Colibrium

Mark T. Poling

What I think about Colibrium

Current Employee - Technical Delivery Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Delivery Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working for Colibrium for more than 7 years. Colibrium is probably not the best company to work for. However there are still several reasons why I would like to continue to work for Colibrium. The main reason is the people. Mainly if you are a developer or technical person, you would love to work with the smart, technically strong, and very talented group of people in Colibrium. Even the founders of the Company came from highly technical background.
    I like challenges. Since the Company is still growing, it goes through many challenges. Most of the time I get all the reasonable help I need from upper management to work on any challenging tasks. Since Colibrium has very smart group of people, we successfully complete almost all the challenging tasks almost 100% of the time.
    As a developer, I always like to learn new things. Colibrium does not offer many professional training on new technologies. However, there are many opportunities to learn new thing in the Company. Sometimes it’s technical and sometimes it’s non-technical. In either case, I can directly apply what you learn in client projects, under good, reliable leadership and guidance. This is, in a way, better than paid professional training.
    Colibrium is also not the company where you get similar benefits as Google or Microsoft. It’s a growing company. The benefits, it offers, are easily competitive to most of the similar size companies. One of the benefits, that I like, is the 3 days’ work from home policy. Other than competitive health, vision, dental benefits, it also offers good 401K benefit that matches dollar to dollar.
    Colibrium went through some hard time beginning of this year mostly due to recent healthcare reform. Surely that concerned me a lot. However, I have to say, the company came back pretty strongly. We got 3 new clients recently. In the health insurance industry getting 3 clients in a short time is a pretty big deal. We also started hiring in all roles again. This definitely helps to get more confidence on the Company. According our recent company conference, we are profitable again. Colibrium reinstated all the lost benefits and also adjusted salary for those who qualified. That’s the first thing it did after becoming profitable again.
    Colibrium may not be the best place to work for. Also it may not be the place where you get the best benefits on market. I still enjoy working here and will continue to work for Colibrium. I am sure there many people in the company who would say the same.

Cons

I think communication is one of the areas where Colibrium can improve. I have noticed few times that upper management have good intentions but it does not get communicated all the way.

Keep up the good work guys. We are getting there :)

Above Average Company Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colibrium has a really unique and functional work environment. Employees are trusted to work independently, and team leaders do not micro-manage. With a casual environment, flexible work schedules, and community events, Colibrium is a really great and modern place to work.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Colobrium. It is a company in transition, working on expanding and trying to nail down the best policies & procedures, which can cause a bump in the road here or there. But, overall Colibrium has protected it's dedicated employees through the recent changes, and we have come out better for it.

Management has done a really great job of updating employees on current happenings, and being transparent. Keep up the good work!

Stellar collaborative workforce

Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Colibrium allows you to work from home 3 days a week, which is hard to find anywhere else. They are pretty flexible with when you start & finish your work day. There's about 6 'core hours' in the day you have to be present for and outside of that, you can start and finish when you please. PTO is pretty generous, and there are a number of in and out of office social activities to help you get to know everyone.

Workforce is staffed with a group of stellar, talented people who are passionate about delivering a great product. Everyone is very helpful and willing to knowledge share on tools, processes, past experiences, etc.

Company outlook is positive as we have a lot of new work slated to start soon.

Cons

The clients can be very demanding and challenging. Expectations are high for a quality product. This can infringe on work-life balance sometimes, but when I've escalated situations like this to management, they've always stepped in to fix the situation for me and for my team, especially when the issues we are facing are outside of our control.

Keep hiring quality employees. Continue to reward those that are doing well. Maybe institute more frequent company checkpoints to share all of the latest news.

Bright Company Outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time

Pros

Very intelligent, driven and passionate coworkers. Flexible work from home policy. Fair compensation and benefits

Cons

New office location in Roswell

Unlimited opportunities to gain valuable experience!

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros of working for Colibrium are the work from home policy and the intelligent, accountable and professional co-workers you have. The salaries are competitive and the benefits (health insurance is fully covered for employees) are the best I've had at any company. As with many small companies, you have the opportunity to take on many different tasks and gain really valuable experience.

Cons

The clients can be challenging and the industry presents its own challenges. There were some tough times earlier this year but it seems the company is back on track, signing new clients and even recently giving raises! Work/life balance has not always been great but management has recognized the importance of that and keeps an eye on projects that appear to be getting too demanding.

Continue to be open and honest. Take the time to talk and listen to the employees.

Great experience, the company will take care of you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people
    100% paid healthcare
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging.

Hard times were hit last year, but things have turned the corner. It is important to reward those who stuck through.

The people here are amazing and among the very best you'll ever work with.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

3-day per week work from home policy is awesome. Flexible work hours so long as you adhere to 'core work hours.' Mgmt is very understanding and accommodating to your needs. The company did go through some tough times financially but has booked a lot of new business and was recently able to dole out pay raises and reinstate the 401k program (with matching!)

