Coldwater Creek

Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean
Jill Dean

Pros
  • The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with (in 19 reviews)

• Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of consistency in direction from upper management (in 28 reviews)

• There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Loss of brand identity over the past few years.

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company pays well, nice vacation package, decent benefits, some great people.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance. Company not in sync with each other, every manager believes in something different. Too many promos in attempt to drive traffic-of which don't work.

Streamline the brand overall-people, product, processes.

As far as retail goes, this is one pleasant place to be!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were all really nice to work with and everyone really seemed to be focused on a positive experience for the workers and the customers.

Cons

Because it was a popular place to work and I worked during the recession, the hours were limited and sometimes they were as low as 4 per week. Not for someone that needs really steady income.

Ok place to work

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

Great benefits package offered and pretty good pay.

Cons

Had some bad experiences with district manager, and other management within the company. Doesn't quite seem like the company has it together.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prepare to Truly have the tools to run your own business

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

encouraged life balance, through communication top /down, various tools to support and lead the business and team development

Cons

heavy work load and limited payroll.

stay the course

Nice for Awhile

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, great product, flexible hours

Cons

Too much sale merchandise, promotions change too fast, customers can be nasty

If you don't plan to work here long-term, it can be a good place to work part-time in a retail environment that offers some incentives for your work. But don't count on getting promoted up, because it won't happen. Just accept it for what it is, and you'll be fine. Use your job as a training experience to be able to move on to somewhere else.

ASM role

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-PTO!!! I have 6 weeks of paid vacation
    - Health insurance reasonably priced
    - Salary with overtime
    - Co workers are like family.
    - ASM does all the hiring- so I can pick and choose who will be on our team.
    - We have fun- it's generally a laid back atmosphere where we chat all day.
    -Some customers will let you outfit, and are willing to spend money!!

Cons

-Many customers are rude, complain about not having petites in store, or prices, or the fabric, or the embellishment, or the length- too short too wide,,, too this too that.... you name it I've heard it.
    - Customers come in not in the mind frame of looking for a deal- they are looking for wal mart prices at a specialty store.
    - There is abuse the return policy. Items can be worn and returned at anytime without a receipt.
    -Some customers do not treat us like they would want to be treated.
    - Job stability seems shaky. Stores will be closing this year and going forward in at a fast pace. We have controlled our labor and have been profitable- but, our lease is up next year and we are thinking that our store might close.
    - My SM has negativity impacted the work place. A boss who complains and never compliments is not a role model. We have dealt with her b/c there is no other choice. CWC has an open door policy- but no one trusts that what is said to the DM or above will be handled in a professional way.
    - We have not had a DM for more than a year- year and a half tops. Issues with micro managing and having to resend templates or asking questions multiple times to be answered.
    - Inventory allocation and planning is defiantly an area of opportunity. Our assortment has improved in the last year. Replenishment is needed in full priced selling styles- yet we receive sale items in the incoming boxes.
    - The back room is packed with clearance merch. We have begged to transfer out to the distribution center. Some styles on hand are 6 months old. Store ops has us organize it by size- not style. which makes it very messy, and hard to do second markdowns.
    -Tasking is impulsive. Store ops change sales and has many product promos that is confusing to associates and customers.
    -Associates are under employed. They want to work, but we don't have they payroll to give them more that 12-20 hours. (that's if we are making our trend/comp) Labor is cut often, which annoys associates.
    - We use a lot of our smaller sizes for visual displays. That makes having size runs on hand not possible. The pins used to fit the mannequins, makes the items not able to be sold in a premium location. We end up sending them to sale-able damages to be sold at an outlet store.
    - Executive visits are scheduled then often canceled.
    -Pay increases have been frozen for many, many years. One year (I can't remember how long ago-) Dennis our founder gave millions of his own money for EVERYONE TO GET A 3% raise! That was greatly appreciated, but still a drop in the bucket to the cost of living increase.
    - Associates are not paid according to how much they are worth. Seasoned associates we hired low, and are getting paid less than newly hired associates.
    -CWC has been trying for a long time to re brand itself- yet is viewed as grandma's store or my mom's store. They want to be a jean destination- but we don't have many sizes and styles on hand. (especially in petites)
    -CWC wants us to be fashion/fit experts where women go to be outfitted. The problem is most customers just want to look, and have us fetch their size.
    -Our in store music selection is very repetitive and is pretty awful.

-Adjust compensation levels of store employees start with associates- $10 an hour is fair for what we ask them to do.
    -We should get 50% off all year round. If you want us to represent the brand- enable us to by giving us a better discount.
    -Store managers should have to punch in/out like everyone else. There is no consequence for SMs bad behavior if she knows how to talk the talk.
    - Make a plan and stick to it.

