CollegeSpring

CEO

Disorganized, but mostly positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CollegeSpring part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you meet and work with are great. Everyone is very nice. They have a pretty standardized proceeding of hiring mentors. The compensation was definitely reasonable and they are good about getting it to you on time.

Cons

Because there is so much turnover, the middle management is not very effective at what they do. There are constantly new people learning how to supervise the mentors and recruitment process.

Overall, positive.

Former Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CollegeSpring part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Did a great job training all the mentors, and there was plenty of support from the staff. Good work environment, and usually hires people that are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Your experience greatly depends on the site you are placed at and the kids you are assigned. The school I was placed at did a really poor job of getting kids to attend the sessions so I didn't feel like I made as much impact as I would have liked.

I would recommend forming stronger partnerships with the schools in order to help with issues such as attendance.

Good for the short-term

I worked at CollegeSpring full-time

Pros

Great mission. While there is still work to do to determine the effectiveness of the programs, it's clear that a difference is being made. The organization is growing quickly and there is a ton of potential.

Cons

The executive team is a bit aloof when it comes to what people running their programs actually have to do. Staff are often overwhelmed with constantly changing tasks many of which fall outside of their job descriptions. The executive team is compensated very well but everyone else makes below the median wage for SF or LA. Everyone I have talked to mentioned that they took a pay cut for their current job.

Get out of the "churn and burn" mentality while you still can. There's a lot of potential for building a strong work culture with employees who stay longer, but you have to make it a priority. Engage other staff members in decision-making.

Great start-up with lots of upward mobility

I worked at CollegeSpring

Pros

The start-up environment is great for someone just out of undergrad and/or grad school. The fast-paced nature of the work that they do keeps things exciting and interesting.

Cons

Sometimes the job entails performing tasks that are not explicitly in your job description and require creativity to tackle. This is both a bad and good thing, since you can learn from overcoming challenging situations.

Challenging, but enriching summer

I worked at CollegeSpring

Pros

Fun work environment. The training was great, and we were provided with plenty of support from immediate supervisors and the area staff. I felt like I was helping to make a difference in the larger systemic problem.

Cons

Limited hours. Experience depends on placement and coworkers, and it can sometimes be hard working with other undergraduate students.