Coles Group
www.coles.com.au Tooronga, Australia 5000+ Employees

Coles Group Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Coles Group – Australia – “Driveway”

Coles Group Managing Director Ian McLeod

Ian McLeod

Pros:
  • "Flexible Hours if you are a casual (write in your availability and they will work around it)"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The work environment is amazing"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance does not exist"
    in 3 reviews
  • "If you wish to pursue a career in coles, be prepared to be treated like dirt and work long hours with no recognition"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Colleagues hanging on for Coles Lotto

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Coles Group full-time

ProsGreat perks such as product freebies.

ConsMeeting Culture.
Complacent staff not moving on as they're waiting for a redundancy

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance reviews need to be carried out fairly based on merit and 'performance' rather than allocating ratings based on a bell curve.

I worked at Coles Supermarkets for 5 years as a casual employee while I was at High School & university.

Service Assistant (Former Employee)
Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Coles Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros- There are some great people at Coles - it was very much a team environment & I enjoyed the culture.
- Weekend pay & overtime pay rates were great while I was there. I've worked in hospitality jobs where this was not offered & it made a huge difference on my pay packet when public holidays etc came up.
- There was quite a bit of paid training during my time at Coles. A lot of it was compulsory & was slotted inside of usual rostered shifts.

Cons- The management could be a bit hit & miss; I experienced quite a few changeovers & often it had quite a ripple effect on staff & morale
- As a casual employee I sometimes had my hours cut if there were budget cuts for the department
- The pay as a Full Time or Part Time employee was quite low while I was employed
- There was a lot of pressure on department managers & upper management to stick to budgets & long hours & overtime was expected, but for less than substantial pay

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries & offer more incentives for Departmental managers who really make up the backbone of this company.

Dry Goods Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Coles Group

ProsGood salary if you aren't doing 12 hours every day
Management training is fantastic
Friendly approach towards customers

ConsNot uncommon for department managers to be expected to work 12 hours days very regularly.
Very poor recognition from a lot of the higher management.
Business will continue to cut hours out of departments with very poor explanation and no room for questioning, putting the workload onto salary team members left working 60 hour weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been with the business for 5 years and have worked my ass off to do the very best I can and although I have been appreciative of the training I have received, I have hit my breaking point with the ridiculous expectations from those who do not understand the life inside our stores.
SDR (the hour allowance used in Coles) is the most pathetic and downright insulting structure. It is said that these figures are based on the 'average' speed a team member may work. If this is the case then I encourage you to demonstrate the reality behind this with a training video guide showing the time it takes a team member to complete a task. How does SDR compensate for customer/rep interaction, (both when controlled correctly, completely necessary for a store). When a stores profiling changes so that more work load is expected, why are the hours not added instantly and not up to 6 months later as I have experienced? This forces the few salary team members to make up those hours without any extra pay. Or recognition because in the eyes of a regional manager it is required by the business. When you happen to end up in a store way behind its time in store standards, where is the allowance to fix the issues. I have continually raised these questions previously and have yet to be given an answer to satisfy.

I speak on behalf of the many department managers I have come into contact over the many stores I have worked in, we are fed up! But you wouldn't know that as you don't understand the reality behind the work inside our stores or are going off the word of the store managers trying to cover their asses every time the regional manager walks in.

I write this in hope that somebody sees it that can make the change your team deserves. Or you can continue and undoubtedly lose years of experience right throughout the country..

Fun working environment with great team members

I have been working at Coles Group

Pros-Flexible hours and roster
-Great team members to work with

Cons-Not much career opportunities
-Routine work

Good.

I have been working at Coles Group

ProsReasonable pay for part-time/casual, especially weekends and public holidays. Good working conditions and comprehensive induction. Option of working extra shifts at other sites.

ConsIn some cases, high site manager turnover.

Positive, but....

I have been working at Coles Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent salaries, first appointment department manager will step into 55k. Yearly raises, more if transfered

ConsPoor people skills in some Store Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding a balance between accountability and positive reinforcement is crucial to getting the best of of your teams

Working for Coles

Deli Staff (Current Employee)
Gladstone, Queensland (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCustomer service & retail experience
Flexible hours
Good pay rate for entry level position

ConsAnyone who says working at a supermarket is easy, either don't work or are liars.
No real recognition for effort
I enjoy working at Coles, but feel like am not getting anywhere, a lot of the same thing every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more action on team member survey results.

Team Member

Team Member (Current Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time for more than a year

ProsAbove award wage, flexible shifts, good co-workers, good EBA conditions, preference to put people on permanent over casual, staff discount.

ConsThe customer always being right, copping abuse from customers, workload pressure and inadequate staff hours, lack of appreciation from management.

Rewarding and engaging job.

Safety Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Coles Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYour ideas are listened to and acted on.
There are opportunities to move up the ladder
Hard work is noticed and appreciated

ConsLike any large corporation, it may take time to get through official channels

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the talent is worth keeping, find them a position to stay with you. We won't wait around for months whilst you make a decision.

Good Company to work for

I have been working at Coles Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFocus on your personal development and career progression, company has lifted alot in last few years, good for students as well, good training provided, good support from management

Conslong hours, sometimes its just promise but not action, really depends on your regional manager and store manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally need to do reality checks on Store managers as Upper level management is not getting correct information about team members potentials and people who can do more for the company. I know person who wanted to go for retail leaders program for 2 years, he was putting his hand up for it and never got a chance to go. Store Manager was clearly using him as he was very good at his job and he didn't wanted to loose him. Team member didn't even got any appreciation from Store Manager.

Worked for Coles Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coles Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Coles Group CEO Ian McLeod. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Coles Group employees.