College of American Pathologists

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles Roussel

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An Organization with a strong mission!

Employee (Current Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsEstablished organization that drives change and growth

ConsNo negative remarks to share

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build innovative thinkers and go getters to continue the good work

The company itself is good! It's management that ruins the experience.

(Current Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsGreat benefits. HR does good job showing employees are appreciated, however management quickly erases any appreciation the company shows their employees. Great pay, work/life balance, ok vacation and holiday time off, yearly bonus if you don't get a bad review, they let some staff work from home. Great 401k matching and additional contribution at end of year.

ConsYour manager can make or break you, and varies depending on what dept you end up in. Inconsistant perks from dept to dept. No to little opportunity for advancement either. Employees sit in same job with no promotions for years or title increase. Lots of new hires are relatives and friends of employees are not qualified for jobs. Management is hired or moved in place because of senority or a friend recommendation and have no business managing people. Words such as bipolar, crazy, moody are used to describe mgmt. Very little system support, creates a lot of manual work. The company does not accept change well and they like to do things like they've also done them. Discouraged from thinking outside the box. Managers can be demeaning and bullies. Takes a long time to be vested in benefits listed above.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out your bad management, it causes low employee morale. People walk around the company like they hate their jobs and hate being there. Senority doesn't always make a good manager. Employees don't feel appreciated or respected.

Cutting edge at a breakneck speed

IT Manager (Current Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsSeveral year ago the company started migrating all legacy applications to a single platform. Cutting edge technology is more a norm now than an exception. If you are a software developer and looking for an opportunity to pick up new skills and significantly enhance your resume, College will meet and exceed your expectations. But be prepared to work hard.

ConsThere are a lot of initiatives, especially in the IT area. But often it feels like more people are needed to sustain a breakneck speed the company tries to maintain. Work-life balance often takes a back seat to achieving aggressive goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company. Felt less like a non-profit than when I started.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsGood people who want to make a difference, overtime typically not required.

ConsBecame too corporate as it grew, I felt like I had less and less of an impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to non-management using terms that are relevant to them instead of business terms. Most people do not have a degree in business.

Good benefits, unorganized leadership

Media Relations (Former Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work schedule, lots of opportunity

ConsLeadership changes direction often, big CEO turnover, re-organizations common

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to stay on course

Interesting area in which to work but it is difficult to make significant progress

Manager (Current Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsThe organization works on some cutting edge areas of health care.

ConsThe organization is extremely obsessed with minor details and could benefit from developing a broader perspective.

Mindless labor

Call Center Agent (Former Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsThe stable hours, the generous PTO, the good health benefits (after 1 year), the helpfulness of my co-workers, being able to help others.

ConsNo career opportunities, didn't feel valued, micromanagement, and poor organization communication. The programs I needed for my job were constantly unavailable, making both staff and customers frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that even people at the bottom of the totem pole have ideas--and good ones at that. They can truly help you understand and improve your business as they have frontline knowledge of what the customer wants and needs.

Satisfying place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northfield, IL

ProsThe CAP provides an excellent environment to work with good work/life balance. My colleagues are engaged, and very knowledgeable in their responsibilities. I have always felt like part of a team, and my ideas are treated with respect.

ConsThere is a tendency to have too many meetings. Also, projects start and stop and no one knows why and if they will be picked up again.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecision making authority needs to be pushed down and spread throughout the organization.

Worked for College of American Pathologists? Contribute to the Community!