College Pro Painters

Updated October 27, 2014
2.3

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle
Tony Valle

Pros
  • Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with (in 14 reviews)

• work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • For the pay, this is a high-risk job in comparison to other minimum wage jobs (in 7 reviews)

• Long Hours, absoloute no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

bad management

Former Employee - Painter in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Painter in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Let you work in teams

Cons

No follow-up from management. no perks for getting projects done in a timely matter.

train your manager better

Summer Painting

Former Employee - Crew Member in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Plymouth, MI

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with Friends
    Work Outdoors

Cons

Poor Ethics demonstrated by Upper management
    Not Well Organized
    Never Got The Last Pay Check

Beware of Being Used

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

You do have the potential to earn a decent amount of money as well as meet new people.

Cons

I was hired by someone higher up than my manager. Once I was hired, I found out later that my manager wanted to fire me if he could find a replacement. He assumed I would be the weakest leak due to my size even though I am average sized for a female and have had experience painting outdoors. Apparently, he was not going to notify me and only did so when I needed proof of employment for my apartment. I was still only notified a week before the first actual painting job and have not been paid for the bit of marketing I did prior even though I was promised I would be. Don't believe the "no experience needed" promotion they use.

Almost a scam

Former Employee - Site Crew Manager in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Site Crew Manager in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked outside with a great team. Painting is a good life skill to have.

Cons

Almost like a pyramid scheme. GM's owe money to corporate for start up materials/fees so they can't pay the crews much. GM's are pushed to make quick money so they turn around and push the grunts even harder. Grunts do all the work but get none of the money.

Don't take such a large percentage off the top. Makes the grunts feel like they do all the work and make none of the money. Actually listen to the crew managers. They are the ones on the ground.

Scam

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

Working outside. Overtime pay is decent and not a bad job if your GM is good

Cons

Pyramid scheme. Corporate takes a large percentage from the GM's so they take a large percentage from the crews.

Review

Current Employee - Franchisee
    Current Employee - Franchisee

I have been working at College Pro Painters full-time

Pros

Really great experience for college students looking to learn skills of business ownership

Cons

Sometimes communication can lack between field managers and franchisees. Very time consuming.

Managers tend to be profit driven with little regard for the quality of work.

Former Employee - Job Site Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Job Site Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It will show you the value of hard work, consistency, dedication, and outcome. It was very enjoyable to have homeowners, genuinely, thank you for the work performed. I worked with CPP for 3 summers and the end of the day gratitude from homeowners is what made the job worth it.

Cons

franchise mangers tend to be loosely trained and often missed key aspects of being a manager, what it actually meant. As was said, before, profit over quality.

Train the franchise managers to perform a full and complete job. These are other peoples homes and sub par work isn't acceptable.

Great real world experience. Great Company

Former Employee - Franchise Owner
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

College Pro offers a one of a kind real world experience that is hands on. I learned more about myself and small business ownership than I would have ever thought I could. It's a well rounded company with excellent training and great culture. They are heading in the right direction. You can make a ton of money if you work for it.

Cons

You may work over 100 hours a week at times. You get what you put into it and even then, there is no guarantee of being profitable.

Terrible

I have been working at College Pro Painters

Pros

Get to work outdoors all day, good tips

Cons

Pay was always weeks late. Extremely unsafe environment to work in. All that mattered was finishing the job in an unrealistic amount of time with worker with no experience.

It was a job, but not a great one

Former Employee - Painter
    Former Employee - Painter

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got paid and there was no shortage of hours. The interview process went very smoothly and my boss was a nice enough person as long as we worked fast.

Cons

Everything was very rushed, to the point where quality suffered. The inexperience of my boss (another college student) led to the team running out of paint and other material due to estimation issues. When we were not working fast enough my boss would get visibly upset and was very vocal about it. He would put down my coworkers behind their back.

Be more realistic when pricing out houses.

College Pro Painters Photos