College of Wooster

www.wooster.edu

College of Wooster Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014
College of Wooster – Wooster – “The College of Wooster”

Too many responsibilities for each employee

ProsThere are plenty of positions that are encouragingly stable and may provide opportunities to grow. Networking and making friends in other departments will get you far. Most students and employees are fantastic to work with and genuinely care about the college and the education of all students. Change and growth are very possible, if you know who to talk to. Building community makes the work very enjoyable.

ConsThere are plenty of positions that are terrifyingly stressful and overwhelming, due to very harsh management by a select few. Several departments live in fear, while the senior management turns a blind eye. Making enemies is very dangerous and comes back to bite you in ways you wouldn't expect. Most people working at the college, whether they enjoy their job or not, have a LOT if different responsibilities that don't always make sense together.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for and be open to feedback and constructive criticism from your employees. Taking questions at staff meetings doesn't count. You NEED to create a clear and safe way to report harassment of ALL kinds, anonymously (that includes for employees AND students).

Had a great experience at Wooster

Weight Room Manager (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

Prosthis position is great for students. you are able to do homework after the machines are cleaned. The cleaning is not strenuous

ConsSome students do not get many very hours, the pay stays the same no matter how many years you work,

Great Place to Work

ProsGreat Education Atmosphere with access to all the campus activites. A big plus in a small town

ConsCompensation packages seem inconsistent across departments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student worker with a minimum hourly rate throughout 4 years of employment.

Timken Library Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsGood work/life balance. Great sub-urban environment for an expanding family, cheap cost of living. Relative proximity to urban environment when desired (1 hr to Cleveland, 50 min to Akron, 1.5 hr to Columbus, 3 hrs to Cincinnati)

ConsNo nightlife. Small-minded, small-town people. Disconnect and tension between college community and rest of town. High concentration of sexual offenders surrounding the college campus. Limited financial compensation.

Boss was Crazy

Server (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsGreat money on event nights, lucrative overall.

ConsHigh stress, no one likes working here, staff very stressful always

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp people learn without ridiculing them, no one likes you

A great place to work

Student Researcher (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsI worked here as a student researcher with the Math department during the summer and the supervisor as well as the advising professors were great. They provided the students with enough guidance so that we didn't have to stumble through everything on our own, while making sure that we got to develop the project autonomously. They were also concerned with building a friendly and comfortable working environment by hosting picnics/gatherings at their houses and organizing group lunch every Thursday. Most importantly, they care about their student employees' experience, making sure that everybody is growing academically, professionally and personally, rather than paying attention only to the work result.

ConsI wish there were more training at the beginning about the type of work we had to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe supervisor and professors did a great job. I hope they keep up the good work and provide more training to students.

Fun place to work and shelve books

Library Assistance (Current Employee) Wooster, OH

Prosfriendly staff and flexible hours,

Conspoor communication between departments, not very exciting work

Marekting

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsIt is great to work at Wooster

ConsThe town of Wooster is not that gerat

Advice to Senior Managementasdasd

Good for Students

Digital Imaging Technician (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsMy boss was always very willing to allow time off for college related activities, such as homework, class meetings, and sorority needs.

ConsOne of the downsides was that due to the lenient nature of the job and the trusting attitude of my boss, other students were not as motivated to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate students to work harder. When other students slack, the ones that would generally work harder may see it as an opportunity to slack, or alternately, be discouraged by being treated similarly, even if others are not working as hard.

Student Technician Job Review

Student Technician (Current Employee) Wooster, OH

Pros-Can Email saying that can't come in
    -You have free time when no one is in the office for help
    -Cool people

Cons-Same pay as other student employees in other departments (can work at Best Buy's Geeksquad for $13 an hour)
    -Can't listen to music on headphones

Advice to Senior Management-It would be nice to be able to listen to music when no one is needing assistance.
    -Other than that quite good

Worked for College of Wooster? Contribute to the Community!