Coldwater Creek

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean
Jill Dean

Pros
  • The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with (in 16 reviews)

• Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Stay away from any Upper Management affiliated with Coldwater Creek (in 30 reviews)

• There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Never hire Upper Management from this company.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Sandpoint, ID
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Sandpoint, ID

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO. Benefits until 2014. Some of the lower managers were great! Bu they soon left.

Cons

Upper Management ruined Sandpoint, Idaho. Stay away from any Upper Management affiliated with Coldwater Creek. Liars and thieves. Never listened to employees. But maybe that is what makes Upper Management.

Listen. Do what you say. Do some forward thinking. Obviously you closed the doors for a reason and the minions are still feeling this pain! Very COLDwater!

What a shame

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mansfield, MA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

was a good company with good product

Cons

company went bankrupt and liquidated

Coldwater Creek brought great customer service into the retail arena

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you were looking for a part-time, fun place to work and loved fashion, this was a good store to work in. Unfortunately, it is now closed.

Cons

Layers and layers of management. Coldwater Creek attracted professional sales people and other professionals to come and work at their store. It was disappointing that the management at corporate level did not match the professionalism and talent of their store associates.

You should have rewarded all the people on the bottom when the store closed as opposed to giving severance to the those responsible for its downfall.

thought I was working for honest company

I have been working at Coldwater Creek

Pros

none - company closing, bankrupt

Cons

dishonest - lead to believe was a debt free company

Upper Management Ran Business into the ground

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The store level employees are helpful, courteous, efficient, and consistently pleasant. Generally willing to do whatever is necessary to make the shopping experience pleasant for the customer.

Cons

Company was last profitable in 2007, and is now in liquidation. There were a thousand and one bad business decisions made by upper management that foreshadowed the company's demise. Now that the store is in liquidation mode ... the air conditioner has died. This is JULY ... in ARIZONA ... where the temperature is typically over 100 degrees. The AC was installed by CWC and it IS their responsibility to maintain it. How this will play out between CWC and the liquidation company and the bankruptcy court is anyone's guess. Employees hear the situation is being "looked into" .... but it's not getting any cooler.

FIX THE AIR CONDITIONING!

Coldwater Creek closing due to bankrupcy

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been a manager with Coldwater Creek for 9 years. Through good and bad, ups and downs now thru bankrupcy. The work culture was great. Customer service was easy because we had a loyal customer base and we could do anything to delight the customer.

Cons

The company filed for bankrupcy in April is is closing down everything.

I wish they would have listened to the field.

Worst professional decision ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was ok, about average. Great outdoors and town to live in though.

Cons

This company has been doomed to fail for quite some time. Upper management has no clue. Most VPs and Directors aren't running their teams right. No real collaboration. No trust of lower level employees. Way too reactive on promotions. Poor planning.

Pay your debts. Trust your employees. Let people go home at decent hours. Listen to your customers.

"They" should have seen this coming...

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not to many and it's irrelevant at this point.

Cons

The customer didn't leave the company, the company left the customer. Instead of staying true to what it was, it wanted to look like everyone else and failed, all while promoting those that shouldn't have been and giving raises and bonuses to those that were corrupting it. Now we watch 9000+ people lose there job because of mis-management at the top.

I hope future companies actually read past just the resumes of some of these executives before they hire them because to sink a company this size after 30 years... get real.

a tragicomedy in real life.

Current Employee - Does IT Matter? in Sandpoint, ID
    Current Employee - Does IT Matter? in Sandpoint, ID

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the culture was great. PTO was fantastic. At times the other benefits were spectacular.

But when someone was promoted to management they seemed to have been brainwashed or lobotomized.

Cons

Managed by a bunch of self serving and greedy egotists.

very lopsided pay-scale (two people in the same job and same length of tenure could have one making twice as much as the other.)

The outcome was inevitable. Just no one would listen.

You are either incompetent or totally corrupt. Some are both. I saw the handwriting on the wall in 2009 when the Egotist in Chief fired the man who was turning the company around. The Founder/Chairman decided that the time was right in the business cycle to come back in and look like the hero, unfortunately your poor business decisions and need to be surrounded by unethical yes-men (I know of one who should be investigated by the SEC).

When you decided to turn away from direct and go to box stores, the handwriting was on the wall. The stores cannibalized the direct customers, then, when you overpopulated the better markets, cannibalized each other. the Spas at Coldwater Creek, like your jewelry line, and about 8 other concepts that were tried while I was an employee were failures from the get go.

Finally, when your desire to become international with offices in NYC, KH, and India succeeded in turning a distinct Southwest inspired clothing line into a Kohl's at four times the price. So, let's review...
    Overhead cost soared with retail stores that added no new sales... Check.
    Turned your distinctive and popular but expensive products into cheaply made knock offs of Walmart and Kohl's -- without reducing the prices... Check.
    Used promotions to the point that you could not sell anything unless it was 70% off... Check.
    surrounded yourself with yes men of dubious moral and ethical character while eliminating anyone who challenged your genius... check.
    increased your overhead drastically without increasing sales... Check.
    Never had a successful business concept (face it, Coldwater as a women's clothing operation was NOT your idea)... Check.

I could go on, but my pent up frustration is spent. I'm just sorry that Coldwater Creek was a retelling of "the Emperor's New Clothes" in a modern setting. Unfortunately, like the traditional version, those who pointed out the problems were the first ones beaten to death.

Failing due to poor decision making from top down

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers and coworkers were the BEST

Cons

Company never made the tough choices

Too late to help now