College Pro Painters

College Pro Painters Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle

Tony Valle

Pros:
  • "You get to work outside in the summer"
    in 10 reviews
  • "work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some people make money, but most make way less than minimum wage"
    in 5 reviews
  • "lots of hard work and not a lot of reward unless you really kill 100K"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hit or Miss

Franchise Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at College Pro Painters as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat if you want to be an entrepreneur but need a push in the right direction. They do provide resources to help you and charge a premium for those resources. It can be a great opportunity if you want to work really hard and start your own business and gain some management experience.

ConsThe company employs mostly very young people and is very male dominated. There are certainly sexism issues within this culture. They also charge very lofty royalties on top of charging premiums for branded supplies.

Summer Painting

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Plymouth, MI

Never Got The Last Pay Check

Review

Franchisee (Current Employee)

I have been working at College Pro Painters full-time

ProsReally great experience for college students looking to learn skills of business ownership

ConsSometimes communication can lack between field managers and franchisees. Very time consuming.

Almost a scam

Site Crew Manager (Former Employee)
Bridgeport, CT

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for less than a year

ProsWorked outside with a great team. Painting is a good life skill to have.

ConsAlmost like a pyramid scheme. GM's owe money to corporate for start up materials/fees so they can't pay the crews much. GM's are pushed to make quick money so they turn around and push the grunts even harder. Grunts do all the work but get none of the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take such a large percentage off the top. Makes the grunts feel like they do all the work and make none of the money. Actually listen to the crew managers. They are the ones on the ground.

Scam

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at College Pro Painters

ProsWorking outside. Overtime pay is decent and not a bad job if your GM is good

ConsPyramid scheme. Corporate takes a large percentage from the GM's so they take a large percentage from the crews.

It was a job, but not a great one

Painter (Former Employee)

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for less than a year

ProsI got paid and there was no shortage of hours. The interview process went very smoothly and my boss was a nice enough person as long as we worked fast.

ConsEverything was very rushed, to the point where quality suffered. The inexperience of my boss (another college student) led to the team running out of paint and other material due to estimation issues. When we were not working fast enough my boss would get visibly upset and was very vocal about it. He would put down my coworkers behind their back.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic when pricing out houses.

Managers tend to be profit driven with little regard for the quality of work.

Job Site Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt will show you the value of hard work, consistency, dedication, and outcome. It was very enjoyable to have homeowners, genuinely, thank you for the work performed. I worked with CPP for 3 summers and the end of the day gratitude from homeowners is what made the job worth it.

Consfranchise mangers tend to be loosely trained and often missed key aspects of being a manager, what it actually meant. As was said, before, profit over quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the franchise managers to perform a full and complete job. These are other peoples homes and sub par work isn't acceptable.

Great real world experience. Great Company

Franchise Owner (Former Employee)

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for more than a year

ProsCollege Pro offers a one of a kind real world experience that is hands on. I learned more about myself and small business ownership than I would have ever thought I could. It's a well rounded company with excellent training and great culture. They are heading in the right direction. You can make a ton of money if you work for it.

ConsYou may work over 100 hours a week at times. You get what you put into it and even then, there is no guarantee of being profitable.

Terrible

I have been working at College Pro Painters

ProsGet to work outdoors all day, good tips

ConsPay was always weeks late. Extremely unsafe environment to work in. All that mattered was finishing the job in an unrealistic amount of time with worker with no experience.

Does not allow a balanced life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at College Pro Painters

ProsThere was definitely an ability to make money, and you had the freedom to call the shots and implement your way of doing things.

ConsNot much relevant assistance, lots of costs that are not told to you, lots of added fees, supervisors and mentors are not very helpful/intelligent as a whole.

Worked for College Pro Painters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at College Pro Painters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle . All 90 reviews posted anonymously by College Pro Painters employees.