College for Creative Studies

College for Creative Studies Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Positive experience overall, but definite room for improvement.

Admissions (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe faculty, staff and especially students here are great. The benefits are phenomenal, especially the PTO and retirement. Normal business hours are cushy. Midtown is a beautiful area to work in and you feel like you're part of something special. Gorgeous offices.

ConsThe upper administration is a bit rigid and straight-laced. Annoyingly asinine policies such as dress code are enforced for staff. While I was there, the microwave in our building was removed because an executive-level staffer couldn't stand the smell of certain foods. Thanks a lot. There are not a lot of fun events or college-sponsored team building for staff: no official holiday party, no summer picnic, etc. You may expect that an art & design college would be a super fun environment to work in, but for administrative staff this is not so much the case. It's still a hard and fast place of business that expects a lot of its employees, and possibly includes a good amount of weekend work depending on your role.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up. Encourage more play among your administrative staff. Be flexible with things like dress code. We are working with highly creative kids, they don't want to talk to stiffs in business attire. Your people work hard—throw them a company party or two. Morale will be all-the-better for it.

It is what it is

Technician (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAt least when I was there, we were pretty much left alone to do whatever we were pleased to do as long as we "do our job". Most of your time working as a work study is spent waiting for the next customer, so you are essentially paid to do your homework.

ConsThe pay isn't great. Given that it isn't bad considering the work load is extremely light, but if you are a CCS student in Detroit with a entrepreneurial mindset (and skills) there are far more better paying and much more fun ways to make money on the side while you attend the school.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take yourselves too seriously.

college professor College for Creative Studies

College Professor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsWorking with professional people that are knowledgeable in their field, excellent technological support, high student motivation

ConsWill only consider people with PHD's for some positions

Advice to Senior ManagementTake in to consideration prospective employee's education and past experience. Sometimes experience and actual on job experience can count more than education.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCCS is great because the faculty and staff are really truly interested in helping students learn and in taking advantage of the facilities to provide an excellent education.

ConsIt's a small campus, so the work you are subjected too can become familiar and repetitive.

Nice

ProsNice people work here everyday

ConsNo doors are unlocked ever

Advice to Senior Managementunlock all the doors

Great place to work overall with some challenges

Admissions (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros-Great benefits: retirement contribution whether you match it or not, paid winter break, lots of PTO days and 13 paid holidays
    -Good work/life balance
    -Excellent educational environment
    -Talented students and faculty
    -Beautiful campus
    -Opportunity for advancement (to an extent--usually people stay in the same department but they promote based on seniority within a department instead of hiring outside people)

Cons-Technologically, the company could improve. Everything is still on paper instead of digital (they are just now starting to transition) which is surprising for a top design school. The software/email system used is inefficient and archaic on the administrative side.
    -There are not enough employee outings or company gatherings. CCS does not sponsor a holiday party anymore and there are no faculty/staff picnic or retreat/teambuilding activities. The offices are all very separate. Thus, the departments don't always work well together.
    -The pay is not great, as CCS is a private insitution.
    -There are no bonus opportunities and raises are irregular.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold events where the departments can get to know each other better so the college can run more efficiently and be a friendlier place to be.

A very passionate place. Unfortunately, due to the school being a private institution, pay is low.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFantastic environment and lots of paid time off.

ConsMajor communication issues and again, low wages.

Worked for College for Creative Studies? Contribute to the Community!