Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Eric Crews

Buckle Up

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The first summer I spent with CE learning how to run my own business was an absolutely incredible experience. I learned far more about management and business in general in one summer than I have in 5 semesters of university-level business classes. I also made far more than I thought I could in a summer while in school. My second year was no different, however I nearly tripled my revenue from the year before, and more than doubled my income, with much appreciation for the executive support currently in place. Don't get me wrong, making it through this program was without a doubt the most difficult thing I've ever attempted to do, but it was well worth it. Prepare for lots of learning about the business world and about yourself, as you'll be pushed to your limits and be forced to grow.

Cons

Not for quitters. Like I said, this program is very challenging. If you aren't 100% committed to being successful, don't even waste your time. There were multiple points in my experience where I wanted nothing more than to quit and leave my efforts behind, but I stuck with it and I'm extremely glad I did. Most definitely not for those who are quick to give up in the face of adversity. If you're not willing to put in the effort, you will not have a rewarding experience.

Keep doing what you're doing, but maybe get more executive mentors so that each branch manager can get more direct focus and support from their exec.

One of the best experiences of my life

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a young naive college student who one day saw an email about an internship opportunity where I could run my own business. it ended up being Collegiate Entrepreneurs and I am so grateful I responded to that email. Collegiate taught me and 100 other college students the fundamental skills of business such as sales, marketing, estimating, customer interaction and so on. I was able to successfully run my own business from that training along with the help and support of the upper level management the entire length of the internship The skills and lessons i learned withing the company is single handily the best learning experience I have ever had and will hopefully lead me on to great things after i graduate college.

Cons

The program takes a lot of time and commitment. It is unlike any of your typical internship where you punch in and out. The stresses of running your own business are very real and you will have to overcome a lot of struggles. However, you will learn a TON and get to say that you ran your own business. Yes, it is hard to have a good work life balance but it is definitely not impossible to do.

Do your best to grow the company through other methods rather than emails. I easily could have skipped over the email and never would have herd about Collegiate. Overall the program is great but I think a major improvement could be how you get your interns and highly suggest coming up with new methods.

An everlasting impression to improve your skills.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This experience has really transformed me as a person. Although you are running your own business and gain the skills required to learn how to do that, the value is much greater. I've bettered myself as a person. I gained a level of confidence I never knew I could have and achieved much success. Like most people say, you get out what you put in. Although it was a struggle at certain points, what in life isn't when you are new to something. The great thing about the company is their guide you to overcoming those struggles and grow in both a business environment as well as a personal one.

Cons

Nothings perfect. Even with all the success there's always some things that aren't the best. One thing that difficult when working here is balancing life and work. Dedicating an ample amount of time to better grow your business brings its struggles of having fun outside of work.

Strong culture. Stick to it and more people will both succeed and enjoy themselves.

You get out of it what you put into it

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This program undoubtedly shaped the person I am today. Hard work is generally rewarded by an immense accumulation of skills, and a very nice income.
    -This program truly transforms your life: You will learn the in and outs of business
    -Valuable recruiting/hiring, management, marketing, HR, sales, customer service experience, etc.
    -Excellent income potential (upwards of $10k very common, $20k+ possible)
    -Flexibility of schedule
    -Excellent learning opportunities
    -Performance incentives can include skydiving, and always include a year-end cruise for those who qualify
    -Your success is often only limited by how much effort you give

Cons

-This is not a job for most people. This is hard work, can require long days. hectic weeks, and be very stressful. You are running a real business - expect to have the workload that this entails
    -One of the biggest problems is that, while generally unintentional, this company has a lot of theoretically good ideas/policies at the top that don't achieve their desired effect (can often feel like a general calling shots from the rear)
    -Recruiting process can be misleading depending on the recruiter
    -Work/life balance is terrible during school. I often worked 20-40 hours/wk during the school year
    -Millions of meetings. Many of them require travel, some require travel to Massachusetts on your dollar (they don't really clarify that)
    -Their biggest focus is in developing managers and business owners at the Branch Manager and Executive positions: they seem to forget about and neglect needs of the painters, who make this whole thing possible
    -General disorganization

-Be real. Care about each and every one of your employees, whether they are top level executives or part-time painters. Truly care about them as individuals.
    -Encourage saving. We don't need to travel all over kingdom-come, spending money that you could teach us to save towards student loans
    -Focus less on quantity and more on quality. Hire the right people the first time around, and TRULY take them under the wing and show them how to run an amazing business and exceed their own expectations

Best Job for a College Student

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working for CE was learning how to start a business from nothing. In the middle of winter, I was just some college kid walking around with flyers and business cards and in the middle of summer, I was being called by prospective customers constantly and being asked for more business. I learned a lot from my first summer here and made a lot of money, but the skills I gained from this experience will help me in the long run in getting any job I want. The company also has plenty of opportunities for students to move up in the ranks and learn even more leadership skills. Lastly, the cruise the company has in October really shows that they care about their workers and like to have fun. Their culture is extremely valuable to them and is what drives the company to success. Overall, this is probably the best job for any college student.

