Coleman Research Reviews

Kevin Coleman

1. Featured Review

Sales

I have been working at Coleman Research

Pros

Very smart, talented and friendly co-workers. Great work-life balance and team-oriented environment

Cons

Some long hours, tough goals for a rapidly expanding company

Advice to Management

Definitely keep up the internal training

I pray for the day they close their doors, for the sake of their employees and their clients.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems like Research Associates who remain at this company are new hires and people who can't get another job. The only real pro is that you will have a paycheck and might learn some soft skills. It's a paying job, and you can leave it at just that, despite the fact that Coleman will try to make it your life.

Cons

A good portion of the positive reviews of this company on Glassdoor are written by management. To quote an earlier review, it takes a special blend of incompetence to run a company this poorly. Additionally, you are required to make at least 10 outbound calls per day or else you will get fired = this is a call center. Take another job if you have a choice.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the advice your Researchers give you to fix the turnover problem.

Great place for an Internship

Former Intern - Research Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coleman Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coleman offers an effective training program, which is roughly the same for both interns and research associates. Their mentorship program for interns is great. You are assigned a research sector and everyone is willing to answer questions or give advice. It's an excellent place to develop time management and communication skills. The best part of working here was the people. You are surrounded by other young professionals who like to have a good time.

Cons

After the first month the work becomes repetitive and is no longer challenging. Some of the management is young and lacks experience.

Advice to Management

The program for interns has been effective, but I think they can be given more responsibilities.

Highly Recommend

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enter a great work environment where you are allowed to develop your own creative skill set to learn to effectively communicate with the brightest business executives from around the world. The networking opportunities are endless. The international and travel opportunities are top notch and expanding as the company continues to grow at a fast pace. Learning about the financial markets has provided me with endless possibilities for engaging my own personal investment strategies, career advancement opportunities, and provided me with the confidence to approach a top executive or an investor about an opportunity.

Cons

Base salary could easily be higher, but seems to be balanced out by the commission structure and the relatively low cost of living in Raleigh.

Advice to Management

Benefits are great, love the travel opportunities, starting a profit sharing program would be exciting,

6. Perfect First Job

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- This company is filled to the brim with young, driven professionals. If you're looking for a young, casual, fun work environment, you'll find that at Coleman.
    - Comprehensive training program that lasts for 2 weeks helps new hires hit the ground running and sets them up for success.
    - Work/life balance is top-notch. Generous holiday benefits, unlimited sick days (within reason, of course) dental and vision, health insurance, tuition reimbursement etc. Casual dress code and many company-sponsored events, including potlucks, happy hours, minor league games, etc.
    - The work you're doing will help you hone skills that you can take to whatever your next step may be. In just one day at work, I can hone my verbal communication skills, research capabilities, email etiquette, phone manner, written communication skills, and much more.
    - Coming from a liberal arts background, this job has been a crash course in the world of business, and I have gained an incredibly valuable on-the-job knowledge. Coleman will hire basically any major as long as you can display people skills, a knack for critical thinking, and a good work ethic. If you're coming from a non-traditional background but want to gain business experience, I can't think of a better place to start.
    - Raleigh (the base for research operations) has been consistently voted as one of the top cities for young professionals.

Cons

- The day-to-day work is what you make of it. Some projects will be easier and more fun to fulfill than others. If you can find the drive to push through the less-than-ideal projects and make them engaging, you will be much more successful and much happier.
    - Due to the fact that this is a growing business, things tend to change quickly, and these changes are not always communicated to the general staff in a clear and timely manner. The pro of this is that new opportunities frequently open up within the company.
    - Salary could be higher and commission threshold could be lower, although this is mostly compensated for by the relatively cheap cost-of-living in Raleigh.

Advice to Management

- Make training and ongoing education opportunities available to a broader range of employees. A common complaint seems to be a lack of training for middle managers (although I have nothing but praise for my immediate supervisor). Providing more training/continuing education opportunities, earlier, might alleviate these complaints by allowing employees to take initiative from the get-go.

Good first job

I worked at Coleman Research

Pros

Good entry to financial industry

Cons

Small company, not available promotions for everyone

Great Place to Grow with the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong training program that will help recent hires grow into their role as Research Analysts. Gives them the opportunity to learn the basics of the work and go into their jobs with more of a understanding of the work that is required of them.

- A lot of emphasis on skill development including cold calling, email etiquette, communication skills, time management and organization skills.

- Very easy to interact with Senior Management. Although the research team is mostly based in Raleigh, the CFO, CEO and Head of Sales visit Raleigh fairly frequently and are more than happy to speak to any researcher.

- There is always the opportunity to learn and connect with top-level industry experts. If you have a thirst to learn about a variety of different topics, this is the perfect place for you.

- The culture is great; we are a young growing office with a work hard play hard vibe.

- The company is growing at a tremendous rate. This is the perfect place to work if you want to grow with the companies and be exposed to those types of opportunities.

