CollegeSpring Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.3
CEO

1. Awesome, Supportive Team!

Former Employee - Regional Campus Recruitment Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Campus Recruitment Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CollegeSpring (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative and meaningful. I truly felt like I was making a difference knowing the mentors I was recruiting would affect so many students' lives.

Cons

Lots of driving, lack of funding for recruitment

2. Full-time employee

I have been working at CollegeSpring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are really nice and always willing to help. There is a lot of room for growth and the HR Department is committed to improving the career path and personal development of employees. I am really passionate about my job and I feel connected with the mission of the organization.

Cons

CollegeSpring is still growing. I guess that like every startup sometimes the team structure, job responsibilities or procedures can be unclear.

Advice to Management

The Management Team should is doing a great job by including all staff in the strategic planning. Keep it up.

3. Mentor for 4 years and loved it!

Current Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Supportive staff, easily accessible executives, great experience in urban education, VERY flexible hours, generous pay ($10/hour) compared to other tutoring positions and traveling is often compensated. Training sessions are constantly improving with food always provided. Definitely prioritize mentor relationship and provide all the resources you need to be successful.

Cons

No cons - growing company but always open to feedback!

5. Great environment

I have been working at CollegeSpring part-time

Pros

Rewarding work Decent pay for college students Well-organized and run by current management Rapidly growing

Cons

Sometimes, communication between the school and the company isn't as substantive as it should be. School might close building down during a mentor session without informing the program in advance.

Advice to Management

Difficult for management to do anything about the school's ineffective communication. I would try to expand to more cities, which i understand management is already work towards.

6. Disorganized, but mostly positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CollegeSpring part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet and work with are great. Everyone is very nice. They have a pretty standardized proceeding of hiring mentors. The compensation was definitely reasonable and they are good about getting it to you on time.

Cons

Because there is so much turnover, the middle management is not very effective at what they do. There are constantly new people learning how to supervise the mentors and recruitment process.

7. Overall, positive.

Former Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Mentor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CollegeSpring part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Did a great job training all the mentors, and there was plenty of support from the staff. Good work environment, and usually hires people that are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Your experience greatly depends on the site you are placed at and the kids you are assigned. The school I was placed at did a really poor job of getting kids to attend the sessions so I didn't feel like I made as much impact as I would have liked.

Advice to Management

I would recommend forming stronger partnerships with the schools in order to help with issues such as attendance.

8. Good for the short-term

I worked at CollegeSpring full-time

Pros

Great mission. While there is still work to do to determine the effectiveness of the programs, it's clear that a difference is being made. The organization is growing quickly and there is a ton of potential.

Cons

The executive team is a bit aloof when it comes to what people running their programs actually have to do. Staff are often overwhelmed with constantly changing tasks many of which fall outside of their job descriptions. The executive team is compensated very well but everyone else makes below the median wage for SF or LA. Everyone I have talked to mentioned that they took a pay cut for their current job.

Advice to Management

Get out of the "churn and burn" mentality while you still can. There's a lot of potential for building a strong work culture with employees who stay longer, but you have to make it a priority. Engage other staff members in decision-making.

9. Great start-up with lots of upward mobility

Pros

The start-up environment is great for someone just out of undergrad and/or grad school. The fast-paced nature of the work that they do keeps things exciting and interesting.

Cons

Sometimes the job entails performing tasks that are not explicitly in your job description and require creativity to tackle. This is both a bad and good thing, since you can learn from overcoming challenging situations.

10. Challenging, but enriching summer

Pros

Fun work environment. The training was great, and we were provided with plenty of support from immediate supervisors and the area staff. I felt like I was helping to make a difference in the larger systemic problem.

Cons

Limited hours. Experience depends on placement and coworkers, and it can sometimes be hard working with other undergraduate students.

RSS Feed </> Embed