College Pro Painters

Updated August 3, 2014

2.4

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle
Tony Valle

Pros
  • Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with (in 12 reviews)

• work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • For the pay, this is a high-risk job in comparison to other minimum wage jobs (in 6 reviews)

• The training is basically based on booking work for the company, there is very little training on how to paint or keep the workers safe (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for early college work

Pros

Give you lots of hours, opportunity for overtime, decent pay for hard work.

Cons

Painting job not always of professional quality. Required to knock on doors in neighborhood to advertise business.

Great summer job if you plan on not doing much over the summer.

Former Employee - Painter  in  Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Painter in Greeley, CO

Pros

Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with.

Cons

No raise whatsoever and their prep/painting practices are rather sketchy.

Good for someone who lives in an old suburban area with a lot of exterior painted homes; otherwise don't bother.

Former Employee - Franchise Owner
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner

Pros

Gives you free rein to tackle challenges on your own and make yourself unique. No minimum sales level or experience necessary. There are great general managers who are willing to help and give advice whenever you need it. They push you to be the best you can and are always willing to help when they can.

Cons

Different type of work experience that is mostly hands on based so the initial hands-on training; with 20-25 new franchisees, it's an atypical experience to what is really like during production. Not compensated for any training related expenses such as gas, food or hotels as they are put on credit to your account and paid off as you produce work. A lot of up-front work is needed. 3-4 months part-time initially followed by 1+ months full time from hire to production start before you see any money coming your way. You'll have around $4500-$5000 to pay off in supplies and expenses before you start making a profit. (More if you don't already have a vehicle that can transport ladders and painting equipment.)

Be more upfront about the amount of work (hrs and money) involved before any profit is made by the franchisee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painters are underpaid and lied to.

Current Employee - Painter
    Current Employee - Painter

Pros

I got to work with other college students.

Cons

I have not gotten raises, tips, or 40 hours a week as I was told when I applied.

Lucrative in theory, modest payoff in practice

Current Employee - Painter  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Painter in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Flexible work hours and autonomy in the workplace because of the informal nature of college students working for college students

Cons

Lack of experience was frustrating and unprofessional at times.

Better training and/or applicant screening so that only qualified and responsible employees are hired.

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Franchise Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great if you want to be an entrepreneur but need a push in the right direction. They do provide resources to help you and charge a premium for those resources. It can be a great opportunity if you want to work really hard and start your own business and gain some management experience.

Cons

The company employs mostly very young people and is very male dominated. There are certainly sexism issues within this culture. They also charge very lofty royalties on top of charging premiums for branded supplies.

bad management

Former Employee - Painter  in  Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Painter in Glen Ellyn, IL

Pros

Let you work in teams

Cons

No follow-up from management. no perks for getting projects done in a timely matter.

train your manager better

Beware of Being Used

Pros

You do have the potential to earn a decent amount of money as well as meet new people.

Cons

I was hired by someone higher up than my manager. Once I was hired, I found out later that my manager wanted to fire me if he could find a replacement. He assumed I would be the weakest leak due to my size even though I am average sized for a female and have had experience painting outdoors. Apparently, he was not going to notify me and only did so when I needed proof of employment for my apartment. I was still only notified a week before the first actual painting job and have not been paid for the bit of marketing I did prior even though I was promised I would be. Don't believe the "no experience needed" promotion they use.

Summer Painting

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Plymouth, MI

Pros

Work with Friends
    Work Outdoors

Cons

Poor Ethics demonstrated by Upper management
    Not Well Organized
    Never Got The Last Pay Check

Review

Current Employee - Franchisee
    Current Employee - Franchisee

Pros

Really great experience for college students looking to learn skills of business ownership

Cons

Sometimes communication can lack between field managers and franchisees. Very time consuming.

Worked for College Pro Painters? Contribute to the Community!