Company doesn't appreciate your effort

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time for more than a year

Pros

You don't have to wear all of Coldwater Creek clothes. Great job if you only want to work about 10 hours a week if you aren't leadership

Cons

No incentives to keep doing a good job. Stores have to have a certain number of sales associates in each store so that keeps everyone's hours down to a small amount each week. You receive a good year end review with no raise. The clothes are too expensive so the discount you get doesn't help.

If associates are doing a good job, let them know somehow other that a review. There isn't anything you are doing for me so I will keep working hard for you!

Great people to work with but constantly changing

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

The people that work here are incredibly talented and warm. It has a very great family atmosphere.

Cons

The SOP is constantly changing and there is a large disconnect due to the locations of the offices.

Reality of retail on a daily basis

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

great group of women to work with at the store level

Cons

Company with serious growing pains.

Sr management needs to be in their stores more often.

Remember what made you a top retailer

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Salary
    - Benefits
    - Some co-workers
    - Discount

Cons

- No work life balance
    - Quality is going down when prices are going up
    - Not given enough time for tasks
    - Not enough payroll to accomplish all projects and scheduling your selling coverage
    - To many conference calls, spending too much time talking about what you need to do instead of actually doing it
    - DM's are not consistent through the company so if you switch DM's expectations are completely different Some you never see in stores at all and some are in your store every two weeks.
    - Home office partners do not understand what stores deal with on a daily basis.
    - Big expectation that associates need to be in current clothing, but then DM's or home office partners come in and they are not wearing anything from the company
    - Stores can only have a certain number of associates on staff (which is based on how much volume you do) so scheduling can be hard when associates have requests/vacation
    - Home office visits are scheduled and then don't happen at all with not even a phone call to say we are not coming
    - Return Policy is a joke because there is no return policy. Wear an item for 5 years and decide it's not what you wear anymore you can bring it back.
    - Store promos change almost daily, you are just has confused as your customers.
    - No wage increases in five years except for when former CEO gave 3% across the board but that was to appease upset associates.
    - Bonus structure for leadership is goaled so high you have such a small chance of actually attaining it
    - Sitting on tons of clearance merchandise in back room. Takes up to much space. In backroom must be arranged by size which makes markdowns hard because you have to hunt and peck
    - Coldwater Creek Chase Visa has become just as important as making your sales goal. You get tons of flack from DM's if you store in under performing, and if you store is doing well you still get in trouble if you are not leading the team
    - Rewards Program really has no good rewards. You get a new coupon book every two months or so but they are all odd coupons, you do not get money back to spend, you do not get free shipping etc
    - Associates are upset because sometimes the customers get better deals then the staff. We allow customers to double dip in discounts but we as associates are not given the same.
    - Customers come first for the company, any little customer complaint and we have to call and apologize even when we did exactly what the company wanted us to

- Reward your store teams with more then a thank you email.
    - A member of the home office store ops team must be out in a store every week to see what goes on in the stores. They need to be on the sales floor working with the customers to see what we go through and how their instructions are not the best way to do things
    - Change the return policy of the company. Even if you have a six month return policy at least it could stop some of the customers who take advantage
    - No more double dipping of offers for customers, make the registers not able to do it
    - Give teams enough time to complete tasks in stores.
    - Spot check that your DM's are actually in the stores they say they are in. Call the store and ask for them. Do not call their blackberry.
    - If the visual floor set is to be done on Thursday then give your teams till Thursday. Every floor set it seems that we are expected to get it done as fast as possible
    - Give stores an easier time of letting bad apples go, it seems like we have to go to the moon and back before we can get an under performing associate out.
    - Look at the product you are putting on your floors, are you doing trends for trends sake? Are you losing your quality? Are you trying to change your core customer?
    - Put petites back in your stores, put 3X's back in your stores. You will sell them, you have associates who would buy them and would wear them everyday. You are losing customers everyday of the week because they do not want to wait for items to come in
    - Why make your associates pay for shipping when they have to order a size that is no longer in the store, they are customers too and you are not giving us the same experience.
    - Remember what made you a great retailer to begin with. Great clothes with great quality. Something that customers could not find elsewhere. Your associates will do what you want them to do if you show them an ounce of the Respect you say they have. Actions speak louder then words. When you smile to their face and then pick them apart when they turn the other way you show the associates you have no respect for them and that they are replaceable. Well guess what Coldwater Creek is replaceable as well.

Coldwater Creek Photos

Coldwater Creek brook plaza
Beautiful store!
Opening Day

+ Add Photo

Worked for Coldwater Creek? Contribute to the Community!