Collective Reviews

3.3
Joe Apprendi

1. Really exciting work environment, team-oriented culture, smart people

I have been working at Collective

Pros

If you work hard and make an effort to go beyond your day to day responsibilities, it will be noticed. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and transition, and Collective is small enough that you can really see the impact of your suggestions or ideas. I have seen a lot of great people start their careers at Collective and become Managers and Directors, or transfer into other departments in the past couple of years. You don't really see that at some of the bigger companies.

Cons

Collective needs to do a better job at educating the entire employee population. We are in a very complex industry with a lot of moving parts and a lot of buzzwords, and we need to be educating people at all levels and of all career backgrounds so we can all work towards the same goal.

2. Fast-Paced, Dynamic Company

I have been working at Collective

Pros

- A lot of room to grow, HR team takes career advancement very seriously
    - Very transparent (executives and team leads do a great job of passing down information and corporate objectives)
    - The changes to Collective's product offerings are exciting and industry-leading, it's an interesting time to be part of Collective

Cons

- Collective is in the midst of some organization changes, but I believe it will pay out in the end
    - Lack of employee participation in company wide initiatives (more participation will foster a stronger corporate culture)

Continue to be as transparent with the employees in all offices as possible

Worse than office space

I worked at Collective full-time

Pros

The company has found a very specific niche (targeting TV viewers on digital) which it's focused on, and it has a so-so reputation in the space.

Cons

They've built out a bureaucracy and set of completely asinine processes which keep things more or less running and occupy the peons. Most people are cogs in the machine and there is practically no room for creativity or innovation (as much as they talk the talk about being innovators). You are expected to perform your rote tasks like an assembly line worker. Lots of title inflation - many directors and VP's spend most of their time doing junior level work and think more like assistant planners than department heads, which means more often than not projects are completely mismanaged. If you find yourself unsuited to being a people manager, are highly reactive, and don't like problem solving this is probably a good place for you (If that's you, the fact that there is no 360 review will also be a draw).

The culture in the NY HQ is one of an old and stuffy media environment; you won't find any of the fun perks or flexibility of younger companies (the most exciting thing they have is a monthly pizza lunch), forget about working from home, and the management is so cheap they won't let employees take Uber - not even Uber X - to client meetings.

People openly insult employees who have left, as well as competing companies. As other reviews state, the company is very cliquey, probably a coping mechanism- and those who don't fit in for whatever reason are bullied and ostracized. Rampant scapegoating. There are a few smart people keeping things running, but they are very few and far between. Most people here seem either miserable, or very fake, or for a few comfortable - but very few seem driven. The office environment makes the pointy-haired boss from Dilbert comic strips seem like a smart and reasonable guy.

please stay at collective forever (assuming it doesnt go out of business by next year), that will prevent you from ruining other companies with your toxic ways

Bad company, no vision, no leadership.

I worked at Collective

Pros

Great office. Great snacks. Great beverage selection. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Company is way out of date. Has no direction. No management. Executive team is simply collecting their checks.
    Company wasted hundred of millions of rent they cannot afford. they are hammering cash, cutting benefits.

Press the reset button. Figure out the direction of the company. Use your infrastructure and relationships and build on the new direction.

6. It's been an incredible ride!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Collective full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of room for career growth at Collective. I came in at an entry-level position and within the first year, I worked hard and got promoted! Not only have I gained an incredible amount of knowledge from my team, I am given many opportunities to work directly with upper-management. Everyone here is so approachable and laid back that it has been able to retain that "start up" feel. Our kitchen is stocked, we don't work insane hours, they treat us to pizza and cupcakes every month, we have an incredibly beautiful new space to work in...what could be bad? We are going through a lot of exciting changes right now and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Cons

I guess it's difficult to regulate the temperature in such a large space so it's always cold!

Probably a dying company, with some potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Collective full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of really great people. Generally laid-back. Decent selection of free snacks and drinks. Nice office.

Cons

There's a ton wrong with Collective. The company lacks a cohesive direction or niche. While everyone has always been aware of this, the leadership never had the guts to sacrifice some short-term revenue to properly concentrate its resources. I never actually knew how to describe the company: "we're sort of a buy-side ad-tech company, but not really. We're like an ad network, but we don't call ourselves that. etc...". In the last year, the high-level strategy changed three times; in that same time the leadership almost completely turned over. While I hope the new leadership will coincide well with the new direction, I'm not optimistic because these new executives have little understanding of the company/industry and are a clear step down.

There's been an insane amount of turnover across all teams throughout all this, with the company doing little to stop its strongest people from leaving. There are still some great people left, but it will be very hard to recover from some of the losses (especially in sales and tech). People very openly talk about looking for other jobs.

As far as atmosphere - there's a lot to be desired. The CEO (Joe) is largely disliked within the company. While he knows the industry tremendously well and is an amazing sales person, he fostered a fratty work atmosphere marked by quite a bit of unprofessional behavior. I often felt like his sales background, combined with his lack of understanding of much of the rest of the company, created a divided workplace with little interaction across some teams.

Pick a strategy, and stick with it. Be willing to shrink the company to achieve this, even if it requires painfully throwing out profitable products and services. For the smallish size of Collective, you guys should be at a point where you can describe what the company does in a short, simple sentence without any pointless buzzwords.

Be extremely proactive about keeping good people and recovering from some of the recent personnel losses.

Work on company culture, starting with professionalism. Try to increase respect across teams, especially in sales.

8. Good place to work depending on the Department you are in

Former Employee - Optimization Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Optimization Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Collective full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people and a work environment that allows you to learn a great deal about the industry

Cons

Pay is slightly below the industry standard for NYC.
    The Operations Dept. is not respected at all.
    A large amount of good talent has left the company and they rarely hire the best entry level talent.

Promote people to Manager who know how to manage people and, at bare minimum, have good people skills.
    Put more of a positive focus on the Operations Dept. The digital industry is constantly changing and that is the Dept. that will give you a real value proposition over your competition

9. Great work environment for the right type of people. Lots of positive change.

I have been working at Collective

Pros

Been here 2 years and seen a ton of positive change across the board. Hired great leadership in Product & Engineering and the company has started to part ways with consistently poor performers (who are likely the ones who wrote the negative reviews here). I've seen a bunch of folks transition onto other Team in new roles, you just have to have the drive to do so- you can't expect things to just fall in your lap. Also exciting to see product & Engineering as a focus of growth.

Cons

There is constant change. Although that change is positive change, and a result of "how do we get better", for the wrong type of person it can be frustrating. If you have any entrepreneurial bones in your body, it's pretty exciting.

More thorough training for new managers. Make sure they have the tools they need to be successful.

Bad Business Practices, Lack of smart strategy

I worked at Collective

Pros

The team I was on had great people.

Cons

Despite having an amazingly strong team, upper management listened to our completely ineffective, remote, team manager and fired the best people we had. They know nothing of best practices in advertising and tune out those with the smartest advice. Bad pay, worse insurance.

LISTEN to people who know what they are doing rather than someone who comes into the office twice a year. Pay your people market value and stop telling them that your pay is on point with what the industry pays.

11. Great place earn your ad-tech stripes

I worked at Collective full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome team with supportive people who put a lot of love into their jobs. Great work-life balance, I was able to take time off when I needed without much hassle. A few of my team members went on maternity leave and came back with a options to work remotely if they needed to. There were a lot of opportunities to show leadership and grow within the company.

Cons

Sales strategy was weak. Lots of challenges in the ad-tech industry as a whole that leadership didn't seem to know how to tackle. Lots of products and little differentiation in the marketplace.

Improve global communication. Leadership presence sorely missed in satellite offices.