College Nannies and Tutors

Updated March 11, 2015
65 reviews filtered by
3.4
Joe Keeley

Pros
  • If you love working with kids, this job is great (in 3 reviews)

• Flexiblle schedule as an on-call Nanny (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • At times you may receive last minute requests (in 5 reviews)

• Very little training and support from management (in 2 reviews)

1. Per Diem Tutor

Former Employee - Tutor in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Tutor in Wayzata, MN

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Short hours with higher wage per hour, flexible scheduling, friendly atmosphere, adhered to a code of ethics, good marketing resources to build clientele.

Cons

Short notice for cancellations, no show appointments were frequent, director left with no notice and it was not clearly communicated to Per Diem staff- effected scheduling and correct student with tutor placement.

Need for better after hour management protocols, frequently there was a need for a tutor to reach management or a family and they had no resource available to do so.

2. On call nanny

Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great job for college student, they flexible with your hours.

Cons

If you don't response to there email and phone calls they hardly ever call to schedule you, they schedule you on jobs at 12am or 5am in the morning and you don't respond in an hour it's given to someone else

Raise pay, try to schedule us at a timely fashion. Give more hours and benefits

3. Good concept, horribly executed

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At first, one would feel as if they are doing something good, by helping families secure childcare and tutoring--but this is not the case. They give you a cell phone, but only because you are required to respond to families 24/7.

Cons

It is hard to work for and believe in a company that basically rips off their clients. They claim to "build stronger families" but they really just "build stronger rich families". The only people who don't think it's a ripoff are the owners, rich parents who don't care, and clients who don't know. The company is only concerned about making huge profits by charging families double and triple what they are paying their nannies and tutors. Managers are so overworked, underpaid, and stressed out from having to meet sales goals. If a family suggests that the cost is a little too high, managers are told to either push them and make them feel bad until they give in, or be rude to them and move on. Owners only support managers who make them the most money, regardless of how hard you work. I've seen managers show prejudice towards families they automatically assume cannot afford the services. Their hiring practices for nannies and tutors also boarder on unethical. They are a staffing company, yet there is zero HR training or education. In addition, they offer bare minimum benefits (if any, and only to FT employees), little to no home/work life balance, and little to no advancement opportunities. After many years with this company, I realized I could no longer be apart of it. If you have any morals at all, you will stay far away from this company.

This should be advice to corporate and owners: STOP BEING SO GREEDY!

5. Great place to work, and you gain very valuable experience!

Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Austin, TX

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pros about working here- You can create your very own, flexible schedule. They work with you on what YOU can do and how many hours/week you can manage. You get hands-on practical experience with children and families, which is always fun! The staff is always very nice, pleasant, friendly, and understanding.

Cons

When you create your scheduler online for your availability, make sure to stick with it! If you made personal plans while the scheduler says you are available and you get staffed for a job, you have to quit those plans.

Work-life balance is great. This is more of a FUN job, so it never really felt like work when I was going to nanny. The business is facilitated in a very professional, easygoing manner. The staff is also very supportive of any concerns that may arise while working.

6. On call nanny

Former Employee - On Call Nanny in Tristates, NY
    Former Employee - On Call Nanny in Tristates, NY

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good management, descent starting wages.

Cons

not consistent hours, no annual raise

7. Couldn't wait to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that is pays. But not even a lot.

Cons

Everything. No benefit. No paid time off. No development. No real training. No constructive criticism just criticism all the time.

The very positive reviews are written by owners and managers. Never worked with such an inconsiderate person in my life.

8. I have had a great experience working for CNT, they are a growing and thriving company.

Current Employee - Nanny in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Nanny in Edina, MN

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Numerous opportunities which work around my class schedule. It is always easy and convenient to get nannying jobs when I am home on break or weekends.

Cons

Competitive when replying to on-call requests due to the large amount of nannies in this service.

9. I hated it

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors

Pros

I don't have any that are positive.

Cons

They will fire you over the smallest mistakes and not give you the feedback that families give them so you can fix it.

Be more lenient.

10. Back up Care - On Call - Great but Difficult at the same time

Former Employee - Oncall Nanny in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Oncall Nanny in Seattle, WA

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling (Some Cons go w/ it)
    Manager in the main office staff was nice, friendly and understanding. Worked with me to make sure it was a great fit.
    The families are very thankful and wonderful. They seem to take interest in you.

Cons

You had to provide one month of availability at a time, if something came up or was different from that calendar it seemed like you had to prove that you really couldn't work.
    The person who staffed you for cases lives out of state and in another time-zone.
    Didn't pay for mileage or offer reinburstment- had to drive to different places daily sometimes over 30 miles from main office.
    No benefits. No Sick time.
    They tell you that there is a mildly ill policy - I had a child with a fever and diarrhea and was told that still counts as mildly ill.

I understand that the position is on-call, but it should be staffed with someone local who understands the area. It's confusing to have a hiring manager (for HR issues and local issues) and a Staffing manager (who gives me work) - should be all in the same. I understand you can staff 24/7 for cases but I shouldn't have to be in consent fear that I don't respond to an email or text from a manager - I get calls/emails/text as late as 1030pm (sometimes later) and as earlier as 6am. There is no work-life balance, your are expected to respond to all emails and texts even when you say you can't work. I know this is a franchise so it may not be the same everywhere.

I think that the Main Company should play more of a role in the franchises - a friend in another state had this same job and wasn't living in fear about not taking work.

Good pay and hours; Rude management

Former Employee - Nanny in Bethesda, MD

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay is pretty good and you can get a decent amount of hours as long as you're available. Good job if you're in school. The system is easy to use to enter your hours and always paid on time. Getting to meet different families and kids is cool.

Cons

Management is very rude and talks to you like you're a little kid or stupid. Required meetings on the weekends. Sometimes you have to drive really far for jobs and don't get paid for gas.

Should learn how to speak to all people with respect or you will lose a lot of good nannies.