Coles Group Reviews

Updated April 12, 2015
116 reviews filtered by

1. They give you the minimum

Current Employee - Checkout Assistant in Newcastle (Australia)
    Current Employee - Checkout Assistant in Newcastle (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would say the pros of this job is that we have Australian rules and regulations to ensure we are well paid compared to the same job in another country such as the USA. This pro is not due to the company - you will find the same wage in all supermarkets in Australia.

This job is great for a student who needs to earn some money while at university. Don't expect much if you wish to make a career out of this.

Cons

I am currently working at Coles while studying at university. Some of my friends have already graduated and in their positions, if they do well at their job and exceed expectations, they will receive a bonus in what most adults would assume is appropriate - cash.

While working at coles you will receive a cheap lolly for your hard work (or maybe mars bar if you have stayed back late numerous times). It saddens me to see single mothers put so much effort into this job and receive $1 worth of chocolate in exchange for not being at home with their kids on a school night. I'd love to give the CEO a Freddy frog for his end of year bonus!

The managers can vary greatly. The ones who are on the "Coles career path" are completely delusional. They truly believe they make important decisions, however having read some of the emails they receive, I know their job is to make sure they follow what they have been told. The emails will contain exact details of how a store is supposed to be set out, how many people they can roster, what new promotion they will push, how to set out pamphlets, the right way to use a mop and bucket blah blah blah. These emails often contain photos showing them exactly "what good looks like" if ever there is any confusion. The store managers have no involvement in the creation of these management emails. If you want to be a tool for the rest of your life, choose a Coles career.

The only control managers possess is choosing who receives shifts and whether or not to give a refund to undesirables.

The other type of manager is the one who knows they will not be there forever. They will treat people fairly but will be abused by management above. If you ever have one of these managers, support them the best you can because as soon as they leave, the next one might not be so nice.

There is no encouragement to learn any new skills or expand your knowledge. Managers will even not explain how simple programs work as they want to be the only one who is allowed to do this. They love to say that they are the only ones who know how to do a certain job, even though it would take 30 minutes to train somebody to their same level.

There are many more cons which would be in common with every other supermarket out there. Don't fall in to the trap thinking that Coles is any better. You may be loyal to coles but they will never be loyal to you. The shop may be desperate for help and you will sacrifice your time, but if you are ever in need do you think they will do the same in return?

Advice to Management

If you want to reward people, reward them in a way which does not humiliate them. A lolly is what would motivate a 5 year old, not an adult.

I realized very quickly that everybody is qualified to manage; the job requires very little knowledge. Although I work on the checkouts, I believe the grocery fillers would be much more happy if they work in pairs or by themselves in their own small areas. They could decide how they will go about finishing their work without having a manager annoying them. Although the work is still mundane, introducing more autonomy where you can will lift job satisfaction and perhaps productivity.

Let everybody read those management emails so we all have a clear idea of what is expected and being discussed. Having the messages being relayed by somebody who dropped out of school to manage a supermarket doesn't seem to be working. Although the store and department managers may feel threatened by not having exclusive access, I believe having everybody involved (or who wants to be involved) will make the "us and them" distance smaller.

There is no way in hell any of the students working there would want to stay working in the supermarket side. It could be an idea to offer scholarships/internships/incentives to employees studying majors which you will eventually need on the side of the business where decisions are made.

There are more, but they probably wouldn't give any benefit Coles' bottom line so I won't bother.

2. Great place for teamwork and leadership experience

I worked at Coles Group

Pros

Work life balance, teamwork, leadership. Gradual change has made the work environment more pleasurable with less hands on management and more autonomy.

Cons

Filled with old style management up the top so often inflexible but gradually changing into a more adaptable and creative company.

3. Toxic...

Former Employee - Category Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Coles Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career growth
    Plenty of different business units, and lateral movement is encouraged.
    Bonus structure is fair

Cons

95% of your contemporaries will be trying to stab you in the back (or the front!)
    Your bosses will take credit for your good work, and throw you under the bus for your bad work - they're generally too busy to really put much effort into your development

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you can't keep!

5. very well thought out business, but still needs work on the interior of the working structure

Current Employee - Deli Assistant in Launceston (Australia)
    Current Employee - Deli Assistant in Launceston (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people. good fun and good things to learn.

Cons

always the same job, day in day out. customers are always going to be a little bit irrited at times

Advice to Management

Look after your employees instead of bullying them

6. job satisfaction

I have been working at Coles Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, flexible hours, good job while at uni

Cons

Managers really do not care about you

Advice to Management

Value your team members, instead of lashing out at them in every small mistake!!

7. Customer Service Supervisor

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Coles Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coles as an overall company believes in it's workers, provides great pay and allows for leadership opportunities. Employees were provided flexible working hours.

Cons

A lot of casuals means a lot of unreliability from other staff caused issues beyond supervisor's control but the supervisor was always at fault.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff when they stay back and award them for putting in extra work when required.

8. fulfilling experience

Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. The work environment is amazing
    2. Colleagues and Co-workers are an amazing support
    3. They're constantly encouraging you to learn more

Cons

1. Can be too critical
    2. At times can be disorganized

9. Hard working

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Coles Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company gave me plenty of challenges which I took on. I had the opportunity to work with many amazing people, and develop many skills which are very transferable into other comopanies.

Cons

The rotating rosters can be challenging over the years, and retail is all about customer service. Patience is a virtue if you are not an extrovert type.

Advice to Management

Always treat everyone with respect, and never forget anyone in the company, as your team members are your greatest asset.

10. "Mostly chilled out...mostly."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Coles Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work
    Meet lot's of nice people
    Good way to interact with the community

Cons

Monotonous, management can make a lot of errors with rostering,
    Get's boring quickly.

Advice to Management

Get to know staff

11. Great time stacking shelves at the local Coles

I worked at Coles Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a good fun place, no one was hard or anything. Good work environment and good people. Flexible hours.

Cons

Pay was not fantastic, I would like to earn a little more than I did. Sometimes it was boring.

Advice to Management

Not much to advise really, they did their job, managed a group of young people well.

Coles Group Photos