College of American Pathologists Reviews

30 reviews filtered by
3.2
Charles Roussel

1. Great organization for Mid career professionals

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The size is perfect for building great working relatoinships and getting quality work done. CEO is action oriented and supportive of new ideas.

Cons

I haven't experienced any challenges. One of the best places I've worked.

Delegate more and empower the mid level leaders. Continue to focus on developing leaders to more effective play their role.

2. Fulfilling and meaningful work, ability to influence improvements in clinical patient care

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work collaboratively cross-functionally

Cons

Some internal obstacles to team collaboration, remaining work silos

3. There were programs to make interns feel included, and there was a good amount of work for the interns.

Former Employee - Summer Student
    Former Employee - Summer Student

I worked at College of American Pathologists

Pros

I liked how the CAP had programs to include interns. I was also given a good amount of responsibility my very first day. Work was not stressful.

Cons

Many employees were family members and thus thought rot was apparent. The work culture was extremely demotivating.

5. Grass is Greener - leave and expand

Former Employee - Manager in Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Northfield, IL

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No room for growth, poor support from leaders, not interested in developing your talents

Cons

All about the incentive, have to complete VP goals before you complete your own, all about the incentive

Board members are for show, COO has control over the company, CEO is a follower not a leader, VPs have no interest in your growth

CAP: the slow boiling frog?

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good, and they have great retention rates. They currently dominate the market they are in and have the reputation for being the 'gold standard' of the industry.

Cons

Some of the employees that have been there for a long time stop progress, risk taking and innovative thinking. Being the 'gold standard' creates a blind spot re: how to improve and how the market is changing. The review is titled "slow boiling frog" because, like the parable where the frog stays in a pot of water as it slowly heats and finally dies, CAPs world is changing and they are not moving fast enough, in my opinion, to stay ahead of it.

Innovative thinking and thinkers can be slowly smothered.

This place has the potential to be great, but...

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time

Pros

Interesting work. Good benefits, comp time earned when you work on weekends

Cons

Working on weekends, too much internal process, passive aggressive behavior is tolerated (maybe encouraged?)

Don't pretend that employees have ability to make decisions that affect them -- management is totally top-down, but likes to think they're empowering employees. They're not.

8. Lots of smart people, slow-moving culture

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The CAP has won awards for being a best workplace. it has a lot of more seasoned employees and great members and smart staff. Compensation is generally very fair.

Cons

Decision-making can be slow and the culture is risk-adverse. For staff of committees, there is a fair amount of weekend work. However, you know months in advance when it will occur and get comp time for working weekends.

Empower employees more and share information more frequently at all levels.

9. Mission-driven, smart, forward-thinking, and committed

Pros

Virtual/mobile work options plus a large headquarters building and a satellite office | Competitive base salary structure and incentive program | Deeply committed and long-time employees | New employees from top firms | Professional development and succession planning is important | Annual performance objectives are tied to clear corporate goals | A very polite and respectful culture | Clean, safe, and pretty environment | Staff work very hard and care about what they do | Executive leadership team continuously seeks feedback and opportunities for improvement.

Cons

Many positions do require travel or work on weekends since physician-led council/committee meetings occur when physicians are available. Compensatory time is granted when this occurs.

Be willing to set clear expectations while also building trust through timely feedback and coaching.

Where did we go wrong?

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time

Pros

CAP is embracing mobile working (working from home). This is a nice change indeed. It helps improve the work-life balance and is an excellent time/money savings opportunity.
    There is a large amount of CAP staff that has been here for a very long time. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst the staff.
    There are a lot of family and friends that work at the CAP. CAP takes employee referrals seriously.
    My favorite part is that I still am in the healthcare field, just the "business/corporate" side of it. What I do still improves patient care - that is why I am still here.

Cons

There is a large amount of CAP staff that has been here for a very long time. This makes change extremely challenging - in all aspects of the organization.
    The workload throughout the organization is extremely heavy. The CEO wanted to make us lean and that he did. However, I know that several parts of the organization have staff on the brink of burnout and I think executive staff turns a blind eye to this.
    There was a much higher morale and overall feel to the organization when I started here and I miss that, ALOT.
    It's sad because I know a lot of very talented staff that are now looking to find new opportunities outside the organization.

It doesn't matter because they don't listen - so I guess my advice is to listen to what your staff is telling you because they are saying it for a reason.
    Secondly, practice what you preach.

Great learning experience

Current Contractor - Production Coordinator in Northfield, IL
    Current Contractor - Production Coordinator in Northfield, IL

I have been working at College of American Pathologists as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of open communication
    People are very welcoming
    Everyone seems to have the same goal in mind: working to help pathologists who in turn help patients

Cons

Lots of hoops to jump through at times, the non-profit company structure is not what I'm used to working in.

My department's management is very efficient. Great communication with other levels and across the department. Feedback is always well received.