Collective Bias Reviews

Reset
4.4
Bill Sussman

1. Business Development

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This sounds cliché, but the people are what make CB an awesome place to work. It's the closest thing to a family-type environment I've experienced in my career. It's very flat, meaning each and every person feels valuable, versus only feeling important because of their title. Leadership has done a solid job of making sure advancement is based on performance and merit, versus basing it solely on tenure or previous work experience. People know and embrace their roles, for the most part, and though there can be occasional growing pains (adding new, tedious processes, etc.), people are generally content with how seamless the company has made many of the tasks involved in our individual roles. I often hear new people say how blown away they are with our internal technology platforms and how connected they allow us to be to our co-workers and clients. Overall, an amazing place to work with incredible work spaces (not just in Bentonville - NY and Chicago, too) and great people. I'm proud to tell people what I do. Oh, and there are dogs in the office. Can't beat that.

Cons

We're still a relatively small company (115'ish employees), and due to limited headcount some departments move slower than other larger departments would prefer them to move. It's not a detriment to the work environment, by any means, but can cause occasional friction. I see this improving as we continue to grow, and assume all companies who grow this fast experience the same "issue."

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It would be nice to see more growth in infrastructure - more developers, product team members, analysts, etc. - but we all understand that's part of the roadmap. Continue to encourage everyone to see not only the importance of their roles, but also their place in the larger picture. Continue to create growth plans for entry level employees and let them know how they're pacing against those plans often. Keep inspiring people to keep learning about the space in which we operate, and maybe provide more educational tools in areas like shopper, digital, omnichannel, etc. There's always room to improve!

2. Can I Please Work Here Forever?

Current Employee - Intern in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Intern in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

I absolutely love working at CB. Everyone is so welcoming and wants to be here. I have not met one single person who doesn't like working for this company, and that includes myself. I knew before I got hired that I had a special connection to this place, and now that I'm here I can't imagine myself working anywhere else. Of course I am young and the future may bring unexected things, but in no way do I plan on leaving anytime soon! The environment is really laid-back and everyone makes themselves at home. The vacation policy is amazing, especially for someone who has travel on her mind and family far away. People are always willing to help each other out. We are a team, and we wouldn't be successful without each other.

Cons

I've only been here a little over a month. While that is a relatively short amount of time, I have done a lot of work and been here a lot of hours. I can't find one thing to complain about!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, cause it feels like I've found my forever work-home.

3. CB is a quality place to work

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time

Pros

Flexible vacation policy Most of the people are great to work with Great clients

Cons

HR does not crack down on some people who say comments in the workplace or around co-workers who post on social media what many would qualify as unprofessional behavior Limited travel opportunities for everyone except top management Job security

Advice to Management

Growing company with a lot of opportunity. Since we are a company, HR needs to be more involved in making the employees act appropriately.

5. Great company & culture

Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Development
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Development

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

After always working for large corporations, I have been very happy with making the move to Collective Bias - not only is the product really strong, but the culture & organizational flatness also allows for employees across different levels to be heard and to make an impact.

Cons

Some of the folks who have been around the company since inception still think in old ways / processes but the company can and will continue to focus on brining in top talent as it grows to larger company.

Advice to Management

Continue to build brand equity of Collective Bias outside of HQ market as best as possible.

Dream Job

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

The culture is a serious selling point. Imagine waking up every morning excited to go to your job. The atmosphere is laid back, yet the employees work extremely hard to be successful. Everyone is connected to everyone else, and there are company sponsored events to promote connectivity and collaboration. They allow dogs in the office, have monthly company wide breakfasts, bring food trucks to our front doors, and share several opportunities to give back to the community.

Cons

Not all departments are team players: The Sales team has an individualistic mindset and does not always collaborate well with other departments.

Advice to Management

Recognize that while Sales is important, it is only one department and the company could not function without the rest of the team. Encourage sales members to be more courteous, collaborative, and appreciative.

Collective Bias Response

Jul 7, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. We have taken this to heart and will work on encouraging all members of the team to work as one!

