Colgate-Palmolive

Colgate-Palmolive Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Colgate-Palmolive Chairman, President, and CEO Ian M. Cook

Ian M. Cook

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, good management if you are paired with a good mentor"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Great benefits and still has some great people there"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance was no good for me at all"
    in 12 reviews
  • "very conservative; the decision making process is too long"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I worked for the company for 29 years - all in the global Training and Development area

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAll global training is strategically aligned with the business. The CEO endorses , values and is a presence in the development of leadership talent. All learning products, whether sourced off the shelf externally or designed and developed anew undergo a rigorous process to assure the their quality and alignment with the business and learner needs. Employees who perform well and make a contribution to the business are well rewarded and recognized.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is extremely well run and successful. have no advice to offer.

A very caring company that has changed dramatically over the last years, turning to outsourcing jobs overseas.

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1) Good Pay 2) A very caring environment up to 2 years ago 3) Many career opportunities 4) Challenging Work

Cons1) Outsourcing functions overseas to India for substandard work 2) Reduction of NVOs to all time low-more work, less people. 3) Too focused on margin

Advice to Senior ManagementYou became successful because of the people that worked hard for you that you are now outsourcing.

Nice place to work

Intern (Former Employee)
Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive part-time for less than a year

ProsThey have great cafeteria in their facility. The people are very friendly and helpful. The area is a nice place to live in. They have a very nice work/life balance and have health days throughout the year. Also, have a store on site where you can buy discounted CP products

ConsI do not have any complaints about working there. Absolute great place to work and live. Saw a couple turkeys in the parking lot once though, kinda concerning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice. Business is doing well and everyone seemed qualified and competent.

Comfortable, family-oriented company. A little old fashioned.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits and pension program. Medical after retirement. Good succession planning in company. Family-oriented environment, many loyal employees (except maybe in Marketing function). Finally have work/life balance program. Caring company. Merits and bonus still implemented so far. Open-minded and GBLT friendly.

ConsOld fashioned. Cutting corners now in the wrong places. Only focus on high potentials and not so much the strong base and foundation of loyal employees lower on the totem pole, so few growth opportunities for them. Pay not necc competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow that you care more about the employees that keep the company well supported and running - they are loyal, but are often passed over for early level/mgt opportunities that now seem reserved only for hi-potentials/expats. Be less old-fashioned and trust your employees more.

CP was incredible.

Flavor Department Co-Op (Former Employee)
Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly, understanding atmosphere with down-to-earth coworkers! It was an excellent experience in the corporate world. Longevity possible, loyalty is very well rewarded. Wellness programs implemented company-wide.

ConsWell-managed, but the politics of a large company tend to leave employees who go the extra mile to be slightly under-appreciated.

Wonderful internship experience in IT.

GIT Intern (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive as an intern

ProsEveryone is very nice and looking to help. Great work environment.

ConsNothing negative to say about company

Co-op

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

Prosgives you room to excel and challenge yourself

ConsNot a very social atmosphere

Good company to work for

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsGreat Benefits, promotes a team environment, very focused on cost saving initiatives, good work / life balance, encourage telecommuting, very strong financial record

ConsDecision making process is sometimes slow, a lot of red tape in backfilling of positions, some areas of organization are too lean and need to add additional headcount to key areas, too many people are stagnant in one position too long

Colgate

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive as a contractor for more than a year

ProsInnovative place, growth, salary/benefit/employee discounts are great, summer schedule (get off at 1pm on Fridays during the summer)

Conscorporate and rigid culture, always sizing down,

Intense experience

Business Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsColgate has excellent benefits and my personal experience has been one of rewarding professional development opportunities. I was able to complete my MBA during my first 2 years with the company. During a period of downsizing, I was given an opportunity to work in NJ. While it was a long commute, I at least continued to be employed.

ConsThe environment is pretty conservative, never really felt relaxed at work nor comfortable enough to share any problems I'd experience in the course of performing my role.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would want to say that an investment in a source of support for the employee as a person would be an added bonus to the great benefits.

Worked for Colgate-Palmolive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colgate-Palmolive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Colgate-Palmolive CEO Ian M. Cook. All 224 reviews posted anonymously by Colgate-Palmolive employees.