Coldwater Creek

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

Coldwater Creek President & CEO Jill Dean
Jill Dean

Pros
  • The customers are great to work with, love the people I work with (in 16 reviews)

• Employee Discount used to be a great benefit but now I can't find anything I want (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Stay away from any Upper Management affiliated with Coldwater Creek (in 30 reviews)

• There is no work life balance or appreciation for the hard work you do (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bankrupt

I have been working at Coldwater Creek

Pros

It was fun while it lasted.

Cons

The pay was incredibly low.

Too much favoritism and polics

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Though the company has closed, the best reason to work there is the discounts.

Cons

Dealing with back-stabbing co-worker and lax management..

Make sure to treat everyone fairly - stop playing favorites.

employee

Former Employee - Key Holder in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Cumming, GA

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Coldwater Creek,but left due to a knee replacement, I really liked my manager. The clothes line was good except a lot of the customers were looking for the regular line of clothing not the outlet line and were disappointed

Cons

the time management was terrible. There were way too many floor moves. The customers did not like the fact that every time they came in things had changed.there were to many part time employees for the store where I worked

Pleasant work atmosphere, coworkers and clients

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winchester, VA

I have been working at Coldwater Creek (more than a year)

Pros

Mature customers willing to pay without haggling, friendly and not demanding. Not on commission so none of the vicious competition.

Cons

Too many floor moves, more labor hours when store was closed than we spent with customers it seemed. My store was a lifestyle center with easy hours, even so the floor moves kept us there until midnight.

Year to year customers who needed more change than the same pieces indifferent colors. The product became too predictable.

Lots of ups and downs with the company going bankrupt.

Current Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

Wonderful learning experience with Store Managers and associates. Great benefits and a true team spirit because we all shared in the success.

Cons

Too much change of focus from home office reacting to the success of the business. Realized each district was their own entity.

No advise to share since the company declared bankruptcy and decided to liquidate. Everyone lost their jobs.

Respect was the culture of the company.

I worked at Coldwater Creek

Pros

We respected one another (at least in my location). When duties were delegated or received, they were asked to be done - not demanded. We spoke to each other like adults and the turn around rate was very low, because no one really wanted to leave.

Cons

I really thought associates were spoiled. I felt like I kept getting into trouble because associates' feelings seemed more valuable than management. There was also no room to grow. There was a raise freeze that lasted several years. I received 1raise in 5yrs.

Take the time to thank your management team individually. Let them know that their hard work has paid off more often.

Overall a pleasant atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly associates.
    Small store feel, even with bigger stores. Very intimate.
    Flexible scheduling for employees.
    The clothing is beautiful, even for a younger woman like myself. I would wear it for a professional scene.

Cons

The biggest con is that it went out of business. I think that Coldwater Creek customers felt a serious sense of loss. They loved that company.

If you bring the company back, maybe lose the credit card and focus more on maintaining quality styles of clothing.

Coldwater Creek great place to work!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As an Assistant Manager at Coldwater Creek, the initial training was very thorough. Having worked at 2 different locations, one in Northern CA and one in Southern CA, I can say company wide it was a good place to work. The sales and management teams have a good working relationship. Customers are treated fair and with respect. I'm sorry to see Coldwater Creek go out of business.

Cons

Biggest con is Coldwater Creek going out of business. Really the only drawback to working there is the same drawback of any retail career...the hours. Nights, weekends. But we all know that going into a retail position. I di enjoy the time I worked at Coldwater Creek.

Advice to upper management...what happened! I'm very sorry about the bankruptcy. Very sad to see it go.

2nd Assistant Sales Manager

Former Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Sales Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Coldwater Creek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The CWC shopper as well as most of the employees were mature educated women who are rather pleasant company.

Cons

There was a freeze on raises since I started working there in 2009. There weren't set policies or guidelines to follow when it came to returns or coupon usage and several other things. .

Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek

Pros

Enjoyed discounts for clothes 40% to 50% off regular and sale prices, friendly atmosphere, customer interaction, opportunity to learn, develop, gain expanded responsibility.

Cons

Hard work, long hours, never enough time complete tasks without working extra, mixed signals from corp about how the company was doing

Be consistant with communication