College Pro Painters

College Pro Painters Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle

Tony Valle

Pros
  • Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with (in 12 reviews)

• work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • For the pay, this is a high-risk job in comparison to other minimum wage jobs (in 6 reviews)

• The training is basically based on booking work for the company, there is very little training on how to paint or keep the workers safe (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great summer job if you plan on not doing much over the summer.

Painter (Former Employee) Greeley, CO

ProsWork outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with.

ConsNo raise whatsoever and their prep/painting practices are rather sketchy.

Good for someone who lives in an old suburban area with a lot of exterior painted homes; otherwise don't bother.

Franchise Owner (Former Employee)

ProsGives you free rein to tackle challenges on your own and make yourself unique. No minimum sales level or experience necessary. There are great general managers who are willing to help and give advice whenever you need it. They push you to be the best you can and are always willing to help when they can.

ConsDifferent type of work experience that is mostly hands on based so the initial hands-on training; with 20-25 new franchisees, it's an atypical experience to what is really like during production. Not compensated for any training related expenses such as gas, food or hotels as they are put on credit to your account and paid off as you produce work. A lot of up-front work is needed. 3-4 months part-time initially followed by 1+ months full time from hire to production start before you see any money coming your way. You'll have around $4500-$5000 to pay off in supplies and expenses before you start making a profit. (More if you don't already have a vehicle that can transport ladders and painting equipment.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront about the amount of work (hrs and money) involved before any profit is made by the franchisee.

Painters are underpaid and lied to.

Painter (Current Employee)

ProsI got to work with other college students.

ConsI have not gotten raises, tips, or 40 hours a week as I was told when I applied.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lucrative in theory, modest payoff in practice

Painter (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsFlexible work hours and autonomy in the workplace because of the informal nature of college students working for college students

ConsLack of experience was frustrating and unprofessional at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and/or applicant screening so that only qualified and responsible employees are hired.

Hit or Miss

Franchise Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat if you want to be an entrepreneur but need a push in the right direction. They do provide resources to help you and charge a premium for those resources. It can be a great opportunity if you want to work really hard and start your own business and gain some management experience.

ConsThe company employs mostly very young people and is very male dominated. There are certainly sexism issues within this culture. They also charge very lofty royalties on top of charging premiums for branded supplies.

bad management

Painter (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsLet you work in teams

ConsNo follow-up from management. no perks for getting projects done in a timely matter.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your manager better

Beware of Being Used

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou do have the potential to earn a decent amount of money as well as meet new people.

ConsI was hired by someone higher up than my manager. Once I was hired, I found out later that my manager wanted to fire me if he could find a replacement. He assumed I would be the weakest leak due to my size even though I am average sized for a female and have had experience painting outdoors. Apparently, he was not going to notify me and only did so when I needed proof of employment for my apartment. I was still only notified a week before the first actual painting job and have not been paid for the bit of marketing I did prior even though I was promised I would be. Don't believe the "no experience needed" promotion they use.

Summer Painting

Not Well Organized
    Never Got The Last Pay Check

Review

Franchisee (Current Employee)

ProsReally great experience for college students looking to learn skills of business ownership

ConsSometimes communication can lack between field managers and franchisees. Very time consuming.

Almost a scam

Site Crew Manager (Former Employee) Bridgeport, CT

ProsWorked outside with a great team. Painting is a good life skill to have.

ConsAlmost like a pyramid scheme. GM's owe money to corporate for start up materials/fees so they can't pay the crews much. GM's are pushed to make quick money so they turn around and push the grunts even harder. Grunts do all the work but get none of the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take such a large percentage off the top. Makes the grunts feel like they do all the work and make none of the money. Actually listen to the crew managers. They are the ones on the ground.

Worked for College Pro Painters? Contribute to the Community!