Coldwater Creek

Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean

Jill Dean

Pros
  • The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with(in 19 reviews)

• Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of consistency in direction from upper management(in 28 reviews)

• There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do(in 6 reviews)

thought I was working for honest company

Prosnone - company closing, bankrupt

Consdishonest - lead to believe was a debt free company

Upper Management Ran Business into the ground

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe store level employees are helpful, courteous, efficient, and consistently pleasant. Generally willing to do whatever is necessary to make the shopping experience pleasant for the customer.

ConsCompany was last profitable in 2007, and is now in liquidation. There were a thousand and one bad business decisions made by upper management that foreshadowed the company's demise. Now that the store is in liquidation mode ... the air conditioner has died. This is JULY ... in ARIZONA ... where the temperature is typically over 100 degrees. The AC was installed by CWC and it IS their responsibility to maintain it. How this will play out between CWC and the liquidation company and the bankruptcy court is anyone's guess. Employees hear the situation is being "looked into" .... but it's not getting any cooler.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIX THE AIR CONDITIONING!

Coldwater Creek closing due to bankrupcy

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have been a manager with Coldwater Creek for 9 years. Through good and bad, ups and downs now thru bankrupcy. The work culture was great. Customer service was easy because we had a loyal customer base and we could do anything to delight the customer.

ConsThe company filed for bankrupcy in April is is closing down everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they would have listened to the field.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst professional decision ever

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sandpoint, ID

ProsCompensation was ok, about average. Great outdoors and town to live in though.

ConsThis company has been doomed to fail for quite some time. Upper management has no clue. Most VPs and Directors aren't running their teams right. No real collaboration. No trust of lower level employees. Way too reactive on promotions. Poor planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your debts. Trust your employees. Let people go home at decent hours. Listen to your customers.

"They" should have seen this coming...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot to many and it's irrelevant at this point.

ConsThe customer didn't leave the company, the company left the customer. Instead of staying true to what it was, it wanted to look like everyone else and failed, all while promoting those that shouldn't have been and giving raises and bonuses to those that were corrupting it. Now we watch 9000+ people lose there job because of mis-management at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope future companies actually read past just the resumes of some of these executives before they hire them because to sink a company this size after 30 years... get real.

a tragicomedy in real life.

Does IT Matter? (Current Employee) Sandpoint, ID

Prosthe culture was great. PTO was fantastic. At times the other benefits were spectacular.

But when someone was promoted to management they seemed to have been brainwashed or lobotomized.

ConsManaged by a bunch of self serving and greedy egotists.

very lopsided pay-scale (two people in the same job and same length of tenure could have one making twice as much as the other.)

The outcome was inevitable. Just no one would listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are either incompetent or totally corrupt. Some are both. I saw the handwriting on the wall in 2009 when the Egotist in Chief fired the man who was turning the company around. The Founder/Chairman decided that the time was right in the business cycle to come back in and look like the hero, unfortunately your poor business decisions and need to be surrounded by unethical yes-men (I know of one who should be investigated by the SEC).

When you decided to turn away from direct and go to box stores, the handwriting was on the wall. The stores cannibalized the direct customers, then, when you overpopulated the better markets, cannibalized each other. the Spas at Coldwater Creek, like your jewelry line, and about 8 other concepts that were tried while I was an employee were failures from the get go.

Finally, when your desire to become international with offices in NYC, KH, and India succeeded in turning a distinct Southwest inspired clothing line into a Kohl's at four times the price. So, let's review...
    Overhead cost soared with retail stores that added no new sales... Check.
    Turned your distinctive and popular but expensive products into cheaply made knock offs of Walmart and Kohl's -- without reducing the prices... Check.
    Used promotions to the point that you could not sell anything unless it was 70% off... Check.
    surrounded yourself with yes men of dubious moral and ethical character while eliminating anyone who challenged your genius... check.
    increased your overhead drastically without increasing sales... Check.
    Never had a successful business concept (face it, Coldwater as a women's clothing operation was NOT your idea)... Check.

I could go on, but my pent up frustration is spent. I'm just sorry that Coldwater Creek was a retelling of "the Emperor's New Clothes" in a modern setting. Unfortunately, like the traditional version, those who pointed out the problems were the first ones beaten to death.

Failing due to poor decision making from top down

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCustomers and coworkers were the BEST

ConsCompany never made the tough choices

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late to help now

What a shame

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStore staff was top notch

ConsManagement is now reaping their own rewards -- years of ignoring the folks that made them click (customers and staff), as well as complete deterioration of quality in the product itself, has led to CWC's demise.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should all retire.

Sorry to see them leave....

ProsStore manager was awesome. Employee's truley loved helping customers. Product was great

ConsCorporate had no idea how much time they wasted with so much details they required of the store mgrs. Instead of focusing on selling clothes they made the focus on selling credit cards which offends our customers. To much back office requirements. Whoever was in charge of in- store sales had no idea of what they were doing. Too many sales, too many floor changes. No petites....the list goes on... I hope other companies will learn from their mistakes, since it's too late for CWC.

Colorado Review

Store Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe store team's are awesome

ConsThe lack of consistency in direction from upper management. They are too removed from the daily routine of a store.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to not at store management and sales associates, we have the information that would have helped make sound decisions

Worked for Coldwater Creek? Contribute to the Community!