Colibrium

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark T. Poling

Rocky times but not hopeless

Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colibrium full-time for less than a year

ProsGood compensation before they hit a rough patch and had to suspend 401k match. Internal promotions are available. Very flexible remote work policies. Niche market still shows plenty of demand.

ConsConsulting legacy leads to myopic focus, long hours, and process heavy work flow. Most deployed clients are using old Web Forms platform with no intentions to upgrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementColibrium needs to drive engagements rather than just accept whatever crazy ideas clients have. Drop problem contracts and shrink more if you have to. 2014 was bad and it needs to get even worse before it gets better. Consolidate to one city as having teams split between Seattle and Atlanta needlessly complicate matters and increase costs.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Solid core; weak surface. Excellent do well; others do not

Senior Consultant, Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Colibrium full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people, the people, the people (oh and the people) -- I have built a lasting portfolio of network contacts since being there; and have casual IM conversations with practically everyone on my work contact list.

Flexibility in "core hours" and a work from home day option are a huge plus (also a floor to ceiling filled break room with drinks/snacks). While hours can build up, some managers will work with you on tradeoffs with working from home or leaving a little early to compensate. I actually ended up working overtime because I enjoyed working on some of the project tasks I had.

Small office environment with stacked director/c suite means that the owners and upper echelon individuals are available for conversation/ feedback. I IM with the CIO and have gone to a conference with the CEO.

Accountability -- people who underperform do not stay which does incur some poor glassdoor reviews, but it means that the employees there are people who want to be there and who Colibrium wants to be there.

ConsTo really grow, you have to elbow your way into opportunity. There are possibilities, but one must be driven to push himself to expand into those roles/ opportunities (and one of the managers frowns on that).

Morale and culture have been rocky (early 2014) which isn't expected to last into summer with some of the changes. As you can see by some reviews, things have been fluid for a month or two which people are unhappy about. I know there have been executive decisions which will resolve all these issues by June or so; but that period was a valley for a company.

There are small company challenges like no education stipend and sometimes project work takes priority over the non-billable. The company's movement to function as something close to lean has been a very slow progress.

The industry of healthcare insurance has been slow to pick up IT and was hurt financially by the ACA rollout October 2013. Most of that pain reared its head around Feb/March -- so the client's industry slowed vendor Colibrium down a little bit. Overall, the clients have been a bit 'surly' and the management of expectations went haywire as the issuers panicked throughout obamacare implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be discouraged by the winter/spring 2014 dip in stability. Stick to your guns and keep doing the right thing. Thank you for being open and transparent with your employees.

Do not under-value feedback. I got feedback from third parties but never management directly--the smallest indicator of performance or room for improvement can go a long way.

Office culture starts with the top. So managers, if you do not work on settling differences between each other, no one below you will feel confident.

Thank you for the opportunities--I hope to keep in touch in the future.

Definitely not worth the time and doesn't do anything to help build your resume.

I worked at Colibrium full-time

ProsCompetitive salary, but that doesn't really count when they mess up your paycheck multiple times. One time, they actually delayed paying the entire company for 6 calendar days "due to lack of funds."

Lots of break room snacks.

Most of the people are actually very intelligent.

ConsThey're having some serious financial struggle. They just laid off ~20% so that should provide an insight as to how they're performing financially. They also stopped matching our 401K.

The managers, including the executive team and principals, don't have very good leadership/management skills. They're smart, but that doesn't make them good managers/leaders. They're always complaining to their subordinates about different parts of the company and, of course, people follow suit and it plummets morale.

No real growth opportunities. Developers are just coding a pretty boring product and business analysts are worked to death with mundane tasks. I think it's pretty atrocious that we're forced to work really late but the managers don't offer to help...see what I mean by poor leadership skills?

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a leadership 101 class. Maybe you could even try asking employees how their weekend was? Perhaps you can also learn to budget properly so that you can pay your employees on time and don't have to lay off anybody.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dead end for your career.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Colibrium full-time for less than a year

ProsCanceled the 401K, gaps in our health coverage, several months late with annual reviews, frequently late with paychecks.

ConsAvoid this company at all costs.
They lie during the hiring process to lure you in.

Developers:
There is no career path, you get stuck in a job and that's the end of it.
There is no SDLC, no code reviews, poor testing, no training, very little documentation.

Management doesn't communicate downstream and doesn't attend meetings. You're expected to show up and work. You'll never know what's going on outside of the next release date.

Most of the employees are highly skilled and driven, but everyone is set up to fail. I've never seen a more depressing workforce look so defeated on a daily basis. More often than not, you go home feeling like you worked your hardest yet didn't accomplish a thing.

