years you think that is should of figured it out by now!! The company has increased its employee benefits and froze employee raises and discontinued 401k match. The company has a sale or promotion in store everyday to try in bring in traffic. The product isn't what is used to be in quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementColdwater Creek was once a positive work place. CWC should not of grown so fast, now they are closing stores left and right. Coldwater Creek has lost its way, and it's customers realize that it is not the same experience they had once had before in store or through its catalog. The leadership needs to be elevated, and the company needs to restructure, if it wants to survive.

Worked for Coldwater Creek? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coldwater Creek reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Coldwater Creek CEO Jill Dean. All 221 reviews posted anonymously by Coldwater Creek employees.