Collegiate Entrepreneurs

My Journey

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs(CE) for over two years and it has been has been the most fulfilling job that I have done in my life so far. I have learned more about running a business and how to be a manager by doing this program than I have in any of my business management courses at my University.
        My experience with CE so far has been rewarding, It has had its up and downs; Times when I thought the job was too difficult for me and I wanted to quit, but by pushing through it and being able to reflect on my experiences both in success and failures has really allowed my to grow as a person.
        After my first year with working CE I was promoted to the junior executive team and the best part of my job is working with new branch managers as they go their first entrepreneurial experience, helping them to grow and become successful. Knowing that I have been able to change the lives of others is the most rewarding part about working with CE as an Executive.

Cons

Working with CE has been the most difficult thing that I have done in my life. Upon reflection of each step of my journey I realized that if I had quit during the moments that I wanted to I would not have gotten what I got out of the program and I would probably hate CE right now.
    With that being said I would say that this program is not for people who like to have a solid structure in their work, are not able to problem solve and give up if something doesn't work the first, second or even the third time. If this sounds like you don’t do this program you will not like it, probably work make it through the whole things and most likely end up hating CE.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make sure that you have the right executives in your company, ones that want to be there to grow everyone who is going through the program. The executive is really the cornerstone to making an okay manage good and a good manage great.

2. Working here was as stressful as a roller coaster. Overall, it was a good experience.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

First hand knowledge of running your own business
    Great training sessions

Cons

Costs a lot to maintain everything despite their claims
    Executives become redundant and excessive

Advice to Management

Share a healthier piece of the wealth with the branch managers. The amount of work they put in everyday makes the pay too little

Life Changing

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job was by far the most intense, eye opening experience I've ever been a part of. I learned more in my first year about running a business and myself than I have in all my years in business school. When I came into the program I had no idea what to expect but I was eager to learn. What ensued after the program started was a series of difficult first time business experiences that I will never forget. The first time marketing my business to the local area, learning how to convey my ability to do the job and establish trust in a client, figuring out how to manage my own time, figuring out what I should be looking for in an employee and actually hiring on a team of people to work for me, knowing how to interact with a client when my employees screwed things up and make sure the client was happy in the end and finding out what really motivated me to want to deal with all the crazy things that can happen when running a business. My first year was the most challenging experience both personally and professionally that I've ever encountered. I'm very thankful that I did not give up even when all the signs pointed to it being a better idea to quit. It has changed my life for the better in everything that I do moving forward and although it tested me to my core I wouldn't have changed what I learned for anything.

Pros:
    - Many people complain that they can't get a job because they don't have experience...how can they get experience if no one gives them a chance? This company gives that chance to students that get hired on.
    - The hands on experience will teach you more about business than anything else that I've encountered
    - The company is committed to helping you succeed if you put in the effort
    - Once you get the hang of things the job becomes a lot more enjoyable
    - The company has good culture and you're surrounded by like minded college students that all want to do well
    - Opportunities for advancement after year 1

Cons

I don't think my experience is typical but I was a great example of Murphy's Law. I had just about every problem thrown at me that could happen. This encompassed a wide range of painful circumstances that made the job difficult. There isn't enough space for everything I had to overcome but the job forces you to get better at a lot of things.

I personally had to figure out how to become tough, stop procrastinating, plan ahead of time, learn how to balance work and life, stop over committing, not get disappointed with failing, not listen to the naysayers that told me to do something easier and not give up. Professionally I dealt with employees on multiple levels - not showing up on time, having them quit in the middle of a job and firing them for poor performance. Upset customers when their expectations were not met and even losing money on jobs when things did not go as planned. Learning how to continually put in marketing and sales efforts to hit my business plan goals. Financially plan out my spending so I could make my earnings last. Overall just being able to mentally handle and work through all the bad things that can happen.

Basically put this job is not for the faint of heart or for anyone that would quit when the going gets tough. In my experience the going WILL get tough no matter what and that's just a reality of business so if you think you just want to "try," to see what it is like then you won't do well. A person has to be committed to sticking it through regardless of the hardships to truly make it through the program.

Cons:
    - Success is 100% on how much effort you put into the program. It will not happen by itself.
    - It will be very stressful depending on how you manage your business
    - Sometimes your efforts don't always lead to results
    - Demotivation happens over time
    - Your mentor doesn't always catch every detail in your business so you'll need to be verbal about things you aren't sure about
    - If you aren't involved in your business you can lose money on jobs

Advice to Management

Continue leading with your values. They helped me get through a lot. Get more qualified mentors to provide quicker support to managers.

Buckle Up

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first summer I spent with CE learning how to run my own business was an absolutely incredible experience. I learned far more about management and business in general in one summer than I have in 5 semesters of university-level business classes. I also made far more than I thought I could in a summer while in school. My second year was no different, however I nearly tripled my revenue from the year before, and more than doubled my income, with much appreciation for the executive support currently in place. Don't get me wrong, making it through this program was without a doubt the most difficult thing I've ever attempted to do, but it was well worth it. Prepare for lots of learning about the business world and about yourself, as you'll be pushed to your limits and be forced to grow.

Cons

Not for quitters. Like I said, this program is very challenging. If you aren't 100% committed to being successful, don't even waste your time. There were multiple points in my experience where I wanted nothing more than to quit and leave my efforts behind, but I stuck with it and I'm extremely glad I did. Most definitely not for those who are quick to give up in the face of adversity. If you're not willing to put in the effort, you will not have a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but maybe get more executive mentors so that each branch manager can get more direct focus and support from their exec.

