College of St. Scholastica

www.css.edu

College of St. Scholastica Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mid-range college hoping to be more

Associate Professor (Current Employee) Duluth, MN

ProsTuition benefits for kids are good.
    Emphasis on good teaching; low pressure for major academic output.
    Teaching load is manageable, better than others.,
    Opportunities to expand within discipline.
    Great colleagues in dept & school.
    Great sense of tradition and community values.

ConsPay lower than other higher ed in area.
    Invest in programs selling now, limping ones not helped.
    Admin tries hard but can't generate focused momentum.
    Little chance to teach your research area, lots of gen ed courses.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the Good to Great idea by defining the intellectual core that gives the college its identity. Use better metrics to find out who / what builds it up, and who / what detracts. Act on them persistently.

IT Shop From Heaven!

Web Developer (Current Employee) Duluth, MN

ProsFantastic work environment. Excellent co-workers. 4 weeks paid vacation. They allow lots of freedom to explore person interests in the field to find out what can be applied to my responsibilities. They believe that if I'm doing my job and incorporating technologies that I love, I'll do a better job.

ConsMay be limited room for advancement. Pay is sub standard for the industry but that's more because of the area. My wife and I wanted to stay near family. Salaries would be better in a larger city.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job. Keep it up. I'm impressed with the moral and atmosphere here.

Great place to work!

ProsBenefits are great. Has a wonderful tuition remission program that helps you, and your family, further education. Management knows that family life is important and seems genuinely concerned with helping employees maintain that balance. Somewhat open to flexible schedules and work arrangements.

ConsSalaries are so-so. I think people work here for the benefits, for the culture, and for opportunities rather than the money. I rated opportunities in the mid-range because there is limited upward mobility, primarily because people tend to stick around for a long time. However, there are other opportunities to take advantage of, such as learning new skills, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions and regular recognition are important. I think our upper management could do better at recognizing employees achievements (not just the faculty).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alright

ProsGood Co workers
    Decent benefits
    Students are great to work with
    Flexible with schedule and family issues
    Overall "ok"

ConsThe management is very poor
    Very concerned with the old world politics
    The payroll department has screwed up my paycheck several times and not corrected it in a timely manner

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery one is to concerned with the chain of control. Lower level employees are swept under the rug. Middle management hides issues from senior management and hides their incompetencies.

Worked for College of St. Scholastica? Contribute to the Community!