College of DuPage

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
4.0

Dr. Robert L. Breuder

I love my adjunct position here

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at College of DuPage as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I am a newer adjunct professor but COD was my second community college and now my third. I am continuing to teach here and have found everyone so pleasant to work with.

Yes, adjunct teaching isn't glamorous and the pay isn't quite matching how much work I do, but that is a nationwide problem at all schools. As far as I'm concerned, the Adjunct rate is higher than most other places in Illinois, I feel very supported by others, and the students are pretty amazing.

I should add that I was previously a student at Moraine Valley Community College so I've been through the community college experience myself. I was an above average and highly dedicated student. I feel like I've had a good mixture of students here. Some are very dedicated, others don't come to class. Just like other places I've taught.

Cons

I'm nervous about getting more classes next semester so I can pay the bills. They do also have a part-time faculty position that gives health insurance but I didn't receive a position this year.

Hire more full-time teachers! But this is my advice to all colleges. Trying to pay my bills and get health insurance is added stress that carries into the time I have to plan and work with students.

Tutor for College of Dupage

Former Employee - Professional Tutor in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Professional Tutor in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College of DuPage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Part time work, able to request time off easily, only worked during the academic year so got Christmas break, Spring Break, Fall Break, etc.

Cons

a lot of paperwork to get started, segregation between departments

More cohesive plan

Great school, great place to work, but not perfect.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at College of DuPage part-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of room to grow, great support system, great diversity, beautiful campus, new technology, great teachers, friendly staff, lots to do on campus

Cons

definitely a hierarchy (they aren't afraid to show which departments are more important than others), pay could be better, sometimes people won't even bother replying to your email

Excellent place to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College of DuPage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, opportunities for growth, regular raises, friendly environment, steady workload. I was able to take time off for vacations without any disruption to my work.

Cons

Honestly, none. This was the best job I ever had. It would only be a con for someone that likes a rigid schedule and constant supervision- because my job was the opposite of that.

Good School but they don't care about their part time adjuncts.

Current Employee - Part Time Adjunct Instructor in Glyn Ellen, IN
    Current Employee - Part Time Adjunct Instructor in Glyn Ellen, IN

I have been working at College of DuPage part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great school. They care about our military. Good food!

Cons

They only hire part time adjuncts. Limited amount of credits to teach a year. Don't ever expect to be full time here. They couldn't care less about you. No mentors. Not very organized.

Hire full timers. Take suggestions. Give new employees a mentor to contact. Don't get "annoyed" when contacted by your part time faculty, its our job to ask questions!

It's OK

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at College of DuPage

Pros

Benefits are good; salaries are competitive and the campus is very nice. It has been remodeled and has a lot of new buildings and offerings.

Cons

There are some people who should not be managers. Why they were chosen and why they are allowed to supervise other people, not sure.

Train managers to be managers and then make sure they are held to the task. Otherwise, don't hire them into the job just because you want to fill the opening so quickly.

Top-notch community college

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at College of DuPage part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional environment. New or newly-renovated buildings with technology in the classroom. Hard-working faculty all aiming for the success of the students. Excellent academic programs in a huge range of subjects. Day or evening teaching opportunities.

Cons

If a class or program does not get enough enrollment, classes do get cancelled. There is little to no chance for part-time faculty to move into a full-time teaching position unless someone leaves.

I ran one of the computer lab for one of the departments

Former Employee - Lab Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College of DuPage part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of working there was, never worked past 9pm. I also like dealing with the students.

Cons

I did not having to work weekends. I also did not like the relatively low pay either. They also forced us to pay into a retirement plan called SURS.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Front Desk Lead in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Lead in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College of DuPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance since it's an office job. depending on what department you're in, you'll be off on all the holidays and weekends and summer hours are shorter.

Cons

the department i was in does get enough activity. it can get boring sometimes

Great collaborations

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at College of DuPage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with energetic people; flexible time

Cons

Nothing bad besides playing politics which interferes the department's continuous work.