Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
4.2

Eric Crews

An everlasting impression to improve your skills.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This experience has really transformed me as a person. Although you are running your own business and gain the skills required to learn how to do that, the value is much greater. I've bettered myself as a person. I gained a level of confidence I never knew I could have and achieved much success. Like most people say, you get out what you put in. Although it was a struggle at certain points, what in life isn't when you are new to something. The great thing about the company is their guide you to overcoming those struggles and grow in both a business environment as well as a personal one.

Cons

Nothings perfect. Even with all the success there's always some things that aren't the best. One thing that difficult when working here is balancing life and work. Dedicating an ample amount of time to better grow your business brings its struggles of having fun outside of work.

Strong culture. Stick to it and more people will both succeed and enjoy themselves.

Best Job for a College Student

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working for CE was learning how to start a business from nothing. In the middle of winter, I was just some college kid walking around with flyers and business cards and in the middle of summer, I was being called by prospective customers constantly and being asked for more business. I learned a lot from my first summer here and made a lot of money, but the skills I gained from this experience will help me in the long run in getting any job I want. The company also has plenty of opportunities for students to move up in the ranks and learn even more leadership skills. Lastly, the cruise the company has in October really shows that they care about their workers and like to have fun. Their culture is extremely valuable to them and is what drives the company to success. Overall, this is probably the best job for any college student.

Cons

Depending on what your skill level is going into the program, different things can be extremely difficult to overcome. For me, I struggled for a while with organization, managing people, and keeping customers happy. But, by the end of the summer, I was able to overcome those problems and grow.

Keep the culture a priority and keep developing people!

Overly hyped up until you figure out the details

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros of working for Collegiate are exactly as they state: You will build and run your own "branch" of the company and realize all the hard work that goes into doing such a task. It will look great on your resume, especially if an employer takes the time to understand what a student in this program achieves in comparison to other standard internships. Very driven and focused leadership teams.

Cons

Many cons that outweigh the pros to really consider this as a viable position. Yes you do learn sales-the worst kind of sales. You will go door to door to drum up business and there is hardly any way to get around this. There is VERY LITTLE training in terms of how to paint properly, and it is only given out to a manager, it is then up to the manager to train their employees. (blind leading the blind) This lack of training is very evident in the lack of quality of work. The leadership team, though driven to work hard and make money, are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch. The most appealing aspect to becoming a branch manager is the promise of $10k+ average summer earnings per manager. CLARIFICATION! That number represents the total that a branch manager may make before incurring all personal expenses of the summer's work. Hundreds of dollars in gas, hundreds of dollars of ensuring your painters are happy, more than a grand in paying off the supplies that you have to buy for yourself and the paint crews. My guess is the average manager will come away with 6-8 thousand for a summer's work in which they worked 60+ hours a week. If you hire friends to work for you, you are left with an awful dilemma: pay your friends a fair amount and make nothing yourself or have all of your friends hate you by the end of the summer for being overworked and making peanuts.

Micro-management is not the only way to manage

Easy summer money but a little shady

Former Employee - Production Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If a branch manager works hard they can make a good amount of money. They'll usually pay their guys a small percentage if they generate the lead, that is if they knock on someone's door and convince them to set up an estimate. The jobs are divided into piece work, so if an employee can work quickly and cleanly they can get paid for 7 hours of work in 5 hours' time.

Cons

From what I remember during summers between college, the branch manager of a painting crew ended up with something around 35% of the total price paid for a paint job - the rest going to HQ. All corporate provides is a name, a little training and insurance. This is essentially just a summer job, even the branch and regional managers are college students. The piece work system encourages corner-cutting and can lead to deceptive business practices. For example, workers might tell their branch manager that they did two full coats when they perhaps only did one and touched up a few thin spots. The customer has been quoted for the full amount of labor, and often receives a shoddy product.

Through hard work and determination, impressive profits and valuable business skills can be achieved.

Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Executive Regional Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CE will be stressful and challenging, but as you work through these learning curves there will be drastic self-improvement that will better your entire life. CE provides the chance to learn and gain experience in every fundamental part of business. From sales to management, the client and employee facing you do as a Branch Manager is unrivaled. CE's real life business experience is the ultimate for college students looking to gain business skills and build their resume. Even years later, interviewers love hearing about my experience with CE, as well as all the skills I got out of it. And beyond resume boosting, I will forever take pride in running a business that generated over $130,000 in revenue and had ads in all the major newspapers in my area. So the experience at CE goes beyond the skills and experience gained, it will forever give you pride in what you accomplished. I will never forget, and always value my time with CE.

Cons

Success with CE is very 'survival of the fittest', you must work hard and be careful about your spending and other decisions, if you're not, your summer could be very stressful. However, for those that fully engage themselves, the possibilities are endless. I also think the Executive compensation plan should be bumped up; they put lot of time into their jobs and rightfully deserve a heightened percentage of total team production to make it worthwhile.

Be more selective in the hiring process of BM's, making failure more rare.
    Improve Executive compensation.
    Do not micro manage second year managers, they know how to run their business and have already contributed a lot of sales to the company, so let them work.
    Overall, the President and Vice President are great at what they do, and can teach you a ton.

Business model designed in a way to make it extremely difficult to be profitable.

I have been working at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

Work for yourself, you determine your own success

Cons

Management asked you to pay workers 5-6 hours for 8 hours of work, not acceptable.

Paint houses and sanding walls

Former Employee - Painter in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Painter in Cranston, RI

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to expand my skills

Cons

I'm not a big fan of heights

amazing learning experience for college students...but not much support from the company

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Braintree, MA

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Sales, marketing, management, payroll, team building experience

Cons

Chance of not making much money
    Very difficult job for managers

More accountability on executives

An incredible testament of your will, you receive what you put in

Former Employee - District Manager in Stowe, VT
    Former Employee - District Manager in Stowe, VT

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn marketing, sales, recruitment, management, profit control and networking skills

Cons

Large Royalty fees to company, disconnected from staff due to phonecall communication and cross state territory

If you like to work hard and play hard, this is your college internship

I worked at Collegiate Entrepreneurs

Pros

- Throughout my 2 years with the company I learned more about business and what it takes to run one, than I did in my 4 years of classes at Bryant business school
    - Hands down, best sales training and experience you can get while still in school
    - Great place to meet business oriented friends outside of your school - five years later a core chunk of us still hang out a few times a year
    - Fun an rewarding experience as a Branch Manager - make more money and close friends than you will at any other company while in school

Cons

- Contrary to the very rewarding Branch Manager position, the possible promotion position, the following year, to Executive Manager, is drastically underpaid for the amount of added work

*** Fix the Executive Manager comp plan