College Works Painting

www.collegeworks.com

College Works Painting Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Jeff Gunhus, Spencer Pepe, Jason Reid, Matthew Stewart

Pros
  • Helped with goal setting, time management, and the basics of running a business (in 18 reviews)

• Interns have the opportunity to obtain real world experience running a branch of a company with limited risk (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • HUGE time commitment; door-to-door marketing (in 14 reviews)

• Even if you book 25k in work, you wont necessary make any money (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity, But Know What You're Getting Into

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with College Works will do more to prepare you for the professional business environment than most internships, without a doubt. Anyone who wants to be successful early in their career should look into an internship that requires the kind of independence, responsibility, and breadth of experience that College Works required.

ConsMy territory wasn't near my house or school, so I ended up spending as much on gas as I was making from sales. Also, after the initial training and orientation, it's pretty much up to one manager to oversee your productivity and continue your training. Our manager was almost completely checked out - he failed to tell us important info, cancelled meetings right before they were supposed to take place (even though most of our team had to drive over an hour), and ended up quitting halfway through. In an organization where your sales are tracked and compared to others in your region, this was particularly frustrating. Others I knew had a much better experience with their managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDial back the rah-rah stuff and keep a closer eye on second- or third-year team managers.

This is my second year doing College Works. Such an amazing opportunity.

ProsThe awesome lifestyle. I love being able to make my own schedule and having the responsibility of client's in your hands.

ConsNot having time to go to the beach a lot and spring break. However, it is definitely worth it in the end.

District Manager - Wisconsin

District Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThis is my second year with the company and I've never had such a challenging and accomplishing experience in my life. I've learned more about myself, management, the real world and business than I could have possibly asked for. This internship changes lives and creates the future leaders of society.

ConsIf you are not motivated, coachable, and driven with a strong work ethic, this is not for you.

Advice to Senior Management\m/

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for the faint of heart - but incredible business experience

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsStep by step training - more than 100 hours throughout the entire experience that teach you step by step how to run your own business. You're given a mentor who has successfully completed the program before and is with you every step of the way. Throughout the 6 month internship, you gain business and leadership skills that are not taught in any other internship. Skills like marketing, managing client relations, generating revenue, recruiting and hiring crews of painters, stress & time management, processing payroll and understanding budget & profit control.
    Strong sense of company culture - WORK HARD PLAY HARD MENTALITY!
    If you are not willing to work hard and challenge yourself, this is not for you

ConsSometimes VERY difficult to manage and prioritize work and personal life - all part of a delicate balancing act that demands the highest levels of time management.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up - but try to explain responsibilities more fully to the interns - like payroll procedures

CWP has taught me more in a 6 month internship than I could have ever learned in 4+ years of business school.

Branch Manager/District Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe pros about CWP revolve around the fact that you are running your own business. You are taught management, organization, planning, leadership, and many other skills required in the professional world. The company culture is outstanding and some of my closest friends are now from CWP. For those who work their tails off, the compensation is quite nice.

ConsOne of the biggest cons of the company is tied in with the pros being that you are running your own business through school. It is an incredible experience but you only have 6 or so months to make or break your business so you have to invest your heart and soul into being successful here. The workload is off the charts difficult. After this internship I am thoroughly convinced that I will never have to work this hard again after working 100+ hour weeks for a little while in the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to find a way to lower the overhead costs. Interns struggle to turn a profit for so long and it is very challenging to stay motivated when you are broke and working 70+ hours a week etc.

College Works Painting is by far the most rewarding experience of my life to this point

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe atmosphere of this company by far the best part about it. Thousands of eager, young and ambitious college students go through this program and every single one of them will be successful at some point in their future. The connections created through payroll events and work trips like Cancun are amazing and the Managers, District Managers and Vice Presidents get to know each other personally and professionally. Not only are the relationships impressive, but the leadership opportunity is unparalleled. Dealing with clients and employees in the real world is something that few college students actually experience. When most students graduate they have never experienced dealing with client issues or firing people. After working with College Works Painting I truly believe I was ready for anything the world could throw at me.

ConsThe only con of this job is the time and effort it takes. It is not easy, and most definitely takes a lot of work to succeed. However, it is 100% worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. You truly are providing college students with the greatest learning experience of their lives.

Extremely Difficult but learned alot.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGain management and sales experience, forced to work hard and learn, fun culture

Consnot enough support from management, not enough training, profit margins are low because of company's percentage, seducing language about bonuses and rewards deceptive

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more paint training, take smaller percentage of profit

Good Experience

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI learned a lot working for College Works. Helped with goal setting, time management, and the basics of running a business.

ConsThe quality of the experience depends on your manager to a certain extent. I worked with two managers and the second one was terrible. I could barely get a hold of him and he didn't follow through with what he said he was going to do.

I enjoyed the experience and learn a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience for any young entrepreneurs who would love to learn leadership and team skills. You are able to make a great income.

ConsYou have to go door to door and a lot of homes will have signs stating that their home does not want to be solicited to.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some of the self help and motivational tools that network marketing companies use

Awful.

Crew Chief (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking outside and the easy 'interview'

ConsThe managers a re students too and this inexperienced. And the pay scale is implicitly dependent on their ability to estimate houses which is totally inaccurate for the first half the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave real managers and not students running the show.

Worked for College Works Painting? Contribute to the Community!