College Internship Program

College Internship Program President Dan McManmon
Dan McManmon
1 Rating

1. A fantastic, supportive, and thriving place to work

I have been working at College Internship Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff at the National Office is supportive and encouraging. They are always available when you call and willing to answer questions no matter how big or small with enthusiasm, efficiency, and care. Each center has its own unique personality, yet the organization as a whole has a unique culture as well that serves as an umbrella for each individual center to exercise its unique approach to the program. As an employee, I feel valued and like I have autonomy with support.

Cons

The organization is going through a period of transition with its program format as well as its staff. It seems that the transition is going very well and it will only continue to improve. There is some level of disorganization, but the longer I work here, it seems that is due mainly to the fact that things are shifting and they are "getting their house in order."

Advice to Management

Continue the good work in the positive direction we are currently moving.

2. Many positive changes

I have been working at College Internship Program full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As other people have stated, working with this student population is amazing. Coworkers are fantastic. Company has made many positive changes lately.

Cons

Some inexperienced staff members along the way, but I applaud CIP's efforts.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. professionals here are seriously underpaid

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at College Internship Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact that I'm employed is a pro because it helps me pay my bills.

Cons

It is difficult to give an accurate picture of this organization when you express what's actually going on at CIP...only to find that the national office monitors this site and then posts an obvious review of their own immediately afterwards. As others have said, the pay is low, curriculum is not good, and we are not trained in how to work with students on the spectrum. Professionals at this company are paid a good 20 to 30% less than market value.

Communication from the national office suffers because the centers are spread out all over the country...so you miss the personal connection with staff members there. So, you occasionally get an email from someone that is rude or impersonal because they know they don't have to see you face to face.

Advice to Management

pay your staff what they are worth. People with masters degrees should not be earning less than $20 per hour, especially in California.

Senior management is inept. Training is non existent

I worked at College Internship Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can think of no good reasons to work at CIP. Pay is lousy. Curriculum is old and boring. Management has no clue how to run a business.

Cons

Everything about CIP is wrong.

Advice to Management

Support the staff working at your centers. They ate the people delivering your service. There is a huge disconnect between the national office and staff. Morale will never improve until you fix the problems at the top.

Improving everyday

I have been working at College Internship Program full-time

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard and grow with the company, seeing the students grow is rewarding, benefits are good for full time employees

Cons

Many of the cons have been improved over the past year, job specific training is still lacking for many roles

Advice to Management

continue with positive changes that have recently been made especially listening to staff and what it's like to really work with the students and families.

7. Better Now

I have been working at College Internship Program part-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the change in leadership, CIP is starting to change though it will be a while for anything concrete changes.

Cons

The company is still a tightwad when it comes to benefits.

Advice to Management

Extend benefits to more employees

8. CIP is making solid changes that will impact the program in a positive way

I have been working at College Internship Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Founder Michael McManmon has recently passed the leadership torch of the College Internship Program to his son Dan McManmon, and in the few months Dan has been in charge he has demonstrated he is approachable, fair, committed to excellence, and responsive to staff and student concerns. I think the future of this program is brighter than ever. CIP also did some restructuring at the National level--the departure of the Executive Director (who micromanaged employees and focused on the wrong issues) is a step in the right direction for this company.

Cons

I think the biggest drawback to working at CIP right now is the employees who don't know how to deal with change. CIP is raising the bar and is committed to providing the best possible program for the students--unfortunately, some employees are still stuck in the past and have difficulty "stepping up their game" and meeting the new expectations of excellence. My advice to those employees is if you can't get behind the management and leadership teams (at both the local and National levels), then do the students (and your colleagues) a favor and go find someplace else to work.

Advice to Management

Providing more autonomy at the local levels for all of the CIP centers is a wonderful thing. These changes will only strengthen every CIP center across the country.

A rewarding place to work, but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at College Internship Program part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CIP is a wonderful place to work. I found the training great and the support from the management in my department great. The students are great and my fellow employees are a joy to work with.

Cons

As others have pointed out, the national office likes to meddle and give directives that can't be met within the students very packed schedules, which makes the job more difficult than it should be.

The company likes to keep most everyone part time so they don't have to pay benefits which leads to high staff turnover. Just when you get used to working with someone, out the door they go.

Advice to Management

Keep your talented employees by offering benefits. Students pay $70,000 a year to come here, surely you can afford benefits for your hard working staff?

training is weak, limited resources, micromanagement at every turn

I worked at College Internship Program part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to work with some great students.

Cons

Micromanagement from national office is high, the pay is low, and they keep most of their employees in part time time status. This is so they don't have to pay out benefits. As a result, staff turnover is high. Also, they don't give their employees the resources they need to do their jobs, but then tries to micromanage the work their employees do (without giving them support). The training is virtually non-existent, with employees being thrown into the fire and having to figure it out as you go. Students are overwhelmed because they pack all of these modules (classes) into the student's day. These schedules would be overwhelming for a student WITHOUT learning disabilities; imagine what it's like for a student with autism to not feel stressed out or on sensory overload on a regular basis. This program definitely adheres to the "quantity over quality" way of thinking.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, develop a comprehensive training program, and give your centers the resources they need to do their jobs. Increase pay--how can you expect to get and retain quality employees if you offer no benefits AND low pay? There is a reason good employees keep leaving. Stop ignoring what's going on, take your focus off of your bottom line, and stop asking for your employees' input if you aren't going to listen anyway!

11. A great program

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lee, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lee, MA

I have been working at College Internship Program

Pros

This is a growing company with a history of success with students since the early 80's. The founder is actively involved in the vision and direction of the program, and makes regular visits to the centers. If you are motivated to make a difference, this is a great place to be and you are heard. If you are not, you will not last. I've been with CIP for the past 6 years and would not give it up for anything.

Cons

As with any human services field, it is difficult to maintain a separation between your own life and the lives of the students you work with.

Advice to Management

Thanks for continually hearing me and for the opportunity to work with such a great team of professionals and students.

RSS Feed </> Embed