College of Lake County

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good experience, Students are the best customers.

Temporary Cashier (Former Employee)
    Grayslake, IL

ProsMost of the students are the nicest customers your going to find in customer service, Management was very good, training made us very comfortable. Everyone was nice to work. i was starting a different job the same time as this one and it was hard to handle two jobs and school at the same time, they were able to work with my schedule to make everything a little bit easier.

ConsThe position was only temporary, They dont put a lot of trust in their temporary cashiers, Not allowed to have your cell phone or wallet with you while on the floor. Financial aid is collected in a very old school way which wastes a lot of paper. someone could buy a pen on financial aid for 59 cents they would have to use at least 5 pieces of paper for this transaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what other schools do with financial aid, my school doesnt do things like CLC, we save a lot more paper.

Lack of technology and staff is conservative

Adult Education Administrative (Former Employee)
    Grayslake, IL

Prosstudent body is diversified, but staff is not. Most are old-school folks that only consult amongst themselves.

ConsLow salaries, lack of communication, and not a very competitive environment to stirr up growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher younger and more tech-friendly personnel.

CLC Review

Management (Former Employee)
    Grayslake, IL

ProsThe benefits package is ridiculously generous....best i have ever experienced.

ConsThe place has dysfunctional culture. Too much employee turnover and too much a trustee - driven organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor communication and horrible employee training.

Grayslake, IL

ProsEmployee benefits are good like accumulating sick days and tuition waivers for spouse and children. It's a job. You can get promoted to another dept quickly especially if someone likes you better.

ConsOne of the worst places I have worked for in my entire 30 years of work history. This place is so backwards. Lack of formal job training for new employees is terrible. The only formal "training" you get from HR is how to use the phone, use Microsoft Outlook, sexual harassment and the standard HR policies every company has. The rest is basically up to you depending on your direct supervisor's personality. Depending on your position, your supervisor may take you around and have you meet people you will be working with in other depts or not depending on their management style, then after that, you have to figure alot of stuff out on your own and all while trying to help students answer their questions who need help themselves. The senior management is so far removed from the day to day activities of each department they have no clue how things operate and how their constant policy changes affect the employees. Many people I have met during my short stay her is that both employees and people who work with the college have the same opinion - how disorganized this place is. Do whatever you want is the philosophy on your job, but then someone will come back and tell you how you did it wrong. Working between depts is horrible, many errors and confusion between lots of people makes for a crappy place to work if you have to work with a lot of depts often.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together because this place is so disorganized. If you were a for profit company, you'd be out of business already.

great place to work

Grayslake, IL

ProsLove the educational and cooperative nature of CLC

ConsColleges are not run like a business and are often slow in the operations side.

Worked for College of Lake County? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at College of Lake County reviews and ratings in Grayslake, IL. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by College of Lake County employees.