College Nannies and Tutors

Updated April 11, 2015
70 reviews filtered by
3.6
Joe Keeley

Pros
  • If you love working with kids, this job is great (in 3 reviews)

• Flexiblle schedule as an on-call Nanny (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • At times you may receive last minute requests (in 5 reviews)

• Very little training and support from management (in 2 reviews)

1. Nanny

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work the jobs you want, when you want

Cons

Margins of salary v. what they charge families

2. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Nanny in New York, NY

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are responsible for your own schedule, Get to network with some great families that request you time and time again.

Cons

0 benefits! Not much communication between you and management, no performance reviews or promotions

3. Work at different families houses

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors

Pros

Never in the same place or have to be.

Cons

The pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Better on the tech side

5. Wonderful experiences thus far. I just started with this company. They keep you busy with many assignmebts.

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors

Pros

Great opportunities to meet new families all over the city.

Cons

Wish they had more full-time assignments for Nannies who want one family.

Advice to Management

Offer more chances to do get togethers with other Nannies who live locally instead of once a year.

6. Good students, good former manager; low pay, not much work

Current Employee - Tutor in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Tutor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started, my manager was very helpful and contacted me whenever there were possible students. I worked with a few students periodically and it was some nice side money. There isn't much training, but the manager assured me that they could get any resources/materials I may need. Their system is easy to use to enter the hours you worked.

Cons

A few months ago, my manager left and now I'm not sure if I'm even still employed with the company. I haven't received any calls about possible students and there hasn't been any communication. When I did have students, sometimes it is difficult to get to their homes if they aren't metro accessible and they don't reimburse you for travel time or cost. Compared to other tutoring companies in the area, the pay is pretty low, but I accepted because I really liked the atmosphere. Will probably be moving on very soon.

Advice to Management

Better communication when there are changes!

7. Per Diem Tutor

Former Employee - Tutor in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Tutor in Wayzata, MN

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short hours with higher wage per hour, flexible scheduling, friendly atmosphere, adhered to a code of ethics, good marketing resources to build clientele.

Cons

Short notice for cancellations, no show appointments were frequent, director left with no notice and it was not clearly communicated to Per Diem staff- effected scheduling and correct student with tutor placement.

Advice to Management

Need for better after hour management protocols, frequently there was a need for a tutor to reach management or a family and they had no resource available to do so.

8. On call nanny

Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job for college student, they flexible with your hours.

Cons

If you don't response to there email and phone calls they hardly ever call to schedule you, they schedule you on jobs at 12am or 5am in the morning and you don't respond in an hour it's given to someone else

Advice to Management

Raise pay, try to schedule us at a timely fashion. Give more hours and benefits

9. Good concept, horribly executed

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At first, one would feel as if they are doing something good, by helping families secure childcare and tutoring--but this is not the case. They give you a cell phone, but only because you are required to respond to families 24/7.

Cons

It is hard to work for and believe in a company that basically rips off their clients. They claim to "build stronger families" but they really just "build stronger rich families". The only people who don't think it's a ripoff are the owners, rich parents who don't care, and clients who don't know. The company is only concerned about making huge profits by charging families double and triple what they are paying their nannies and tutors. Managers are so overworked, underpaid, and stressed out from having to meet sales goals. If a family suggests that the cost is a little too high, managers are told to either push them and make them feel bad until they give in, or be rude to them and move on. Owners only support managers who make them the most money, regardless of how hard you work. I've seen managers show prejudice towards families they automatically assume cannot afford the services. Their hiring practices for nannies and tutors also boarder on unethical. They are a staffing company, yet there is zero HR training or education. In addition, they offer bare minimum benefits (if any, and only to FT employees), little to no home/work life balance, and little to no advancement opportunities. After many years with this company, I realized I could no longer be apart of it. If you have any morals at all, you will stay far away from this company.

Advice to Management

This should be advice to corporate and owners: STOP BEING SO GREEDY!

10. Great place to work, and you gain very valuable experience!

Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Austin, TX

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pros about working here- You can create your very own, flexible schedule. They work with you on what YOU can do and how many hours/week you can manage. You get hands-on practical experience with children and families, which is always fun! The staff is always very nice, pleasant, friendly, and understanding.

Cons

When you create your scheduler online for your availability, make sure to stick with it! If you made personal plans while the scheduler says you are available and you get staffed for a job, you have to quit those plans.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance is great. This is more of a FUN job, so it never really felt like work when I was going to nanny. The business is facilitated in a very professional, easygoing manner. The staff is also very supportive of any concerns that may arise while working.

11. On call nanny

Former Employee - On Call Nanny in Tristates, NY
    Former Employee - On Call Nanny in Tristates, NY

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good management, descent starting wages.

Cons

not consistent hours, no annual raise