Collins Consulting

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Collins

Overall positive experience with some hiccups

Financial Management Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsVery helpful in getting you brought onboard as a contractor, paid on time, knowledgeable employees. Good company overall.

ConsThe company does not keep you up to date on certain issues that you need to know like advance notice of the contract ending, nor is there great communication between them and their clients. I moved halfway across the country for a position and not only did the client not know I was arriving (at all), they informed me the contract was scheduled to end two months later! Thankfully it didn't, and it lasted ten months from the time I arrived. Almost enough to fulfill my year lease...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your contractors in the loop more with the contracts they are fulfilling.

Collins is a great company to work for!

IT Auditor (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe Collins team has been fantastic in helping me to find my latest opportunity. They are very professional to work with. I have found them to be extremely helpful whenever I have had a question about pay, benefits or anything else.

ConsNone that I can think of. They are doing a great job of managing me remotely. It would be nice if I could meet the HR and payroll teams in person.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Recruiter

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsCollins Consulting Inc. values and appreciates it's employees, and shows it often. Their approach towards recruiting is process driven, which seeks results from repeated efforts instead of demanding results and micromanaging the staff. Previous staffing firms I've worked for required tedious tracking of all activity, which created an environment where you were constantly looking over your shoulder.

Here at Collins we are given a great deal of autonomy, which works well for me. I am a self driven person, who aims to win, and being allowed to run my own desk, my way, has helped me be very successful, and reduces the level of stress.

From my experience, in order to find success at Collins Consulting Inc., you definitely need to be a self starter, who thinks outside the box, and isn't afraid to set trends and rock the boat when you know you have a good idea, and feel it will be in the best interest of the business.

Pros
    - Fair Wages / Commission Structure
    - Generous Paid time Off and Holidays
    - Fantastic Location in Schaumburg, IL
    - Approachable Management
    - Affordable Health Care / Health Care Options
    - Business Casual Dress Code / Free Parking

ConsAs far as the downsides here at Collins, the main issue is pure volume of workload. From a job security standpoint, there are PLENTY of positions to work, and in turn collect commissions, but sometimes it seems you barely get a moment to breath before the new wave of open jobs come in.

Some of the staff tends to dwell on the negative at times. However, this is not purposeful, and more of a bad habit, created over the years. Management has been very active in interacting with the recruitment team to stay focused on the positive.

Cons
    - Large workload volume can seem endless.
    - Limited Retirement Plan (no match)
    - Limited Life Insurance Options (Employee Funded)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep an open door approach and maintain the great work/life balance. Emphasize professional growth and lead by example. Hold the staff accountable to commitments, and continue to develop standardize processes, which will assist with time management, and keep the staff on track.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity to Grow

Sales Support (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsWhile working for Collins, I have been given the opportunity to learn and grow. It is with great initiative and the willingness to learn that I was able to grow into several different roles. I appreciate that Collins has invested in me to allow me to grow in my strengths. From what I have experienced, I see that it is important for Collins to be a company of integrity. It is a balance to satisfy both the client’s needs as well as their employees.

ConsCollins has a large volume of orders to fulfill, Collins has a large volume of orders to fulfill which in itself is not a Con. They could achieve more if they brought on more folks to help with the volume.

All and all, a good company to work for !!!

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsI've been working at Collins for about a year, and i must say that over that course of time there are a bunch of pros for working here. Firstly, the company's staff (both employees and management) are all friendly, relatable, and easy to work with. In addition, the management works with individual recruiters to cater to their strengths and teach them the ways of success in this industry. The management is also really good at allowing their employees to maintain their work life balance.
    There are also other smaller perks which spice up the recruiting experience, like friendly team competitions from time to time. Last year there was a competition for an all expenses paid trip to New York, which was really fun.

ConsCollins is located in Schaumburg, which can be cumbersome to commute to from some suburbs and Chicago. However, management is very reasonable about being delayed by traffic for all their employees.

Needs Improving...

Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

Pros- Friendly coworkers of same age
    - Personal desks
    - Earn PTO right away

Cons- No Headsets for high amount of phone usage
    - Typical cubical posiiton
    - Very numbers driven (monitor phone usage, minutes inbound and outbound)
    - Unrealistic weekly goals
    - Hardly any personal or face-to-face interaction with client or candidates
    - Management "not on the same page"
    - Very difficult to make commission
    - Office is very boring and dull
    - Very little training after hiring
    - Management rude to recruiters when they make mistakes
    - Technology of office equipment is very old and interferes with work quite often (outdated)
    - Micromanaging from Managers
    - Office is heavy on paper usage and has no recycling (lack of social responsibility)
    - Small company (no vertical movement)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that you are all on the same page. Recruiters shouldn't be getting in trouble because of disagreements in different processes that different managers would rather do and others wouldn't.

Would not recommend

Recruiter (Current Employee)

ProsGood location, nice ( non-management) staff.

ConsManagement is very territorial. Often talks down to the recruiters. Extremely numbers driven to the point of not caring about anything else. Have found that salary is very compared to other recruiting firms in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more and have a little faith that they might actually know what they are doing.

A great opportunity to build a solid foundation in Recruiting.

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsWhile I was originally concerned about the previous Glassdoor reviews, I have found Collins Consulting to be a very positive experience. Throughout my first six months at Collins, I have been provided one-on-one training of all the aspects of IT Recruiting. It definitely has been a hit the ground running opportunity, but success is achievable by applying the lessons learned throughout the first three months. Both upper management and the account managers offer great insight on how to improve your recruiting techniques with every new job. The salary + commission pay structure allows for a team oriented, yet competitive work environment. Also after a recent expansion there are now individual work areas available for the entire team. Judging from the previous reviews there have been many adjustments made to their previous management techniques.

ConsThe previous negative reviews are discomforting and raise concerns about the possibility of building longevity there.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the improvements and you will build a stronger, more versatile recruiting team.

WORST EVER

Any Position (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThe people are great but often walk around with frowns and you can see the frustration in their faces. There are no pros to this company what so ever....

ConsDuring the interview process you will think they are a typical company but once in the job you will get very little, if any training. There will be all kinds of material on how they prefer a job to be done but they leave it very generalized so they can blame if not done to their liking. They micromanage and change processess on a constant basis. They will can call you out in front of others so be prepared for unprofessionalism. They subject individual employees to senior management harrassment and will pick on them everyday all day until someone else comes on their radar. It is a husband and wife team and they fight and are disrespectful to each other....the other senior likes to bully people.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micromanaging and learn to be professionals. Quit bullying your employees, it doesn't work~ Quit the "I am superior" attitude and learn what real leaders do to motivate their best assets (their people). Quit the blame game and take some responsibility. Show some respect and stop misrepresenting how the company truly operates.

Avoid.

Recruiter (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThere are indeed some very smart, hardworking people here, including in management. Major clients on the list, and an okay place to enter recruitment. Upper management actually does listen to employees.

ConsZero mobility. Very low salaries with no chance of a raise. Constant threats of termination for not meeting unattainable metrics based on some very strange ideas about the recruiting lifecycle - they monitor your talk time, outbound calls, and yes, even bathroom breaks. Almost no actual training. Absurdly process-oriented workflows.

A lot of promises were made when I interviewed that never panned out, like comprehensive training and the possibility to work from home. To be fair, they never promised an eventual pay increase, which is wise because nobody ever gets one.

Polite disagreement with middle management nets you a screaming fit in a public area of the building and subsequent vilification.

They also changed the commission structure earlier this year so that in theory it's possible to do quite well on a placement, but in practice (volume recruiting) pretty tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people. Give them raises when they manage to succeed despite the various levels of bureaucracy required to even get a submittal out the door. Middle management should not be allowed to mistreat recruiters - it may be a family business but a certain level of professional courtesy should still apply. Give account management some autonomy and client ownership - they know what they're doing. If you want to micromanage your people, it follows that you are accountable for their failures as well as their successes.

Worked for Collins Consulting? Contribute to the Community!