6. May be right for some people, not for me.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Learn an impressive sales process
    - Learn to run your own business
    - Significant responsibility
    - Build your own brand

Cons

- Have to spend your own money to get things started
    - Not enough help from superiors
    - If you come out losing money from the year management will do nothing to help you financially
    - Thrown into the deep end sink or swim
    - Often do a very bad job painting

Advice to Management

Have more training for the pricing of paint jobs. Make sure everyone is profitable.

7. Awful

Former Employee - Production Manager
    Former Employee - Production Manager

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

There really isn't much good but I guess them being really flexible with schedule helps

Cons

It was my branch managers first year doing this and he literally had no idea what he was doing. We went through minimal training and were expected to know how to do things right away. He was terrible at scheduling our work hours and would text us late the night before to let us know we would be working the next day. I ended up making absolutely no money because of their BS "piece-work" system. I would steer clear of this company if you could, it is not worth the trouble.

One of the best experiences of my life

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a young naive college student who one day saw an email about an internship opportunity where I could run my own business. it ended up being Collegiate Entrepreneurs and I am so grateful I responded to that email. Collegiate taught me and 100 other college students the fundamental skills of business such as sales, marketing, estimating, customer interaction and so on. I was able to successfully run my own business from that training along with the help and support of the upper level management the entire length of the internship The skills and lessons i learned withing the company is single handily the best learning experience I have ever had and will hopefully lead me on to great things after i graduate college.

Cons

The program takes a lot of time and commitment. It is unlike any of your typical internship where you punch in and out. The stresses of running your own business are very real and you will have to overcome a lot of struggles. However, you will learn a TON and get to say that you ran your own business. Yes, it is hard to have a good work life balance but it is definitely not impossible to do.

Advice to Management

Do your best to grow the company through other methods rather than emails. I easily could have skipped over the email and never would have herd about Collegiate. Overall the program is great but I think a major improvement could be how you get your interns and highly suggest coming up with new methods.

An everlasting impression to improve your skills.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This experience has really transformed me as a person. Although you are running your own business and gain the skills required to learn how to do that, the value is much greater. I've bettered myself as a person. I gained a level of confidence I never knew I could have and achieved much success. Like most people say, you get out what you put in. Although it was a struggle at certain points, what in life isn't when you are new to something. The great thing about the company is their guide you to overcoming those struggles and grow in both a business environment as well as a personal one.

Cons

Nothings perfect. Even with all the success there's always some things that aren't the best. One thing that difficult when working here is balancing life and work. Dedicating an ample amount of time to better grow your business brings its struggles of having fun outside of work.

Advice to Management

Strong culture. Stick to it and more people will both succeed and enjoy themselves.

Best Job for a College Student

Current Intern - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about working for CE was learning how to start a business from nothing. In the middle of winter, I was just some college kid walking around with flyers and business cards and in the middle of summer, I was being called by prospective customers constantly and being asked for more business. I learned a lot from my first summer here and made a lot of money, but the skills I gained from this experience will help me in the long run in getting any job I want. The company also has plenty of opportunities for students to move up in the ranks and learn even more leadership skills. Lastly, the cruise the company has in October really shows that they care about their workers and like to have fun. Their culture is extremely valuable to them and is what drives the company to success. Overall, this is probably the best job for any college student.

Cons

Depending on what your skill level is going into the program, different things can be extremely difficult to overcome. For me, I struggled for a while with organization, managing people, and keeping customers happy. But, by the end of the summer, I was able to overcome those problems and grow.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture a priority and keep developing people!

11. You get out of it what you put into it

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This program undoubtedly shaped the person I am today. Hard work is generally rewarded by an immense accumulation of skills, and a very nice income.
    -This program truly transforms your life: You will learn the in and outs of business
    -Valuable recruiting/hiring, management, marketing, HR, sales, customer service experience, etc.
    -Excellent income potential (upwards of $10k very common, $20k+ possible)
    -Flexibility of schedule
    -Excellent learning opportunities
    -Performance incentives can include skydiving, and always include a year-end cruise for those who qualify
    -Your success is often only limited by how much effort you give

Cons

-This is not a job for most people. This is hard work, can require long days. hectic weeks, and be very stressful. You are running a real business - expect to have the workload that this entails
    -One of the biggest problems is that, while generally unintentional, this company has a lot of theoretically good ideas/policies at the top that don't achieve their desired effect (can often feel like a general calling shots from the rear)
    -Recruiting process can be misleading depending on the recruiter
    -Work/life balance is terrible during school. I often worked 20-40 hours/wk during the school year
    -Millions of meetings. Many of them require travel, some require travel to Massachusetts on your dollar (they don't really clarify that)
    -Their biggest focus is in developing managers and business owners at the Branch Manager and Executive positions: they seem to forget about and neglect needs of the painters, who make this whole thing possible
    -General disorganization

Advice to Management

-Be real. Care about each and every one of your employees, whether they are top level executives or part-time painters. Truly care about them as individuals.
    -Encourage saving. We don't need to travel all over kingdom-come, spending money that you could teach us to save towards student loans
    -Focus less on quantity and more on quality. Hire the right people the first time around, and TRULY take them under the wing and show them how to run an amazing business and exceed their own expectations

Collegiate Entrepreneurs Photos