College Works Painting Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Jeff Gunhus, Spencer Pepe, Jason Reid, Matthew Stewart

Pros
  • You get amazing knowledge about running a business (in 20 reviews)

• If you want to go into business, CWP is hands down the best experience you can have in getting real world experience as an undergrad (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • HUGE time commitment; door-to-door marketing (in 17 reviews)

• Even if you book 25k in work, you wont necessary make any money (in 12 reviews)

1. College Works Painting experience as a DM

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

Pros

College Works Painting is an experience like non other. Not a lot of people can say they ran a business at age 18 or 19. Challenging? Yes! Rewarding? Absolutely. The skills they learn are easily transferable to the industry. Leadership, Management, Sales, Marketing, and customer relationships are the takeaways.

Cons

Hard to make money in the beginning. But after the learning curve, things are a lot smoother and interns start making bigger profits.

2. Great experience highly recommend the company

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great experience, Great atmosphere, Lots of valuable skills learned throughout. Ton of responsibility given

Cons

Can get stressful, with the responsibility given to a young college student, but its all part of the learning experience

Advice to Management

More support around production

3. Intern

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at College Works Painting part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to run every aspect of your own business.

Cons

Stressful at times. Due to the nature of it being your own company it can begin to consume your life.

Advice to Management

App for marketing

Intern

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at College Works Painting (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are hungry to better yourself and your future career as a college student, CWP is a great opportunity. I enjoyed the format of working individually yet having a team to lean on for support and encouragement. Looking back I learned more than I ever could have in this position than any internship I could have done. As a recent grad I am realizing the value of having CWP on my resume and the connections I made.

Cons

This internship is no joke...yes it is hard. Aim to make money but also know that you may not make a lot. I was a $70k manager who walked away with only $2K.

Advice to Management

Make intern profitable more of a priority

Worked for 5 months

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Mankato, MN

I worked at College Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good confidence builder and improves time management. Great on a resume, helps you be assertive.

Cons

Sacrifice your school work, social life, car. Not compensated for gas or repairs, they frankly don't care. During the conferences they will promise you gourmet meals literally repeating how good the food is going to be only to give you a McChicken. If you decide to quit be ready to get completely torn down emotionally by management. They are like a frat thinking they are better than everyone, they instill this mindset in others. They don't tell you everything, such as the fact you'll be paying $3k out of profit for your materials which are yours even after the program btw. They will tell you that you can balance your time with school but your manager is going to call you 3 times a day making sure your making calls and setting appointments with any free time you have. 80% of the people that started left before the third month. If you don't want to be a bully, don't join. If you are an overly aggressive salesperson than you'll do fine. They literally don't take no for an answer. They take half your profit by the way so when it's all said and done, 30k worth of sales will break you even.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people who quit like lepers. Literally the entire organization will cut you down.

Worst Company Ever

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that you can get a lot of hours if you want but if you're behind on budget you could end up working almost 7 days a week

Cons

Everything. I don't know how to even begin describing how horrible of a job this was. I had painted houses before on a service trip to New Orleans so I thought College Works Painting would be a fun and profitable summer job, I was sadly mistaken. First off I was straight up lied to about how much money I would be making. I was told I would be making $9-12 an hour but I made $8 and eventually ended up at $9 by the end of the summer... They make it seem like if you paint faster and beat budgets you'll make so much extra money but budgets are always unreasonable. It seems to not take into account things like ladder movements, potential wasps nests you encounter, prep, needing to be careful painting near brick, etc. Once we were so behind on budget that my coworker was paid $2 less an hour than she was supposed. Also is another painting crew worked on a house and didn't work fast/did a poor job, you still get screwed over because then you'll definitely end up not beating budget. At the end of the summer you're supposed get a bonus but we were so behind and so into the month of August that I had to leave the job because it was time for me to get back to school. Because I couldn't work for literally the last 2 days I wasn't given my bonus even though we were supposed to have been done a week earlier. Another frustrating thing about College Works is that you have to drive very far to get to some houses and I was never reimbursed for gas all summer long. Some houses are in towns so far you have to travel a distance to even find a bathroom and we aren't paid if we need to drive to find a bathroom. One day we started the day at 7am and we weren't allowed to take a lunch break until the house was finished so we didn't eat until 2:30pm after I basically begged for a lunch break because I started feeling dehydrated. This is a company that definitely didn't care about me or my fellow employees, they only cared about themselves. I am writing this review to tell everyone NEVER TO WORK WITH COLLEGE WORKS PAINTING. It ruined my summer and I wish I would have gotten almost any other summer job.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers what you promise you would, stop taking advantage of college students

WARNING - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Former Employee - Intern in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

Absolutely nothing good will come from this company. I strongly recommend avoiding them at all costs. Better options out there!

Cons

HUGE time commitment, operates like a pyramid scheme, door to door marketing, huge upfront costs, takes a toll on your social life, gas and car wear/tear, and not guaranteed to even make money. Also will not lead to a job or help your resume in the slightest.

Advice to Management

Close the business for good. Stop scamming college students.

College Works Painting Response

Aug 10, 2015 – Marketing Director

Hi, we're sorry to hear about your experience with CWP. What can we do to help you out? Please feel free to contact us at 888-450-9675 or info@collegeworks.com if there's anything we can do to help. ... More

My 2 years at CWP

Current Employee - Regional Consultant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Consultant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

College Works is a great place to develop real world skills for college students. One has ample opportunity to learn what it takes to be successful in a challenging field with no prior experience. Also a great place to develop close, lasting relationships. The company culture is second to none.

Cons

If you're looking to make easy money, this is not the place. You will definitely work harder than you are monetarily compensated for. School and work are hard to balance because you never feel like you are doing enough for work. It really is a full tme job if you want to be successful.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees more and and do not be as overbearing.

Painter

Former Employee - Painter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Painter in Columbus, OH

Pros

work outside, not much else

Cons

high stress, little help from higher ups, little training

11. Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible Work Hours - Great Culture - Power in position

Cons

- Time Consumption is high - Stressful work/life balance

RSS Feed </> Embed