Collette Vacations, Inc.

Updated October 13, 2014
2.7

Daniel Sullivan Jr

Growing company with opportunity

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location- commutable from Worcester, southern MA, and RI
    Benefits
    Travel perks
    Free gym w/ trainers
    Philanthropy- local & global
    Conveniences like dry cleaning services, blood drives, flu shots, etc...
    Room for growth
    Great people
    Awesome culture
    Open door policy- management is always looking for ways to improve
    Great marketing that will continue to promote name recognition / brand

Cons

Due to company's growth, the parking situation is a constant battle. Employees have to block each other in during the day, so leaving for lunch is generally not an option.

Confusing

Current Employee - Tour Manager in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great travel opportunities, independence while on the road

Cons

No training, language skills not appreciated......at international escorted tour company.......send English speaking only guides to foreign destinations....disservice to clients

Embrace internationalism. Staff and tour managers should reflect the diversity of your product. Prepare yourselves for when U.S. Citizens are no longer permitted to lead tours in the E.U. Learn foreign languages and cultural differences in business and negotiation.....your haste growth without thought to embracing and reflecting on cultural differences has become a major point of embarrassment for this company.

Lacks Employee Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great health benefits & employee gym

Cons

This is a family run company so nepotism is the name of the game. There is no employee development plan unless you are part of "the family". You are hired into entry level positions and given the expectation that the company will provide advancement opportunities but that is not true. They are only interested in hiring candidates that have specific experience. They are not interested in training their current employees into new positions. Many employees are very unhappy because positions go to external candidates. The company hides behind the fact that they make a lot of internal transfers, when really those transfers are all lateral positions not advancements. Salaries are relatively lower than other companies.

Start talking to line level employees. Find out how many positions are given to external candidates vs. internal candidates. Your management team tells you everyone is happy and that things are going well but they are not. Provide a development plan for your employees to succeed and grow. Your employees want to learn but you hold them back. You have a lot of great resources within your own company but you choose to overlook them.

Let the professionals run the show

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time

Pros

The health insurance is well above average. I can't say enough about how wonderful this benefit is for employees and families.

Cons

Ridiculous demands by clueless leaders, being forced to answer to incompetent people who advanced because of who they are related to but have very few marketable skills, micromanaging runs rampant

Owner and his immediate family should not be involved in the day to day business running this company. Hire good people and sit back and collect the check. You do more harm than good.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc.

Pros

The benefits that Collette provides to their employees are really amazing - full access to a Wellness Center (built for employees and their family members), awesome health/dental (I had one Dr.'s Office tell me how lucky I was with Collette's payment of my deductible), 401k, etc. One of the best things about Collette is the ability to travel - who doesn't want to see the world!?! The employees are really what make this company great - I've never worked with so many positive, friendly, and caring people. Everyone is involved in volunteering efforts and we are always giving back to the community! I honestly never dread coming to work because we sell fun and get to work with amzing people.

Cons

I think some of the challenges for Collette are the 1/2 hour lunch and the inability of all members of the team to participate in activities during working hours - both of these "cons" are, of course, because of the need to be accessible to our customers.

This is the best company I have ever worked for--all past work experiences have led up to this.

Current Employee - Copywriter/Editor in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Copywriter/Editor in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growing company. Great employee culture: we're like a family here. Respect from superiors. Travel opportunities abound, of course. Brand-new employee Wellness Center. Great training and employee development, including tuition reimbursement. Profit-sharing; year-end bonuses. Four hours volunteering per month on company time. Open-door policy with management. Low turnover. I love coming here every day!

Cons

The growing number of employees at headquarters has led to parking challenges, which the company is trying to eliminate.

Keep up the good work!

Ridiculously Under-qualified Management! If you're not in Sales....nobody cares what you're doing all day!

Current Employee - Can't Disclose in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Can't Disclose in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company is dedicated to helping the community and the parts of the world that we travel to. However, it is no secret that they get tax benefits from it! Plus, it helps boost their reputation when people are candidly speaking about the company's real problems.

Cons

Benefits are average. Travel is unusual, but don't be mistaken! When you travel as an employee, you WORK throughout the tour! Nothing is as good as it looks on the surface.
    Leadership is a joke!! How can there be good leadership when there isn't much good Management!! Management is so under-qualified and there is very little accountability and follow-through. Don't count on anything being promised today to be reality tomorrow! Personal growth?? I have seen good, hard-working people be stunted and held down by management over and over again! Many of them are just robots, doing what they are told to do. There is no room for individual growth, and if you share a great idea, you will NEVER be credited for it! Creativity and personal experience are not welcome here! If you work at Collette,be prepared to leave your intelligence in the car! You won't need it.

Leadership at Collette sucks! J G seems to be the only one with any intelligence and maturity. Just because someone is related to you, does not qualify her/him to manage people! You can't teach people to be smart! It is partly because of these individuals that personal growth is pretty non-existent at Collette. It is amazing how employees with education, intelligence, experience, and motivation are quickly squashed! If they have any leg-up on their Supervisors, they are quickly slapped down! Do not tell anyone about your future goals and desires OR about your helpful experience!! It's not worth the punishment for actually using the brain-matter that you started here with!

One of the best places to work in Rhode Island. Amazing benefits that include free travel.

I have been working at Collette Vacations, Inc.

Pros

Benefits
    401k match
    Health and dental
    Free new gym built for employees
    Yearly bonus
    Casual summer
    Yearly travel
    Friendly coworkers
    Potlucks and parties
    Friendly environment
    Open door policy

Cons

Low starting salaries
    Micromanaging on some teams
    Some long term management is afraid of change
    Sometimes too conservative monetarily
    Department segregation / need more outings as a company to get to know other departments.

Past Sales Employee

I worked at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great company overall ...good culture. Home office is better than field. Excellent product. Long term stability.

Cons

Sales Dept is old school...high pressure & micro-managing. They listen in on telephone calls.

Absolute waste of time effort and money!! STAY AWAY!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette Vacations, Inc. full-time

Pros

What pros? They dangle benefits and training (Which btw is them locking you in a room and having 2 "Trainers" speak to you as if you were 4 years old and dont know what a mouse or keyboard are) in front of you as some sort of a huge perk to the amount of work you actually have to go through. Believe me there are no perks at alll

Cons

Too much to even write. Surrounded by people that are not professionals at all. the amount of gossip and lies that are flowing through this place is sickening. Totally unprofessional they hire their sales reps from bar-tending, waitressing, mail room backgrounds. there is not sales competition, nothing to push you. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU THERE IS A COMMISSION!!!!! Honestly just do not work here. Thats all I can say. there is no opportunity to grow and even if you do get bumped up ONCE its double hours double work and with barely any pay. NEED I SAY MORE!!!!???!!!!

Hmmm recognize who the true players are and who really wants to work and succeed and ohhh i dont know CAPITALIZE on it???!!!