College of Southern Maryland
www.csmd.edu La Plata, MD

College of Southern Maryland Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2014
College of Southern Maryland – La Plata – “Central Campus”

great place of work

Student Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Waldorf, MD

I have been working at College of Southern Maryland part-time for less than a year

Prosgood experience, learned a lot. They are great there. i learned everything i need to know about being an admin assistant there

Consbudget didnt allow me to work there longer. I was let go because the had budget cuts and were not able to fund the student assistants any longer

Adjunct Professor

College Assistant Professor (Former Employee)
La Plata, MD

I worked at College of Southern Maryland part-time for more than 10 years

ProsProvided the opportunity to teach a different type of courses. A professional and good working environment. Nice setting and community college environment. Wonderful teaching environment for adjunct professors.

ConsLow salary and unrealistic expectations for full-time professors. For example, I was expected to teach the required classes and perform associated administrative functions. I was expected to complete professional development activities and perform course development activities basically for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish realistic workload and professional development requirements for full-time professors.

CSM has become an extension of the public school system in that it doesn't hold students accountable.

Adjunct (Former Employee)
Leonardtown, MD

I worked at College of Southern Maryland as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsIt's a way to see if teaching is your passion. Depending on which courses you teach, it could be a good second job.

ConsThere is no due process in place for adjuncts. The financial compensation is inadequate for the amount of time put in to prepare and grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your adjuncts--they are your bread and butter. Put educating students above everything.

Developer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at College of Southern Maryland full-time for more than a year

ProsGood community college to start out your career. They provide good training sessions and it is a tightly knit environment.

ConsSalary is really low and don't except to raise through the ranks easily. It will take a lot of time to through the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep people in the right positions and manage employees properly.

ok to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at College of Southern Maryland full-time

Prosgood people to work with.

Consreally low paid, and great benefits.

3 years to long

Out the Door (Current Employee)

I have been working at College of Southern Maryland

ProsThe benefits at the college are pretty good. The environment is kinda relaxed and flexible. Depending on who you work for, taking time off isn't a big deal as long as you have leave. If you are looking for a flexible place to work, CSM is the place for you.

ConsWhere do I begin:

- Supervisors who don't know how to supervise. Guidance in a position is very rare. You have to come in willing to learn on your own.
- To much gossip. You feel like you are in high school again. People are more concerned about your personal business than your performance. If someone was let go, nearly everyone knows within 5 minutes.
- Hidden agendas. Warning to all new comers, do not tell your personal business when you start working here. People aren't genuinely interested. They only want to know so they can talk about you or use it against you later.
-Significantly underpaid. First off, I'm very happy to have a job in these hard economic times, BUT, when your institution ranges up to 20% in pay difference between other colleges and universities, that's pretty bad.
- Salaries aren't adjusted in equitable fashions. A new employee with similar job functions or even pay grade could come in at a higher salary.
- Takes to long move up the pay scale. It can take 8-15 years to reach the minimum pay grade for positions at and below the director level.
- Decisions are made without looking to the people who really do the work.
- Hard work goes unnoticed. We'd rather hire external than internal. So if you are looking for a job, applied today.

There are so many things I can say, but I'll stop here for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild up the employees you have now. If you invest in their growth maybe we wouldn't lose so many great people. Those who stay are here because they've either grown accustom to the atmosphere, have never been out of the Southern Maryland area, came in on a sweet deal, don't have much responsibility on the job and collecting a pay check to do nothing, using the college as a stepping stone to move on or are hopeful that they will get an opportunity to get promoted.

na

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at College of Southern Maryland

Prosvacations, holidays, sick leave policy

Consnot too many opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for College of Southern Maryland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at College of Southern Maryland reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by College of Southern Maryland employees.