Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

4.2

Eric Crews

Through hard work and determination, impressive profits and valuable business skills can be achieved.

Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager  in  Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Burlington, VT

Pros

CE will be stressful and challenging, but as you work through these learning curves there will be drastic self-improvement that will better your entire life. CE provides the chance to learn and gain experience in every fundamental part of business. From sales to management, the client and employee facing you do as a Branch Manager is unrivaled. CE's real life business experience is the ultimate for college students looking to gain business skills and build their resume. Even years later, interviewers love hearing about my experience with CE, as well as all the skills I got out of it. And beyond resume boosting, I will forever take pride in running a business that generated over $130,000 in revenue and had ads in all the major newspapers in my area. So the experience at CE goes beyond the skills and experience gained, it will forever give you pride in what you accomplished. I will never forget, and always value my time with CE.

Cons

Success with CE is very 'survival of the fittest', you must work hard and be careful about your spending and other decisions, if you're not, your summer could be very stressful. However, for those that fully engage themselves, the possibilities are endless. I also think the Executive compensation plan should be bumped up; they put lot of time into their jobs and rightfully deserve a heightened percentage of total team production to make it worthwhile.

Be more selective in the hiring process of BM's, making failure more rare.
    Improve Executive compensation.
    Do not micro manage second year managers, they know how to run their business and have already contributed a lot of sales to the company, so let them work.
    Overall, the President and Vice President are great at what they do, and can teach you a ton.

Easy summer money but a little shady

Former Employee - Production Manager  in  Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Burlington, VT

Pros

If a branch manager works hard they can make a good amount of money. They'll usually pay their guys a small percentage if they generate the lead, that is if they knock on someone's door and convince them to set up an estimate. The jobs are divided into piece work, so if an employee can work quickly and cleanly they can get paid for 7 hours of work in 5 hours' time.

Cons

From what I remember during summers between college, the branch manager of a painting crew ended up with something around 35% of the total price paid for a paint job - the rest going to HQ. All corporate provides is a name, a little training and insurance. This is essentially just a summer job, even the branch and regional managers are college students. The piece work system encourages corner-cutting and can lead to deceptive business practices. For example, workers might tell their branch manager that they did two full coats when they perhaps only did one and touched up a few thin spots. The customer has been quoted for the full amount of labor, and often receives a shoddy product.

Business model designed in a way to make it extremely difficult to be profitable.

Pros

Work for yourself, you determine your own success

Cons

Management asked you to pay workers 5-6 hours for 8 hours of work, not acceptable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paint houses and sanding walls

Former Employee - Painter  in  Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Painter in Cranston, RI

Pros

I got to expand my skills

Cons

I'm not a big fan of heights

amazing learning experience for college students...but not much support from the company

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Braintree, MA

Pros

Sales, marketing, management, payroll, team building experience

Cons

Chance of not making much money
    Very difficult job for managers

More accountability on executives

An incredible testament of your will, you receive what you put in

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Stowe, VT
    Former Employee - District Manager in Stowe, VT

Pros

Opportunity to learn marketing, sales, recruitment, management, profit control and networking skills

Cons

Large Royalty fees to company, disconnected from staff due to phonecall communication and cross state territory

Great Place to Learn How to Run a Business, Make Some Friends, and Make Some Money.

Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager  in  Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Rochester, NH

Pros

I worked for Collegiate Entrepreneurs for a period of 5 years in three capacities- as a Branch Manager, a Regional Manager, as well as a Recruiter. I have to say my experience at Collegiate Entrepreneurs was enjoyable and rewarding. I began as a sophomore with a small branch, and by the time I left, I had completed almost 1 Million Dollars in production, and had earned upwards of $30,000 annually while still in College. I miss many of my colleagues from Collegiate, but I also developed lasting friendships with several others whom I still see regularly even though we have moved on into different career fields. I earned internship credit for my senior year of College through the company, and I went to Disney World, as well as 3 Carnival Cruises as rewards for my success in sales and production. Many of my employees have moved on to successful careers in Finance, Education, Sales, as well as Non Profit work. Collegiate Entrepreneurs helped me develop many real world Business Management skills that I have used in my Post-Graduate Education, as well as Employment. I am 100% confident that my success in Post-Graduate life is because of the time I spent, and experience I acquired from Collegiate Entrepreneurs.

Cons

I had no issues during my experience, but the company is based upon young people learning how to become successful entrepreneurs- there are certainly hiccups along the way, but thats what the Business world is, and thats what you need to learn.

Keep up the good work, I learned so much from all of you, and I am thankful every day.

If you like to work hard and play hard, this is your college internship

Pros

- Throughout my 2 years with the company I learned more about business and what it takes to run one, than I did in my 4 years of classes at Bryant business school
    - Hands down, best sales training and experience you can get while still in school
    - Great place to meet business oriented friends outside of your school - five years later a core chunk of us still hang out a few times a year
    - Fun an rewarding experience as a Branch Manager - make more money and close friends than you will at any other company while in school

Cons

- Contrary to the very rewarding Branch Manager position, the possible promotion position, the following year, to Executive Manager, is drastically underpaid for the amount of added work

*** Fix the Executive Manager comp plan

Great experience in the business world, but management didn't really care".

Pros

Learned a lot about sales

Cons

Very hard to earn money

Make BM's more profitable

Gained valuable work experience and relationships.

Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager  in  Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Concord, NH

Pros

I had a great time working for Collegiate Entrepreneurs, and I left with many valuable skills that will follow me for the rest of my life. Most notably, I acquired superb time management skills. I learned how to properly balance all the job responsibilities I had every day, while maintaining my own personal life. One of the other greatest skills I attained was the ability to sell. This is another skill that I can take with me throughout my life as it taught me how to be very conversational and personal. Furthermore, I had never been in a managing position. I fully enjoyed being able to lead, train and manage employees beneath me. The fact that their actions are your responsibility helped me become a great leader and manager. Lastly, the relationships that I obtained throughout my two years with the company will stay with me for the rest of my life. Not only did I become friends with other co-workers, but upper-management and even my employees. I definitely had a positive experience working with this company.

Cons

Although I did learn great time management skills, there were times when I was fairly busy. I am a hard worker and have a strong work ethic, so I embrace challenges like that. For other individuals, they might feel that there is a little too much pressure.

After reading some of the reviews I strongly disagree that the upper management does not care about the Branch Managers. I felt valuable and well supported at every step. Running a company is not for everyone and some people have a tough time being accountable for their results and like to shift blame.

Worked for Collegiate Entrepreneurs? Contribute to the Community!