Great people, great energy, great opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for Collective Bias as a remote employee. I work hard and closely (via video conferencing, etc.) with my team. But I love working in social media and what we create for our clients/advertisers. There is a strong culture of creative, fun, social people who work hard and sometimes play hard.

Cons

I know we might get so busy at times that we don't collaborate as much as we'd like, but we understand that we're producing great work for awesome brands and smart bloggers - so it's all good!

Advice to Management

Love the monthly company meetings - makes us who work remotely feel a part of the team. Appreciate the support and trust of management at the home office.

Collective Bias Response

Jul 7, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback!

The most awesomest awesomed up company dripping with honeycombs of awesome with awesome sprinkles on top!

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

Collective Bias is one of the rare and precious few startups that have been able to balance a high work ethic with a fun and mellow atmosphere. Having recently moved to a new building more befitting their growing size, one of the amazing things you will notice upon entering is the quiet ambiance, due to the omission of office phones incessantly ringing off the hook (nearly everyone uses cell phones instead). Coming from a nightmare of a bureaucratic job that remains stuck in the 90s (where faxes and Windows XP is still considered high-tech), CB's offices are nirvana by comparison. They also retain a family-oriented attitude. We're not just co-workers: we're a company family that join together to participate in a myriad of lively activities, whether it's volunteering for shelters, competing in sports, or just getting silly on Halloween. They promote a casual atmosphere that paradoxically makes you want to work harder, and it shows. Perhaps most CB employees know a good thing when they see it, and the vast majority of them all have a vested interest in wanting to see CB continue to thrive and succeed, myself included.

Cons

If there are any cons, I would say part of it probably lies in the typical growing pains that so afflict startup companies, where different divisions working for the same clientele don't always keep each other up to speed on what's happening. This is something that's usually resolved easily by simply looping each other into ongoing email threads or utilizing Salesforce better for more improved collaboration. I have also observed quite a few coworkers who exhibited incredible and truly brilliant ideas that could contribute to CB's expansion and growth, but other than senior management encouraging us to send emails whenever we have questions or feedback, there doesn't seem to be a clear process on how lower tiered workers can propose comprehensive ideas that can aid in innovation to the chief executives of the company.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that senior management (those who sit on the board, etc.) do a once a month brainstorm meeting that invites any member of CB to come in and propose a new project or idea that could potentially benefit the company and produce a new revenue stream. I recall that Coinstar (now called Outerwall) did something similar, actively querying their workers for fresh new ideas they could utilize to expand their product offerings, and giving prizes to those whose ideas they ultimately went with. It struck me as very clever and is something I'd love to see with CB as well. The talent pool here is deep enough that I see excellent potential for CB to develop cutting edge products in an ever changing industry that will keep them competitive, and at the top of the chain for years to come.

The very BEST place I have ever worked!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, nice, smart people, leaders who are honest, fair and transparent, competitive salary, with great work/life balance, and opportunities to engage and build relationships with your co-workers and local community!

Cons

Long term advancement opportunities may be limited due to company size, but environment and rapid company growth/work experiences make up for it in the short term.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on increasing technological enhancements for competitive advancement in market.

Collaborative company for a lot of career potential for those passionate about their job and the company

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

The company is still small enough to where if you have an idea, go for it, if you have ways to make something better or more efficient, go for it. It truly is a company based on collaboration and team work. The people that work here are driven and passionate about the company and that makes every day exciting.

Cons

It is still a new company and a growing company, every day processes changes and there are growing pains and it takes time for leadership to figure out how to make things work. While this is definitely a big con, it also makes for interesting and challenging days which never lets you be bored.

Advice to Management

More distinct career paths created would be good, it is a young company so some sort of path and goals to work toward would be great. Continue to promote within, lots of young talent who are loyal, promote within and give everyone the tools to develop. Continue to be transparent with the company standings and direction of the company. Continue to hire hardworking people.

11. Great place if you like to work at entrepreneurial places.

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

If you appreciate the freedom to develop new ideas and run with them, then you'll like CB. And I love the transparency.

Cons

It took some time to learn how to work with a remote team. But it works well.

RSS Feed </> Embed