Cons

Depending on what your skill level is going into the program, different things can be extremely difficult to overcome. For me, I struggled for a while with organization, managing people, and keeping customers happy. But, by the end of the summer, I was able to overcome those problems and grow.

Keep the culture a priority and keep developing people!

Overly hyped up until you figure out the details

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros of working for Collegiate are exactly as they state: You will build and run your own "branch" of the company and realize all the hard work that goes into doing such a task. It will look great on your resume, especially if an employer takes the time to understand what a student in this program achieves in comparison to other standard internships. Very driven and focused leadership teams.

Cons

Many cons that outweigh the pros to really consider this as a viable position. Yes you do learn sales-the worst kind of sales. You will go door to door to drum up business and there is hardly any way to get around this. There is VERY LITTLE training in terms of how to paint properly, and it is only given out to a manager, it is then up to the manager to train their employees. (blind leading the blind) This lack of training is very evident in the lack of quality of work. The leadership team, though driven to work hard and make money, are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch. The most appealing aspect to becoming a branch manager is the promise of $10k+ average summer earnings per manager. CLARIFICATION! That number represents the total that a branch manager may make before incurring all personal expenses of the summer's work. Hundreds of dollars in gas, hundreds of dollars of ensuring your painters are happy, more than a grand in paying off the supplies that you have to buy for yourself and the paint crews. My guess is the average manager will come away with 6-8 thousand for a summer's work in which they worked 60+ hours a week. If you hire friends to work for you, you are left with an awful dilemma: pay your friends a fair amount and make nothing yourself or have all of your friends hate you by the end of the summer for being overworked and making peanuts.

Micro-management is not the only way to manage

Easy summer money but a little shady

Former Employee - Production Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If a branch manager works hard they can make a good amount of money. They'll usually pay their guys a small percentage if they generate the lead, that is if they knock on someone's door and convince them to set up an estimate. The jobs are divided into piece work, so if an employee can work quickly and cleanly they can get paid for 7 hours of work in 5 hours' time.

Cons

From what I remember during summers between college, the branch manager of a painting crew ended up with something around 35% of the total price paid for a paint job - the rest going to HQ. All corporate provides is a name, a little training and insurance. This is essentially just a summer job, even the branch and regional managers are college students. The piece work system encourages corner-cutting and can lead to deceptive business practices. For example, workers might tell their branch manager that they did two full coats when they perhaps only did one and touched up a few thin spots. The customer has been quoted for the full amount of labor, and often receives a shoddy product.

Through hard work and determination, impressive profits and valuable business skills can be achieved.

Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CE will be stressful and challenging, but as you work through these learning curves there will be drastic self-improvement that will better your entire life. CE provides the chance to learn and gain experience in every fundamental part of business. From sales to management, the client and employee facing you do as a Branch Manager is unrivaled. CE's real life business experience is the ultimate for college students looking to gain business skills and build their resume. Even years later, interviewers love hearing about my experience with CE, as well as all the skills I got out of it. And beyond resume boosting, I will forever take pride in running a business that generated over $130,000 in revenue and had ads in all the major newspapers in my area. So the experience at CE goes beyond the skills and experience gained, it will forever give you pride in what you accomplished. I will never forget, and always value my time with CE.

Cons

Success with CE is very 'survival of the fittest', you must work hard and be careful about your spending and other decisions, if you're not, your summer could be very stressful. However, for those that fully engage themselves, the possibilities are endless. I also think the Executive compensation plan should be bumped up; they put lot of time into their jobs and rightfully deserve a heightened percentage of total team production to make it worthwhile.

Be more selective in the hiring process of BM's, making failure more rare.
    Improve Executive compensation.
    Do not micro manage second year managers, they know how to run their business and have already contributed a lot of sales to the company, so let them work.
    Overall, the President and Vice President are great at what they do, and can teach you a ton.

Business model designed in a way to make it extremely difficult to be profitable.

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

Work for yourself, you determine your own success

Cons

Management asked you to pay workers 5-6 hours for 8 hours of work, not acceptable.

Paint houses and sanding walls

Former Employee - Painter in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Painter in Cranston, RI

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to expand my skills

Cons

I'm not a big fan of heights

Collegiate Entrepreneurs Photos