Coldwater Creek Reviews

Updated April 11, 2015
330 reviews filtered by

1. You don't want a job here!

I have been working at Coldwater Creek (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount on their items . Some really nice people have worked for this company. I have learned alot about how not to run a company from these people.

Cons

Size is a hit or miss. This company talks out of both sides of it's mouth and doesn't listen to the people who work for them.

Advice to Management

You waited to long to do anything useful for this company! File chapter 11 and regroup! Upper Management should have their benfits taken from them.

They're going broke!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and hours at corporate

Cons

It seems everyone is a DVP, seriously I've never seen so many and I'm sure they're all paid very well..

Advice to Management

Want to save this company go back to your roots, reduce management not staff who actually do the work. Eliminate senior management bonuses, reduce your own salary and offer a product the customer actually will buy. Go back to quality products, not this crap made off shore. The outlook is not good for what was once a great company, you're loosing the customer base because you don't listen to what they say..

Brand chaos & creative confusion

Current Employee - Advertising Copywriter in Sandpoint, ID
    Current Employee - Advertising Copywriter in Sandpoint, ID

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coffee in the cafeteria, which they are unfortunately closing

Cons

Floundering in what they want to say, all copy second and third-guessed.

Advice to Management

Let your creative employees do what you hired them to do, rather than quashing their work. Creative work assignments are given, the work is submitted, then rehashed by marketing people who are technical in their approach and have no concept of the emotional/branding elements intrinsic to strong copy - copy that appeals to our demographic and motivates them to buy. "Brand" is reduced to incessant sales which cheapens the brand and bleaches it of all personality.

5. Friendly Place to Work

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Great employee discount.

Cons

Used employee discount too much.

Great employees - HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!

Former Employee - Buyer in Sandpoint, ID
    Former Employee - Buyer in Sandpoint, ID

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous facilities in a beautiful community. Wonderful, hard-working and dedicated employees.

Cons

Hostile Management, verbally abusive, completely out of touch with employees with families. Regularly worked weekends and evenings past midnight. Was told to bring sick baby to work and have him sleep under my desk. Same boss would leave by 7pm while the rest of us stayed. Poor wages.

Advice to Management

You are very fortunate to have employees who are dedicated and want to do a good job for you. You really don't deserve the loyalty with your complete disrespect.

7. Very Friendly

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Albertville, MN
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Albertville, MN

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coldwater Creek has a good clientele. The customers are rarely crabby or rude. The employees at Coldwater Creek are also very friendly and helpful.

Cons

It's retail, so the store must follow mall rules and therefore it is open on days like Christmas Eve making employees miss family functions for very few people. I was told by a co-worker that last year only two people stopped in and that was only because they saw our lights on.

This was once a great company to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

Great pay for Management! Ahead of other retailers with technology.

Cons

Terrible return policy took the company to penny stock! "Customers" return more than buy causing the company to loose profit. The "customers" are also trained to stack coupons.

The brand was once very special with good quality clothing, fine jewelry and hard goods displayed on heritage fixtures giving it a "boutique" feel. Now it looks like every other retailer with low quality apparel.

The changes in corporate caused a severe decline in focus and consistency with their vision.

Advice to Management

Attempting to be "fashion forward" by hiring RM's, DM's, Store Managers and Visual from very different company's did not work. They do not relate to the CWC customer.

Get a return policy that the customer is not making money off of in order to allow management to do their job and run a business instead of a clothing rental where you get your money back and then some!

Get rid of the corporate jet and penthouse in NY before you lay off employees.

9. Not bad but upper management has flaws

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Constant busy work

Cons

Little pay
    Cutting hours
    Quality of clothes on the decline

Advice to Management

When working on floorset, please proofread what you are sending to the stores before you actually send it. There were a lot of mistakes that could have been avoided if the time was taken to proofread. Also, again in regards to floorset please place clothes in a place where you would be able to reach. Realistically speaking, no one wants to have to get a shirt on an overcrowded table, underneath a shelf with a wardrober flush to the table. If your employees are having a hard enough time trying to reach that difficult stack, imagine what it would be like if you were a customer. It is not safe for our customers or your employees.

Hoping for improvement

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Coldwater Creek part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, caring coworkers,good product generally. The customers are very nice, overall, and it is a good feeling to help someone put together a great style combination, especially when they need it for an event (wedding, interview, etc.). Good management at store level but past that is questionable, especially lately. I was initially drawn to work at CWC for the clothes and customer service. Despite the cons listed, I do like my job and am truly hoping for improvement.

Cons

Too many sales/promos, feels like we are giving the clothes away. Floorsets too frequent now, including having employees hang monstrous banners in high windows, on a tall ladder which is on a platform, downright dangerous! Injuries have resulted. Too much pressure to get credit card application in an anti-credit card era. Employees have to do routine cleaning of bathrooms, windows, walls, floors. In the morning, this means that you have to clean then look fresh for store opening. In the evening, this means you have to vacuum entire store after perfectly folding everything, go home exhausted. Have only had one raise in whole tenure, that was an across the board raise after downsizing staff three or four years ago. Training and especially communication can be very spotty.

Advice to Management

Stick to the brand instead of trying to morph into what is already out there. The big four sales/yr. used to have customers lined up at the door, now they know they can get 40/50% off anytime. Instead of having such high price points, keep it reasonable for the average customer on an ongoing basis, then have a few great sales once in awhile. The jewelry needs a new design team and better manufacturer, quality has gone down but prices up. Most of all, reward and treat well your loyal employees: we should always get a better deal than the customer if you want us to be able to wear the product as free advertising. Happy employees make for better results. I liked the incentive program for jeans, but was turned off by the refusal to give a longtime great sales associate the free pair just because she happened to be on vacation while the new one month employee got a pair. And having a DM come in and demote a lead who stepped up when you needed her and did an awesome job, even helped cover sister stores when they lost a manager, demotivated many of us.

Store Manageer

I have been working at Coldwater Creek (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company cares for its customers

Cons

culture has changed tremdously- towards its employees. Recognition needs to be given when deserved.

Advice to Management

remember what made CWC coldwater creek

Coldwater Creek Photos