Cole Haan

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jack Boys

Pros:
  • "Great product and a customer service philosophy where they really will do just about anything to make the customer happy"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good work environment, I have most of the tools to do my job effectively"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "See the note about the change in the upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "the upper management has no idea about running a district or a store"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Needs clear direction

I have been working at Cole Haan

ProsI liked the people I worked with

ConsNo company direction at all

Advice to Senior ManagementBe true to your brand.

Very demanding commission based job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Cole Haan full-time for more than a year

ProsMy coworkers were fantastic and very helpful to newbies.

ConsA few of the sales people would try to steal your clients if you were not paying close attention. Management always pressed you to increase your sales volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for new sales associates.

Work hard, earn more

I have been working at Cole Haan full-time for less than a year

ProsThe positives about working at Cole Haan are the other employees. Everyone gets along with each other which creates a great work environment. Depending on your retail experience, the pay can be good plus there is a good commission rate on top of that. If you work hard, your paycheck will show it.The discount is great and they give a free shoe out to their employees twice a year. They do daily contests where you could win a gift card or a free handbag. You get out of it what you put in.

ConsSince Nike does not own Cole Haan anymore, alot of changes are happening since a private company now owns Cole Haan. They did away with keyholder positions, changed certain policies that were great for the customer and for the employees who are getting commission taken from them. They are still in the process of doing more changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire more people to work when the hours are already short. Listen to the ideas that some of the employees have about the shoes.

Disorganized & Disheartening

Freelance Copywriter (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Cole Haan as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPrestigious and well-established brand, high quality products, decent benefits

ConsPoorly organized structure, unprofessional behavior commonplace, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. You do the founders a disservice by failing to support their legacy of quality craftsmanship with the same high level of care for your own staff.

Awesome company slowly going downhill

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cole Haan part-time for more than a year

ProsI loved the initiatives that Cole Haan provided for all the sales associates, the bonuses you can get if you make your sales or sell the most of one item etc. I also liked the old District Manager because when he did stop by he cared what the sales associates thought about the store.

ConsI completely dislike what happened after Nike sold Cole Haan. I don't know if it is the management at my current store or if it is APAX but my store just hired another assistant manager leaving all of the sales associated with less then 10 hours (5 of us have 8 hours next week). The sales associates are the only ones that make commission (granted because we are basically living off of minimum wage), but still the management CONSTANTLY sells. Whats the point of having us scheduled then?

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the company doesn't want to pay for the commission that the sales associates make then stop hiring more. Also, if management would be more open to their "team" and let them know the changes of the company, so we can decide if we want to stay or not instead of getting squeezed out.

Generally good until the Apax purchase of Cole Haan

Level Coordinator (Former Employee)
Greenland, NH

I worked at Cole Haan full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits and vacation time. Was a good place to work before the sale of company to Apax.

ConsNew management has created a "fear mentality" among workers with many layoffs. No raises at distribution center since takeover. I keep in touch with several current employees, many are looking for other employment. So many people have been let go or quit, that important roles are being covered by new, temporary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a plan of how to get jobs accomplished after people are let go. Get i touch with reality.

Unprofessional, unorganized.

I have been working at Cole Haan part-time for more than a year

ProsLoved the compensation aside from the low hours offered. Great employee discount and awesome co workers

ConsStore manger senior managers dm have no idea what they are doing. All based on favoritism, advancement is based on favoritism not skill. Hours are cut on people they don't like no matter how well they do, managers dress inappropriately. They don't focus on the client more on what one person is doing. Managers talk down to any associate they don't like using vulgar language, they don't know the product or how to speak to the customer, they drive business away. Terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry putting professionals in upper management, not teenagers. It's business not high school especially in the flagship store and Columbus.

Decent Retail Company Being Destroyed by the Lack of Long Term Planning by a Private Equity Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Cole Haan as a contractor for more than a year

ProsOver the course of the year and a half that I was at Cole Haan's corporate headquarters, upper management changed three times; I reported to five (5) different bosses within that period. With that, ultimately, for the first year, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the energy and the staffing decisions (my department ROCKED and has flat out been the most fun and talented group of individuals I've ever dealt with over the last ten years of my professional career). I learned a ton and my experiences at Cole Haan have directly resulted in presenting many opportunities and has also allowed me to grow my network of professionals. Sample sales were nice, too - I definitely brought home the best Christmas and Birthday presents.

ConsSee the note about the change in the upper management. When APAX came in after Nike sold the company, everything changed for the worse, starting with laying off half of my fantastic department without strategically thinking about still needing the department to function properly. Everyone was sort of left to fend for themselves, doing the jobs of at least 2-3 people to make up for the layoffs. Further, from a marketing stand point, APAX has decided to take the safe route and is attempting to return Cole Haan back to their "Americana" or "heritage" roots - which, okay, is fine, but really, really boring and nothing that L.L. Bean or Levi's hasn't already done at least twenty times over...

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the higher ups could be a little nicer and more transparent. You come waltzing in promising the entire company that you're not the "bad guy" and you're looking to give everyone in the company the opportunity to grow with you, while you reek of shady and have everyone tip toeing on egg shells in fear of losing their job. Seriously. Stop it. I understand that you have numbers you need to meet, but with the bonuses that you'll probably be receiving at the end of the year, you could certainly afford some manners.

Exciting and fun to frustration and demoralizing

I have been working at Cole Haan

ProsI really liked the way I get to interact with customers. That's the best part.

ConsThere is inconsistent teaching given. If I make a mistake sometimes I get called on it and sometimes I don't. So if I make a mistake and don't get called on it and I do it again because I didn't know I will sometimes get yelled at.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent. Also, the employee discount doesn't really cut it with the pay and hours you give. Also act on the values that Cole Haan is supposed to be about. Because I haven't seen it from anyone outside the store. Any visitors from higher up than store level: no expression of company values.

Nice company to work for pretty good management

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cole Haan part-time

Pros-Free pair of shoes every 6 months
-Only 4 1/2 shifts
-pay more than minimum wage
-Young workers
-Great Discount online
-Pay incentive if you meet goals for the month
-Learn alot about shoes
-Meet cool people
-fun sometimes and laid back

Cons-You don't get enough hours during the week bc it is only 4 1/2 hour shifts
-Can be boring if not busy

Worked for Cole Haan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cole Haan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cole Haan CEO Jack Boys . All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Cole Haan employees.