The people here are amazing and among the very best you'll ever work with. There is a sense of teamwork and accountability. Most everyone I work with is intelligent, driven, and charismatic. I've worked here for 3 years and I've seen management consistently recognize and reward hard work and talent. I myself have been promoted several times and received compensation in reward for my hard work in many forms including pay bonuses, raises, additional PTO, etc. I've worked with a lot of different team members during my time here and I've never seen anyone put in the work without being rewarded for it.

I feel like management takes your suggestions and concerns seriously when you present them thoughtfully.

Cons

Given some of the recent challenges, there are definitely opportunities for improvement, but you can see the evidence that the work is underway. There have been drastic improvements in the infrastructure over the last few months. We've recently booked a lot of new business, which may mean in the short time that you have to go the extra mile until we're fully staffed up to accommodate this work.

This is not a place where you can coast and expect to continually get raises and promotion based on tenure. BUT, you will be consistently rewarded if you put the work in and your output is quality.

Continue the policy of being open and honest about the good and the bad. Keep focusing on opportunities for growth and improvement. After we ramp down from the busy Open Enrollment Period, consider opportunities for cross-training and employee career training so team members are better equipped to handle the wide array of projects we're beginning to book.

Rough Patch in early 2014, but Solid Company and People

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has been a great experience working for Colibrium for the past 1.5 yrs. The company has a small start-up atmosphere, but with a solid product-based backbone.
    - I have a lot of respect for all of the people in the company. Colibrium has an incredibly talented and intelligent group of people, and that has always impressed me. Coming from other large corporations, it was a refreshing to be working around so many driven people.
    - The company has competitive compensation and great benefits.
    - The management have shown to be great leaders and work well with all types of employees. I am not just lead by my managers, but I have also become friends with them. Mutual respect among all positions.
    - There is great opportunity within the company. Especially since the company is small, you can pretty quickly get noticed and work directly with senior management.
    - I am challenged, and I also have some freedom to try my hand in other projects.
    - There is not a direct, predictable path for career growth within the company. I think that is a positive aspect because it allows for people to grow towards their strengths and not be limited due to an existing path that all must follow. This leaves room for high growth opportunity for both career and salary.

Cons

I'm not going to beat around the bush here: the company did have some financial issues in early 2014. There were many people laid off and others that voluntarily left. It was a stressful time for everyone. The company has since rebounded, and everything seems to be getting back on track. There is an element of risk working for a company with recent volatility, but that also means there is opportunity. I was here before and after this rough patch, and I would not have many cons to mention on how Colibrium's business is conducted.

Hire employees of the same caliber that I have seen! The people make this place great!

A Developer's Nightmare

Current Employee - Solutions Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Solutions Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits, good people, it's a job.

Cons

Colibrium is trying to increase headcount but is having a lot of trouble, much of which can be attributed to the Glassdoor reviews. You may have noticed a big increase in positive reviews. This is because management has asked us to write positive reviews in order to boost the company's overall rating and attract more interest in working here. You may have also noticed that none of these positive reviews were posted by those holding a developer title.

Being a developer at Colibrium is not fun. What's installed on your machine on day 1 is what you get. Requests for additional development tools and extra hardware are ignored. The core product is unnecessarily complex and has been over-engineered in minor areas and under-engineered in key areas. Unit tests are non-existent and there are no testers. Business Analysts are expected to manually test the product, which is extremely inefficient and quite monotonous. I predict that what's left of the developers (most of which have been here under a year) will leave by year's end. For the month of August we've averaged one a week.

Colibrium has quite an unstable work environment. The company grew very quickly Q3 2013 and then plummeted Q1 2014. There were multiple late paychecks and benefits were put on hold. Upper management put layoff rumors to rest during a company meeting and then laid off about 25% of the company 2 weeks later. It would have likely been a much higher percentage but the turnover rate is at over 40%, which means many people left beforehand.

A large outsourcing company purchased Colibrium's debt in exchange for a majority stake in the company. Since then, many more people have left, including middle management, and there have been no back-fills. We're told the 401K is returning, with a lower company match, and bonuses are non-existent.

Time and again you have ignored your employees. My advice? Don't do that.

Work/life balance is incredible!!!

Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colibrium (more than an year)

Pros

I love my job and the work/life balance I have!! Coming from a consulting background, this is the only place I have seen with an incredible work/life balance that doesn't require you to be on the road every week. I maintain a normal work schedule (40-42 hours a week) and am able to work from home 3 days a week. In addition to the work/life perks, health insurance is paid 100% for employees and management recognizes hard work and rewards it! It's nice to feel appreciated and have management support.

Cons

We faced some financial challenges earlier in the year, but things have really turned around and are better than ever. I think the biggest challenge is being a new software consulting company (previously the company only consulted and did not have their own software offering) in an industry that is ever-changing. It will be a challenge over the next few years to adapt the software to the changing laws.