Frequent employee turnover has resulted in too many hands in the project. The code base is a mess and every day is a scramble to address customer emergencies. The customer dictates the release cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementHalf of the management just quit. A quarter of the developers just quit. Analysts are quitting left and right. The writing is on the wall.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Colibrium full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility - WFH Thursdays - Internal promotions

Cons1. The company simply DOES NOT listen to its employees. They are open to listen to your ideas but listening is the only thing they do :)
2. The product is developed by contractors and then full time employees are asked to support it, which is by far the worse practice I have ever seen.
3. The work here is not challenging - you are just customizing a "badly written" product. You can stay here as a developer and learn nothing for years.
4. Product knowledge is in Atlanta and the person with knowledge never have time to share. I hope he stays with the company forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the product rewritten using better patterns. Get it developed in-house. Focus on adding new features to the product to make it a challenge for your developers.

Mismanagement Mahem

I worked at Colibrium full-time for more than a year

ProsPro: free break room snacks

ConsWithout a doubt, Colibrium is the most mismanaged organizations I have ever been associated with. Clarity of vision and message for a 'product' (which does not exist - it's overwhelmingly 'custom') exists on all levels: Marketing, Sales, Delivery, to Support. Management isolates themselves from truly addressing serious Product and Delivery issues, not only physically (management is in a separate 'wing' of the Atlanta office) but also organizationally; inserting multiple levels of management in to an already top-heavy structure.

Development, PM, BA, TA staff are highly skilled; working against unrealistic deadlines and extended hours for demanding clients - yes, that would be expected at any similar company. Issue here is, upper management will 'promise the world' to the client; completely discounting the obvious implications or rational thought for delivering a quality product in a reasonable timeframe.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. You hired them for a reason, remember? Enlist them in finding solutions to issues with product and delivery.Don't dictate from behind a closed door.

There are lies and then there are damned LIES.

I worked at Colibrium full-time

ProsThe nature of the industry niche served means they should have a lot of business coming through the door.

ConsDeceptive from recruitment through to the customer experience. Consultants asked to spin tales about the capabilities of the product which are not true. Health of the organization not represented accurately in interviews or to the clients. How they have not gotten sued at this point is amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFounders need to get out of the way. Also, C-levels need to stop coding and connect the organization back into the technology community. Also, stop writing contracts your organization can't cash.

A Deceptive Company with Deceptive Practices

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colibrium full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople are incredibly nice. Lots of free snacks. Work form home on Thursday.

ConsThe foundation for their company is that they have an "out of the box product" - which they don't. The pressure to perpetuate that myth on consultants is high. No promotions from within - their cornerstone is to pay young, high achieving youth a low wage and work them to the bone. Upper Management has no people skills, and no experience managing people, Sees no value in own employees, and is constantly "spinning" to clients to cover up the fact that there is no product - only a platform that is constantly in flux.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some Human Resource/People skills. There are a lot of "Directors" with little or personnel management skills. 1:1s are spent discussing projects, not your personal development until they are dissatisfied with something. 9/10 times your direct manager knows nothing about you or what you are doing. Communication downward is terrible and no professional development

Honestly not a horrible place to work, but leadership lacks vision, direction, and experience to be truly effective.

I worked at Colibrium full-time for less than a year

Pros1. The people at the company are very driven and for the most part intelligent. A lot of people from diverse backgrounds and industries.
2. Opportunity. If you get staffed on the right project, there is plenty of room for growth and plenty of responsibility is given to you.

Cons1. Product is a bit "niche"-y and the company doesn't seem to have a clear vision for growth. They seem happy with where they are and as a result, do not actively hunt for opportunities the way it should. Should be aiming to be a product company given how much internal focus they give the product, but they insist on being a "consulting" company. Problem is little to none of their employees truly have the industry knowledge to add value.
2. Upper management. I'm not a firm believer that the upper management at the company truly knows what it is doing. They are trying to define processes and deliverables. Problem is, what they come up with seems straight out of a "SDLC/Management for Dummies" Book. That causes them to change on the fly which makes delivery extremely hard. Management plays favorites (to be expected anywhere) and clearly caters to certain people.
3. Work/life Balance. Analysts are not valued and are worked to the bone. Sure you get to wear jeans and get to go home at 5, but you're working much longer than that once you get home.

The best and brightest: opportunity spring board for excelling

I have been working at Colibrium full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking at Colibrium Partners gives opportunity to move in whichever direction you want as a BA or TA--either towards support, new implementations or even industry-leading, cutting-edge initiatives. The work load is reasonable and the team around you is motivated which is the most encouraging part of the job. Although the work environment is sprinkled with old salts and a few younger generationers, the vibe is geared towards those who want to excel. (Other huge pros are the kitchen which is always stocked, the dress code- jeans in office and hours = core operation with your choice of any 8 around that + work from home Thursdays)

ConsWorking for a small company has limitations in terms of budgeting opportunities (there is no stipend for continuing education) and corporate cell phones are not provided--you can use your desk phone and for mobile device, choose to sync your own

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management: continue with the structure (I like the closeness I have with my manager) and look for company cell options.

Worked for Colibrium? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colibrium reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Colibrium CEO Mark T. Poling. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Colibrium employees.