Cons

- You get what you put into this position - if you are intelligent, competitive and driven you will excel here and the chances of promotion are fantastic (many people have been promoted after 6 months to a year). If you don't put in the effort, you will not do well and won't be happy.

- While the chances for promotion are excellent, they also don't train their managers very well. Many of the people managers are young and haven't been formally trained in how to manage their reports.

- The salary isn't great but the chances for commission are tremendous. The base salary could be higher to compete better with other companies in Raleigh, Charlotte, DC and Atlanta.

Advice to Management

I would suggest more training opportunities for senior RAs and people managers in how to manage their direct reports.

9. Great first job

Former Employee - Research Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Really fun culture. Most employees are between 22-30 (majority fresh out of college), and having such a young office means that there are lots of social events, both formal and informal. Employees are always doing happy hours, dinners, going out on weekends, etc. The company also sponsors a lot of social activities in and around Raleigh.
    --Great exposure to many industries. Regardless of what division you work in (Retail, Healthcare, Business/Financial Services, Technology, or Energy & Industrials), you will gain a great understanding of new businesses and industries, as well as the basics of the financial services industry.
    --Growing company. Coleman is in the works of opening up offices in San Francisco and Boston, and presumably with such expansion their will be more opportunities for promotion and development within the company.
    --Work/life balance. Most employees work 8-5 or 9-6 (up to you which), and you are never required to work outside normal business hours. More successful employees tend to stay 30-60 minutes later a day, but it's not a requirement.

Cons

--Compensation is a little bit lower than what colleagues in similar fields are making. With commission it is possible to make a lot more money, but that can't be counted on every month because of business cycles.
    --A company divided. There is a lot of tension between the Account Management (client-facing) and Research (expert-facing) sides of the business.
    --Slow to make changes. Lots of great ideas for improvement have been thrown around at Coleman, but nothing was actually implemented while I was there.

Advice to Management

Please give your middle managers more training. Most Account Managers and Project Managers are thrown into the role without as much training as they need, and it shows.

Senior Research Associate

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Coleman Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun office with happy hours, holiday events, and out of office events like Carolina Hurricanes games, kickball league, and Durham Bulls games. Base salary is typical for new grads and incentive structure is nice, but could be a LOT more in comparison to company revenue and how much revenue each individual RA brings in. Good job for being right out of college. You will network with C-suite execs and learn great communications skills as well as learn basics about the stock market. This job is what you make of it. If you want to learn more, you will learn a LOT. If you are not a hard worker and choose to slack off, you will hate it.

Cons

A young office leads to unprofessional-ism and promotion of kids just out of college is not a good idea. If you want to reward someone for doing well, give them a bonus, not a team to lead. Cold calling is pretty much terrible. How many CEOs do you know that will casually speak with someone over the phone via a cold call about a "consulting opportunity"? Get with the times, people. Commission structure is strongly out of line with the actual revenue being brought in by RAs. Inflexible about holidays...you WILL work Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Dec 26th, and NYE and your manager will harangue you about asking too many days off at a time and taking sick days. There is virtually no training for middle management. The Account Management team is very clearly favored in all situations and clients' needs are put above all, even the C-level execs we recruit to work with them. You need to actually value your experts in your touted expert network! I cannot tell you how many times we had C-level people at Fortune 500 companies STOP wanting to work with us because our clients did not value their time or because we had some egregious scheduling error or technical mishap.

Advice to Management

The entire Research - Account Management structure is completely dysfunctional. The added perks from HR in the last year were nice, but actually showing appreciation for your employee's hard work would be better. You need better incentives for top performers and realize that setting up the most calls does not equate to being the hardest worker. There were months when I worked excessively hard but did not earn commission due to roadblocks with clients or impossible projects, and there were months when I slacked did earn very good commission. Please, please, please actually train your middle managers. You need to realize that top performer (and we have already established that your metrics for performance do NOT work) does not equate to goo manager. Recognize efficient workers, good trainers, and team players when you see them!

Call Center Atmosphere With Absurd Turnover

I have been working at Coleman Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The aspects of the job that are labeled "pros," i.e. interacting with executives, "learning" about specific fields, aren't really pros. The interactions that you have consist of regurgitating information given to you by the client regarding an area they're interested in.

Cons

There is nothing good about this place. Calling the company a "research" outfit is a lie, as there is nothing about it that involves actual research or analysis. The only thing that we look up are the names and contact information of "experts" in areas given to them by clients using LinkedIn and assorted other tools. Learning about the area given isn't necessary to do the job so long as you can speak English. Managers and the few that actually enjoy working there try to spin the place as preparation for a finance/financial services career, though I can't imagine that I'd be competitive at an organization that requires actual skills, as the only things I've only become better at are cold calling and searching LinkedIn. Please avoid this place and don't get sucked into the "mystique" of working with hedge funds and PE firms -- it's not true and you will have zero interaction with them.

Advice to Management

Define some type of path for employees by which they can acquire skills in data analysis/Excel or something that other businesses would actually need. You're setting us all up for sales careers or for other entry level jobs.