Coldwell Banker Reviews

315 reviews filtered by
3.7
Coldwell Banker President and Chief Executive Officer Budge Huskey
Budge Huskey

Pros
  • Name recognition, a good starting point (in 14 reviews)

• Has great name/brand recognition at all price points (low-, medium-, and high-priced housing) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The commission split is low compared to other brokerages (in 20 reviews)

• Unpaid, no benefits and you pay for your own advertising resources (in 10 reviews)

1. Graphic Designers Stay Away

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pro is the soda machine in the lobby.

Cons

The managemnt are horrible.

Fire yourself or quit.

Find another job

Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing is only having to work a half day before a major holiday.

Cons

Mgmt can't make a decision and stick with it. Whoever knows someone higher up or 'screams' the loudest wins. No consistency in processes.

Make a decision and stick with it. Reviews and raises are a joke, thanks for doing a fabulous job here's your $0.10/hr raise. Please provide some incentive besides the candy bowl and the occasional donuts.

Worst paying broker in town. License has been suspended several times by Real Estate Commission.

Former Contractor - Salesperson in Vicksburg, MS
    Former Contractor - Salesperson in Vicksburg, MS

I worked at Coldwell Banker as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have the highest market share for now. They were the only franchise in town for several years until ReMax and Keller Williams opened so now the market is balancing out.

Cons

Competing broker. Cut-throat environment, even for a real estate brokerage. Lots of smiling to your face and backstabbing. Broker plays favorites. Disorganized. Will do "whatever it takes" to get a deal closed. I only worked there for a few months but I have worked in Real Estate in a mid-size city before working here and I know better.

Go visit a well run brokerage for a few months and get a clue what professional looks like.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Realtor in Siesta Key, FL
    Former Employee - Realtor in Siesta Key, FL

I worked at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the nationally recognized name.

Cons

High desk fees, high yearly attorneys fees - both mandatory at CB, legitimate leads only go to the highest producers. The only face to face leads you receive are sitting floor time (means you sit at the front desk and answer phones and take messages for the rental department) and open houses. Terrible commission split for new agents. Training is old fashioned, they tell you to cold call FSBO's for clients. If you don't have 2 years of healthy savings and can afford to advertise $400-$500 per month, don't waste your time here. You will be told you need 6 months of savings, not true, 2 years minimum. This is big business and sales associates are a major source of income for CB. It is difficult competing with associates who have been in the business 20 years. Very few Real Estate Associates last a year, if you leave for a better commission split elsewhere be sure to do it by 30 JUN otherwise you will be charged another $450 in attorney's fees even though you will no longer be affiliated with the company.

We realize sales associates are large part of your income but you really need to start pro-rating your fees. Your new associate training is old fashioned and I was told I need 6 months of savings to live on when in reality I needed 2 years of savings. You have a revolving door of new agents this has to tell you something. Although with your fee schedule I don't think you care.

6. Realtor support

I have been working at Coldwell Banker

Pros

Excellent tech support lots of help

Cons

A lot to learn about marketing

Keep doing it

7. Run

I have been working at Coldwell Banker

Pros

I get a paycheck. That's it. I seriously cannot fathom any other positive.

Cons

Everything.
    Management.
    No transparency.
    Not enough money to deal with the BS.
    Office politics galore.
    No growth potential.
    Get treated like a second class citizen.

Actually do some work and talk to your staff. We work our tails off while you talk crap with each other and get paid to do nothing.

Excellent name recognition - with no follow through

Former Contractor - Broker in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Broker in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coldwell Banker as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Name recognition, a good starting point.

Cons

Where to start? DO NOT WORK HERE. They will charge you fees upfront to get you started under the guise of "training materials" and "technology fees" but will not help you actually practice anything relating to the reason you got your real estate license to begin with. I would rather have actual leads than an iPad. Their so-called training is basically just to be nice to people and listen well - i.e. basic human interaction pointers - and you have to complete ALL of it and pay ALL of your $200+ fees in order to just be able to answer a phone call coming into the office for phone duty. They have a speaker who comes in to give you guidance on believing in yourself while pushing a $700 class. When I politely told them I had chosen to go another direction and go with another firm, they badmouthed that firm and personally attacked the owner. Not exactly professional, but I guess business really is dirty.

They take in new agents who don't know any better, make them do the grunt work they don't feel like doing anymore (like open houses) and pretend like they like you when you come in to meet them but change temperature as soon as you sign the dotted line.

Do NOT let big name real estate firms take your money.

Give us leads instead of iPads.

Lots of Bait and Switch

I worked at Coldwell Banker full-time

Pros

People at the corporate office in Northbrook are nice, including the president.
    Easy to get in and out of there without overtime.

Cons

Everything else was horrible. HR was a joke. Lots of bait and switch. Expectations for a certain level of quality and production, but absolutely no resources ($) allocated to reach that potential.

Hire competent HR. Be truthful in job interviews.

Horrific Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are fair. The messages conveyed from corporate are generally positive. I think they are trying to create a good culture, but they just aren't seeing the failing of Northbook's management.

Cons

Management treats employees like crap. They have no interest in developing or even acknowleging your skills. Some of the managers are so unprofessional they show blatent favoritism between employees. Decisions are made about your role and/or future with the company without you even being invited to be part of the conversation. If you attempt to voice your concerns about any mistreatment, their no retailiation policy will be through out the window. You can be sure your boat will sink thereafter!
    There is no room for advancement and you are not recognized or rewarded for hard work.

The corporate office (NJ) should take a hard look at the reasons for such high turnover and then start turning over some of the poor management currently in place!

Out for there Own

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zero for me, I commuted hours to this office daily and had to deal with idots all day long.

Cons

Committed almost 4 years of service without any pay increase, senior management only care about themselves especially the Director of Finance and CFO -Both now work together with a different company. You will receive zero recognition for your hard work and long hours, the culture and values of this office are awful....and always low on staff - if like myself you will be taking on roles of different departments with zero overtime pay....good riddance.

Take notice of your staff, and reward them for hard work

Coldwell Banker Photos