College Pro Painters

Updated September 22, 2014
2.4

College Pro Painters CEO Tony Valle
Tony Valle

Pros
  • Work outside with crew members in which you grow a bond with (in 13 reviews)

• work with friends, besides that I would not recommend the job to anybody unless you know the manager and know that they will run the business well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • For the pay, this is a high-risk job in comparison to other minimum wage jobs (in 6 reviews)

• Long Hours, absoloute no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Scam

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

Working outside. Overtime pay is decent and not a bad job if your GM is good

Cons

Pyramid scheme. Corporate takes a large percentage from the GM's so they take a large percentage from the crews.

It was a job, but not a great one

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got paid and there was no shortage of hours. The interview process went very smoothly and my boss was a nice enough person as long as we worked fast.

Cons

Everything was very rushed, to the point where quality suffered. The inexperience of my boss (another college student) led to the team running out of paint and other material due to estimation issues. When we were not working fast enough my boss would get visibly upset and was very vocal about it. He would put down my coworkers behind their back.

Be more realistic when pricing out houses.

Review

Current Employee - Franchisee
    Current Employee - Franchisee

I have been working at College Pro Painters full-time

Pros

Really great experience for college students looking to learn skills of business ownership

Cons

Sometimes communication can lack between field managers and franchisees. Very time consuming.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managers tend to be profit driven with little regard for the quality of work.

Former Employee - Job Site Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Job Site Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It will show you the value of hard work, consistency, dedication, and outcome. It was very enjoyable to have homeowners, genuinely, thank you for the work performed. I worked with CPP for 3 summers and the end of the day gratitude from homeowners is what made the job worth it.

Cons

franchise mangers tend to be loosely trained and often missed key aspects of being a manager, what it actually meant. As was said, before, profit over quality.

Train the franchise managers to perform a full and complete job. These are other peoples homes and sub par work isn't acceptable.

Great real world experience. Great Company

Former Employee - Franchise Owner
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for more than a year

Pros

College Pro offers a one of a kind real world experience that is hands on. I learned more about myself and small business ownership than I would have ever thought I could. It's a well rounded company with excellent training and great culture. They are heading in the right direction. You can make a ton of money if you work for it.

Cons

You may work over 100 hours a week at times. You get what you put into it and even then, there is no guarantee of being profitable.

Terrible

I have been working at College Pro Painters

Pros

Get to work outdoors all day, good tips

Cons

Pay was always weeks late. Extremely unsafe environment to work in. All that mattered was finishing the job in an unrealistic amount of time with worker with no experience.

Does not allow a balanced life

I worked at College Pro Painters

Pros

There was definitely an ability to make money, and you had the freedom to call the shots and implement your way of doing things.

Cons

Not much relevant assistance, lots of costs that are not told to you, lots of added fees, supervisors and mentors are not very helpful/intelligent as a whole.

Fun, exciting and rewarding

Former Employee - Job Site Manager  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Job Site Manager in North Chicago, IL

I worked at College Pro Painters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to work with friends, cultivate communication, marketing, management skills and problem solve. A hands on approach to management (if in the JSM position) and the intricacies and facets that go along with the role.

Cons

Very long work weeks and heavy lifting. 40 hour maximum, however, consistently worked over time and was not compensated. A more accurate forecast is a work week consisting of 45-48 hour work weeks. Paid minimum wage with little wiggle room to negotiate. Franchisees are trying to squeeze every bit of profit out of their business. Vertical management structure--have a lot of oversight.

The most insanely horrible experience in my life next to breaking both my arms and collapsing my lungs.

Current Employee - Franchise Owner  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at College Pro Painters full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will meet some great people who are strongly motivated. This will look great on a resume and help you in obtaining future employment.

Cons

Expect to work 80-100 hours a week. Management got me to sign a contract by getting me drunk and telling me how great it was when I was only 20 years old at a bar. You will be forced to repay a $10,000 fake loan. They say they don't charge you for the name but after a few sales training programs and a box of signs they some how think you owe them $10,000. Recruiters will say they only take 20% of the profits though when your profit margins are 40% of a job their 20% is really more like half 50%. If you don't have the $10,000 bogus loan paid before your first job they will take all of the profit from every job leaving you and your employees stranded.

Horrible Work Experience

I worked at College Pro Painters full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work outside in the summer.

Cons

Pay is Horrible, training is not good, worked a ton of hours and made nothing

Budget hours in a way that will actually allow employees to be able to afford college.

College Pro Painters Photos

Worked for College Pro Painters? Contribute to the Community!