College Pro Painters

Updated January 6, 2015
2.4

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle
Tony Valle

Pros
  • Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with (in 14 reviews)

• work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • For the pay, this is a high-risk job in comparison to other minimum wage jobs (in 8 reviews)

• Long Hours, absoloute no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Made me the entrepreneur I am today

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

- Learn ton about about Management, Sales and Marketing
    - Work with youthful entrepreneurs "like-minded" individuals
    - Thorough training
    - Fun awards and trip destinations

Cons

- $$$ With royalties and start-up costs it was tough to make a lot money in my first two years of business

Sucked

Current Employee - Zee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Zee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at College Pro Painters

Pros

The people were nice
    The experience was good
    The culture was spectacular
    The training was great and I do feel prepared to work in the field

Cons

The money they charge you without your knowledge and the way they make you run a franchise is basically theft. I left with a sour taste in my mouth, like many fellow franchisees

You need to be truthful.

Painter

Former Employee - Painter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Painter in Boston, MA

I worked at College Pro Painters as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with friends. Reasonable summer job for a college student.

Cons

"Managers" are college students who pay for right to operate College Pro franchise. It is very difficult for them to recoup their costs. Some exceptional managers are able to do quite well, and College Pro highly publicizes these rare success stories. Most managers, however, end up breaking even or losing money for the summer. The organization is structured like a pyramid scheme, preying on the naive optimism of the college-age "managers" it recruits, the willingness of untrained, college-age "painters" to work for minimum wage, and the generosity/naivety of anyone who would hire a team of woefully inept college students to paint their house.

Not worth it

I worked at College Pro Painters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get paid, eventually. Things can run smoothly with the right manager

Cons

completely unorganized. Need better leadership.

Be more fair to employees, give more guidance

Go into it expecting to make no money but learn a lot

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Jackson, MI

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get invaluable business experience on how to run a business and how to deal with trying times. Management motivate you to do well and there are incentives when you do well.

Cons

It has to be for the right individual and be ready to do some painting if you dnt meet "targets".

They should restrict sales to certain markets as some markets because some markets are more profitable than others

Job Site Manager. Decent leadership experience, but overall it really depends on who the business owner is.

Former Employee - Job Site Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Job Site Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at College Pro Painters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, can be paid more than base depending on if jobs are done ahead of budget.

Cons

Let's face it, we're a bunch of college kids painting houses. The quality of the work isn't great. The management isn't great either, but that is more situational. What ends up happening is the houses are never done on time, job site managers and painters are paid minimum wage, and the homeowner is left wondering why they hired College Pro in the first place.

Great learning experience

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For the most part I really enjoyed the work. It was nice working outside and doing something physical. You work closely with people and develop a great bond. I learned some really applicable skills in the summer that I worked there.

Cons

The problem with giving college kids the reigns of a business like this is that there's the real possibility that they'll have absolutely no clue what they're doing. My boss was terrible, had no experience on a paint crew, and ignored the advice of his employees that had years of experience because he was The Boss.

Take more time to monitor how the paint crews are doing. I never met someone above the person who ran my paint crew even once. Having someone coming in and double checking how things are going with the employees would go a long way.

Find A Different Job

Former Employee - Franchise Owner
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time

Pros

Hands on experience. Own your own business. Can be inspiring.

Cons

The upfront costs are high and they add up quick. Required to travel to conventions and have to pay for gas and hotel, pay painters, pay for paint.... all the costs come out of your own pocket (or similarly go on credit) if the revenues aren't consistent during that time period. Also, weekly you don't get paid; you don't take draws periodically. Everything you have goes towards the business which is great but very unrealistic to live off of. Lived with my parents and they supported me through this endeavor. I had money from my previous job that didn't sustain me through this experience. Literally borrowed money from my parents and girlfriend to pay for gas to get to the sites where I was painting. Halfway through the summer they urged me to resign for next year. Looking back, this could have been their way of another revenue stream because since I signed on for next summer I have to pay 1500 if I break this contract and find another job. I'm in debt like crazy already from this business and I'm to the point where I am just trying to break even.

I think the business model has a lot of problems and the franchisee owners are working their butts off to barely make ends meet. I will not recommend this company.

Good job for early college work

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

Give you lots of hours, opportunity for overtime, decent pay for hard work.

Cons

Painting job not always of professional quality. Required to knock on doors in neighborhood to advertise business.

Great summer job if you plan on not doing much over the summer.

Former Employee - Painter in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Painter in Greeley, CO

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with.

Cons

No raise whatsoever and their prep/painting practices are rather sketchy.

College Pro Painters Photos