Collective Bias Reviews

4.4
Bill Sussman

Dream Job

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

The culture is a serious selling point. Imagine waking up every morning excited to go to your job. The atmosphere is laid back, yet the employees work extremely hard to be successful. Everyone is connected to everyone else, and there are company sponsored events to promote connectivity and collaboration. They allow dogs in the office, have monthly company wide breakfasts, bring food trucks to our front doors, and share several opportunities to give back to the community.

Cons

Not all departments are team players: The Sales team has an individualistic mindset and does not always collaborate well with other departments.

Advice to Management

Recognize that while Sales is important, it is only one department and the company could not function without the rest of the team. Encourage sales members to be more courteous, collaborative, and appreciative.

2. Great people, great energy, great opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for Collective Bias as a remote employee. I work hard and closely (via video conferencing, etc.) with my team. But I love working in social media and what we create for our clients/advertisers. There is a strong culture of creative, fun, social people who work hard and sometimes play hard.

Cons

I know we might get so busy at times that we don't collaborate as much as we'd like, but we understand that we're producing great work for awesome brands and smart bloggers - so it's all good!

Advice to Management

Love the monthly company meetings - makes us who work remotely feel a part of the team.
    Appreciate the support and trust of management at the home office.

3. Very happy with CB's future

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth (more so than ever before). Upper management really wants to see everyone grow and develop, and they promote us accordingly.

Great benefits including flexible days off and health benefits.

Cons

Not too much, old management issues have been resolved with the strong leadership of our CEO, COO and other leaders in the company.

Advice to Management

More training would be helpful (from HR, not just from Department heads) since you learn as you go company (versus a specific training program for EVERY new hire or promoted employee).

5. The most awesomest awesomed up company dripping with honeycombs of awesome with awesome sprinkles on top!

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

Collective Bias is one of the rare and precious few startups that have been able to balance a high work ethic with a fun and mellow atmosphere. Having recently moved to a new building more befitting their growing size, one of the amazing things you will notice upon entering is the quiet ambiance, due to the omission of office phones incessantly ringing off the hook (nearly everyone uses cell phones instead). Coming from a nightmare of a bureaucratic job that remains stuck in the 90s (where faxes and Windows XP is still considered high-tech), CB's offices are nirvana by comparison.

They also retain a family-oriented attitude. We're not just co-workers: we're a company family that join together to participate in a myriad of lively activities, whether it's volunteering for shelters, competing in sports, or just getting silly on Halloween. They promote a casual atmosphere that paradoxically makes you want to work harder, and it shows. Perhaps most CB employees know a good thing when they see it, and the vast majority of them all have a vested interest in wanting to see CB continue to thrive and succeed, myself included.

Cons

If there are any cons, I would say part of it probably lies in the typical growing pains that so afflict startup companies, where different divisions working for the same clientele don't always keep each other up to speed on what's happening. This is something that's usually resolved easily by simply looping each other into ongoing email threads or utilizing Salesforce better for more improved collaboration. I have also observed quite a few coworkers who exhibited incredible and truly brilliant ideas that could contribute to CB's expansion and growth, but other than senior management encouraging us to send emails whenever we have questions or feedback, there doesn't seem to be a clear process on how lower tiered workers can propose comprehensive ideas that can aid in innovation to the chief executives of the company.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that senior management (those who sit on the board, etc.) do a once a month brainstorm meeting that invites any member of CB to come in and propose a new project or idea that could potentially benefit the company and produce a new revenue stream. I recall that Coinstar (now called Outerwall) did something similar, actively querying their workers for fresh new ideas they could utilize to expand their product offerings, and giving prizes to those whose ideas they ultimately went with. It struck me as very clever and is something I'd love to see with CB as well. The talent pool here is deep enough that I see excellent potential for CB to develop cutting edge products in an ever changing industry that will keep them competitive, and at the top of the chain for years to come.

6. The very BEST place I have ever worked!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, nice, smart people, leaders who are honest, fair and transparent, competitive salary, with great work/life balance, and opportunities to engage and build relationships with your co-workers and local community!

Cons

Long term advancement opportunities may be limited due to company size, but environment and rapid company growth/work experiences make up for it in the short term.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on increasing technological enhancements for competitive advancement in market.

7. Collaborative company for a lot of career potential for those passionate about their job and the company

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

The company is still small enough to where if you have an idea, go for it, if you have ways to make something better or more efficient, go for it. It truly is a company based on collaboration and team work. The people that work here are driven and passionate about the company and that makes every day exciting.

Cons

It is still a new company and a growing company, every day processes changes and there are growing pains and it takes time for leadership to figure out how to make things work. While this is definitely a big con, it also makes for interesting and challenging days which never lets you be bored.

Advice to Management

More distinct career paths created would be good, it is a young company so some sort of path and goals to work toward would be great. Continue to promote within, lots of young talent who are loyal, promote within and give everyone the tools to develop. Continue to be transparent with the company standings and direction of the company. Continue to hire hardworking people.

Different from original culture

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Collective Bias

Pros

Still a strong player in the social media arena

Cons

Current management is not sales oriented. They also do not understand the importance of listening to ideas from employees of all levels. Often, employees receive promotions based on issues other than actual talent or merit. Certain managers take credit for work that they had nothing to do with.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to what employees are saying. Often, the best ideas come from lower level employees. This philosophy is prevalent with companies such as as Google, Microsoft, and IBM. Find ways to create incentives for employees to want to stay and be productive.

9. Great place to work!

I have been working at Collective Bias

Pros

Overall I've had a great experience working at CB. With any place to work there are challenges, but with a strong culture based on taking care of self and family, things seem to work out positively. The environment is innovative and exciting. The culture focuses on close relationships and mutual respect.

Cons

Pay could be increased to meet average industry averages.

Love the company. Hope to see positive changes as we grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Collective Bias full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Definitely the people we work with each day. They have remote jobs available so you can work from your home office. Medical benefits are good.

Cons

This is a small growing company. Sometimes it feels very disjointed with the new directions we take. The core values have changed. Remote employees can feel out of the loop. While the remote jobs are super important they do not get the salary or attention needed. For a company with community at it's core, there is not much attention on the community. It is hard to know when or if promotions and raises will come. The quiet hard workers often get over looked and under paid. If you are in certain departments working your way up may not be an option.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate salaries, benefits, and teamwork. Consider a proper salary scale and promotions based on time with the company and quality of work. As the company grows and workload changes so should the pay. Take care of remote employees, like you do the office employees.

Sales, Sales, Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I worked at Collective Bias full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct team members were great. Great working atmosphere. Pet friendly, ping pong, snacks and drinks all make going to work a little nicer. At times there were glimpses of innovation.

Cons

Technical employees are under compensated and under valued as assets. The current theme seems to be sell, sell, sell. A huge focus is put on the sales team and whatever they say goes (for the most part) which undermines some other initiatives in other departments. Overall, this is not a great place for a technical position.

Advice to Management

Focus more on developing and retaining technical talent.